Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

Old July 29th 09, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Default Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

Interesting thread on The Consumer Action Group
http://tinyurl.com/l8232h and shows consistency in the lack of
customer service. In particular some of the employees are prepared to
offer what the company itself fails at.

Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

Hi Everybody

Are Plusnet [allegedly] Stealing peoples money? A dramatic title but I
believe they may well be!

Plusnet recently introduced 'unlimited' broadband for the first time
and also updated and changed its available packages.

They have introduced different pricing structures that are dependant
on where you live. The value package is 5.99 for 3 months then if you
live in a market 3 area it is still 5.99 but if not then it is 11.99
per month. Likewise 'unlimited is 11.99 for 3 months, then either
15.99 or 19.99 depending on whether your in a market 3 area or not.

By Plusnets definition a market 3 area is one where 4 or more
different ISP's are available through the exchange or the exchange
services more than 10,000 homes.

So anyway I went to have a look at thier map to see what area I lived
in. It came up as a market 2 area. However I know that there are more
than 4 ISP's available through my exchange as I know people who have
the following ISP's;
Plusnet - Me
BT
Tiscali
Sky Connect
Talk Talk
AOL
O2

This definately in excess of 4 ISP's and I am also pretty sure the
exchange services over 10,000 homes. So I opted to contact Plusnet and
challenge them on this.

The response I got in writing is;

3) I have looked into your Market 2 rating. You are completely correct
in stating that you have 4+ providers in the area and therefore ought
to be in Market 3. the market ratings are set by Ofcom, and we are
legally bound to follow their regulations and costing systems. I would
encourage you to contact them directly to look into this one for you.

Now I think this is an outrage, they are hiding behind OFCOM to
justify charging people more than they should be expected to pay.

They say they are legaly bound but at the end of the day I am quite
sure that OFCOM do not set their pricing structure? Therefore if they
wanted to charge people living in my area the lesser price they could
and how could doing that be in breach of any legality?

I think that Plusnet are charging people the higher rates purely to
boost their profits, or should I say BT which is who owns Plusnet and
I do not think it is right. I also do not agree that broadband should
be priced by a post code lottery but if they are going to have it then
surely it should be done fairly. Plusnets own FAQ's even state if you
your area changes to a market 3 your pricing structure will change as
well, so surely technically at least Plusnet are [allegedly] stealing
peoples money?

I am contacting OFCOM about this matter and will update here when I
have a result. In the meantine what do you think about this?

The area by the way is, Scarborough North Yorkshire.

Simon

Hi again

I have just got off the phone to OFCOM. Oh Dear!

According to OFCOM Plusnet have blatantly lied, there is nowhere in
OFCOM regulations that Plusnet have to abide by any pricing structure,
neither are they leagally bound in any way. OFCOM do not set pricing
structures or tell ISP's what and when to charge its subscribers.

OFCOM have lodged my complaint against Plusnet and told me to contact
a company called CISAS, who will investigate this matter and in the
words of the OFCOM operator turn it inside out. I have contacted CISAS
and they are sending me a complaint pack. I would have liked to talk
to someone there but unfortunately it was only a recorded message
enabling me to get the complaint pack.

In the meantine while I wait for this to arrive, I am going to
complain to Plusnet using it's own complaint system, which OFCOM also
advised.

I am also wondering if it is worth giving BBC Watchdog a call, to see
if they want to run a story??

I would also urge everyone who has Plusnet to check to see if they are
being overcharged and to complain.

For information, I am currently on the Your Way option 2 package that
costs me 14.65 a month (15gb allowance), if I upgrade to one of their
new packages (new contract 18 months) I should be able to get either
unlimited for 15.99 or value for 5.99 and not 19.99 or 11.99
respectively.

Simon

Wiki info on them here PlusNet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the price difference due to where you live distasteful as
plusnet is owned by BT, and BT pride themselves on treating all
customers equally.

I agree with your sentiments, I do not believe it is a fair way at
all. I would actually prefer the same price across the board for
everyone but if they ar going to have the pricing policy they have
then it has to be implemented correctly and those who live in a market
3 area should get the savings.

I am still waiting for Plusnet to have the decency to reply to my last
communication to them.

Sorry Rooster, I didn't mean the title to be libelous, I meant it in
the sence of asking a question.

10th March 2009, 20:43 #5 (permalink)
Rooster-UK
Site Team

Your bank owes you an awful lot more money than you realise See here

Cagger since : Mar 2006
I am in: Birmingham.
Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

OK, we just have to be very careful.

Regards, Rooster.

10th March 2009, 22:07 #6 (permalink)
Simon7685
Gold Account Customer

We need funds
Please donate something

Cagger since : May 2007
I am in: Scarborough
Are Plusnet [Allegedly] Stealing peoples money??

Interestingly Plusnet have now acknowledged that the information it
gave me was incorrect. However it stops short of an apology and has
only done this via it's own forum where I also raised the issue. The
official communication from me remains unanswered.

Old July 29th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I would also urge everyone who has Plusnet to check to see if they are
being overcharged and to complain.

Better to urge everyone who has Plusnet to migrate to a decent
ISP with good customer service, as soon as they are free to do
so.
That's the only language that Plusnet understands.
As customers leave Plusnet will get more focused on
retaining the few that are left, who get a better service
anyway as there is less contention.
Old July 29th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eps

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

Try this one;
CUT THE WIRES AND GET STUFFED.

How you getting on with your gay little DSL tester small timer?

I am on cable, don't have dsl tester nor any need for one.
Old July 30th 09, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spamtastic Spastic

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:54:22 +0100, eps ate alphabet spaghetti and shat
out:

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

Try this one;
CUT THE WIRES AND GET STUFFED.

How you getting on with your gay little DSL tester small timer?

I am on cable, don't have dsl tester nor any need for one.

A couple of observations 'eps'. Only a few weeks ago you were complaining
of packet loss on the BE network. Is that 'cable' where you come from?

Is there a reason you've answered the post following up Bassplus? Are you
acquainted? Is it an alter-ego? I note you are both using the same small-
fry news server: aioe.org. That must be some coincidence Andrew.

--
political correctness: The safety net protecting deaf blind disabled
ethnic minority gays & lesbians with odd religious beliefs from reality
Old July 30th 09, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

Try this one;
CUT THE WIRES AND GET STUFFED.

How you getting on with your gay little DSL tester small timer?

I am on cable, don't have dsl tester nor any need for one.

A couple of observations 'eps'. Only a few weeks ago you were complaining
of packet loss on the BE network. Is that 'cable' where you come from?

Is there a reason you've answered the post following up Bassplus? Are you
acquainted? Is it an alter-ego? I note you are both using the same small-
fry news server: aioe.org. That must be some coincidence Andrew.

I think we all know who you are now Johnson so you can go back to
pretending you're a BT engineer who works for Plusnet support.

Old July 30th 09, 07:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spamtastic Spastic

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:13:00 +0100, Bassplus ate alphabet spaghetti and
shat out:

You are being careless and sloppy now tut tut. What time does the bus
come and pick you up for the day centre?

Old July 30th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eps

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

Try this one;
CUT THE WIRES AND GET STUFFED.

How you getting on with your gay little DSL tester small timer?

I am on cable, don't have dsl tester nor any need for one.

A couple of observations 'eps'. Only a few weeks ago you were complaining
of packet loss on the BE network. Is that 'cable' where you come from?

Is there a reason you've answered the post following up Bassplus? Are you
acquainted? Is it an alter-ego? I note you are both using the same small-
fry news server: aioe.org. That must be some coincidence Andrew.

Yeah I was on BE when I posted that, I have moved since then. Now I am
on cable.
Old July 30th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spamtastic Spastic

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:01:17 +0100, eps ate alphabet spaghetti and shat
out:

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

Try this one;
CUT THE WIRES AND GET STUFFED.

How you getting on with your gay little DSL tester small timer?

I am on cable, don't have dsl tester nor any need for one.

A couple of observations 'eps'. Only a few weeks ago you were
complaining of packet loss on the BE network. Is that 'cable' where you
come from?

Is there a reason you've answered the post following up Bassplus? Are
you acquainted? Is it an alter-ego? I note you are both using the same
small- fry news server: aioe.org. That must be some coincidence Andrew.

Yeah I was on BE when I posted that, I have moved since then. Now I am
on cable.

And happen to be using the very same news server as 'bassplus' (a very
small and limited usenet service use by a handful of people) in the very
same group.

Would you call that coincidental Andrew?

Old July 30th 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eps

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

And happen to be using the very same news server as 'bassplus' (a very
small and limited usenet service use by a handful of people) in the very
same group.

Would you call that coincidental Andrew?

My ISP does not provide a news server so I use one of the many free text
news servers.

I guess you could call it a coincidence that I use the same server as
someone else. Is more than one person posting in this group using the
same server particularly rare ?.
Old July 30th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spamtastic Spastic

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:16:26 +0100, eps ate alphabet spaghetti and shat
out:

Spamtastic Spastic wrote:

And happen to be using the very same news server as 'bassplus' (a very
small and limited usenet service use by a handful of people) in the
very same group.

Would you call that coincidental Andrew?

My ISP does not provide a news server so I use one of the many free text
news servers.

I guess you could call it a coincidence that I use the same server as
someone else. Is more than one person posting in this group using the
same server particularly rare ?.

It is with that one Andrew. There is also an issue with timing of
messages and some material in other groups, but hey - like you say -
could be coincidence. Just like it's coincidence that I live less than
two miles away.