Migration Access Code.

Old July 28th 09, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Migration Access Code.

What's it for?
Is it to keep you no. like a PAC on Mobile Networks?

--
+-+-+-+-+
|a|n|d|y|

Old July 28th 09, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
What's it for?
Is it to keep you no. like a PAC on Mobile Networks?

By "no." I presume you mean "number"?
No - broadband doesn't have a number.

It's a code number you need to get from your old ISP and give to the new one
when you change suppliers, so that your broadband can be easily transferred
between providers.

George

Old July 28th 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:57:53 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

snip
Sorry my confusion stems from only having experience of mobile and
fibre optic broadband.
I've just realised adsl BB comes down your phone line & you have the
same telephone number irrespective of isp
Also, I've been told that the mac ensures that your internet access
isn't down for too long whilst you swap providers.
--
+-+-+-+-+
|a|n|d|y|

Old July 28th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Darling

wrote:

snip
Sorry my confusion stems from only having experience of mobile and fibre
optic broadband.
I've just realised adsl BB comes down your phone line & you have the
same telephone number irrespective of isp Also, I've been told that the
mac ensures that your internet access isn't down for too long whilst you
swap providers.

More info at
http://www.broadbandmart.co.uk/Switc...-Provider.htm?
Id=5&MsgType=BroadBandGuide

"Migration Access Codes (MAC)

Migration Access Codes were made to facilitate the ease in transfer of a
broadband connection from one service provider to another. Basically, the
Migration Access Code is a serial number with which one can identify your
broadband connection within the local network. In case you opt for a
switch, all you would need to do is provide this code to your new service
provider and they will transfer your connection under their service.

Using a Migration Access Code ensures a smooth and a hassle free transfer
of broadband service while you do not stay without a broadband connection
at any point of time. So, you need not wait for an engineer to visit your
premise and initiate the change

If you are on the ADSL connection, your service provider should indeed
provide you with a MAC code when requested. But if you are on a cable
connection or an LLU, you cannot get a Migration Access Code and hence
you will need to wait for new connection to be set up and get connected.
Broadband Migration Process

Broadband Migration Process can be very well done online as well as
through customer call center. It makes sense for you to clearly check out
what you are getting it and whether it suits your requirement and your
budget as well.

You will also need to check from your new broadband provider about the
time taken for the actual transfer and what all precautions you need to
take regarding the same.

You should also confirm the status of your email account and other
details when you opt for the broadband switch. Most of the time, you will
be able to access free web based mail services while the status of your
paid email services needs to be confirmed with the new service
providers."

Regards
Gordon
Old July 28th 09, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Gordon
Darling writes

More info at
http://www.broadbandmart.co.uk/Switc...-Provider.htm?
Id=5&MsgType=BroadBandGuide

"Migration Access Codes (MAC)

Migrations Authorisation Code (MAC) Broadband Migrations Process

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bb_migration/
--
Ian