BT Internet

Old July 30th 09, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Default BT Internet

I think I am going to have to move ISP, as have many (most?) of the
other customers of the ISP that I have used for many years, because of
the takeover by Breathenet.

I am thinking of BT Internet but trying to decode all the small print.

With Option 3 and "Home and Away" there is the mobile broadband dongle.
This seems to be free for 18 months, it is hard to see what happens
after 18 months. Do they give you time to cancel any contract on the
mobile broadband then or just start charging? I like the idea of having
occasional use available (I have a 3 dongle at the moment that I top up
when I need to use it away from home).

The free WiFi access appears to be conditional on becoming a BT FON
access point. I don't think I would get many people using it where I
live but what bandwidth does it take up and presumably only when someone
is using it?

I am unlikely to use the maximum allocation for mobile broadband usage
but I am aways wary of statements about some very high rate per MB if
you exceed it. Do they warn in some way before charging this high rate?

I have several routers of my own, presumably you are obliged to use
their one because of BT FON?

MB
Old July 30th 09, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , MB
writes
I think I am going to have to move ISP, as have many (most?) of the
other customers of the ISP that I have used for many years, because of
the takeover by Breathenet.

I am thinking of BT Internet but trying to decode all the small print.

[...]

The free WiFi access appears to be conditional on becoming a BT FON
access point.

No - you only need to sign up to FON, which isn't quite the same thing.

I don't think I would get many people using it where I
live but what bandwidth does it take up

500kbps max.

and presumably only when someone
is using it?

Yes.

I have several routers of my own, presumably you are obliged to use
their one because of BT FON?

No.
--
Ian
Old July 30th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:49:58 +0100, MB wrote:

[...]

I would not recommend BT internet. Everyone I know who have used them
have had major problems.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Old July 31st 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

The message
from Ian Cummings contains these words:

In message , MB
writes
I think I am going to have to move ISP, as have many (most?) of the
other customers of the ISP that I have used for many years, because of
the takeover by Breathenet.

I am thinking of BT Internet but trying to decode all the small print.

[...]

The free WiFi access appears to be conditional on becoming a BT FON
access point.

No - you only need to sign up to FON, which isn't quite the same thing.

I don't think I would get many people using it where I
live but what bandwidth does it take up

500kbps max.

and presumably only when someone
is using it?

Yes.

I have several routers of my own, presumably you are obliged to use
their one because of BT FON?

No.

Thanks, that sounds quite good.

Any idea about what happens with the mobile broadband dongle after the
18 months free period? Presume no obligation to transfer to a contract
for it?

MB
Old August 4th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

The message
from Ian Cummings contains these words:

In message , MB
writes
I think I am going to have to move ISP, as have many (most?) of the
other customers of the ISP that I have used for many years, because of
the takeover by Breathenet.

I am thinking of BT Internet but trying to decode all the small print.

[...]

The free WiFi access appears to be conditional on becoming a BT FON
access point.

No - you only need to sign up to FON, which isn't quite the same thing.

The BT website suggests otherwise

"If you leave BT FON you'll no longer get allocated Wi-Fi minutes. You
won't be able to share bandwidth with other members of the community or
log on at BT Openzone. No other community members will be able share
your home bandwidth."

or are you saying that if you sign up then use your own router which is
not configured for BT Fon then they don't notice?

They do confirm that there is no obligation to mobile broadband contract
of any sort at the end of 18 months.

MB
Old August 4th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , MB
writes
[...]

Yup - that's what happens if you leave BT FON, but that's not what the
OP asked. He wanted to know if you could get the free Wi-Fi minutes
without opening up your own device as a hotspot that others can use, to
which the answer is yes.

It does mean signing up to BT FON though.

or are you saying that if you sign up then use your own router which is
not configured for BT Fon then they don't notice?

It's covered in the FAQs.
--
Ian
Old August 4th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

[...]

Gets quite complicated!
Old August 4th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

[...]

It does ? How so ? Seems straightforward to me...

--
Ian
Old August 4th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Helen Deborah Vecht

I am another zetnet refugee of sorts.
BT has supplied my broadband for the past 3.5 years.

They offer better deals to new customers than existing ones; that dongle
would cost me 129!
I have a Vodafone PAYG BB dongle which was 39 and had some preloaded
credit I've not yet used up.

I have signed up to FON but seldom ever found a hot spot where I could
use it. It's no great shakes really. I have only used BT's Wifi for an
hour at Heathrow once, 18 months ago.

I used their Home Hub till it failed, then used my own router. They
can't do anything about this AFAIK.

I have had little trouble with BT as an ISP as such BUT
I'm paying quite a lot
My speeds are mediocre (about 1.5Mbps when I'm paying for 'up to 8')

I have BT Total BB I think.
BT supply my landline.

Beware of termination charges if you decide to change supplier; they are
what really 'traps' the user.

--
Helen Vecht
Edgware