Hmm..0870

Old July 30th 09, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Default Hmm..0870

Russell Hafter News wrote:

use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
lines.

I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
doesn't apply to mobiles.

But where does that leave:
1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
2. VoIP ?

Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for daytime calls
to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or both to bring these
into line with 01/02/03 calls?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 30th 09, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Roger Mills wrote on 30/07/2009 :
Russell Hafter News wrote:

use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
lines.

I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
doesn't apply to mobiles.

But where does that leave:
1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
2. VoIP ?

Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for daytime calls
to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or both to bring these
into line with 01/02/03 calls?

There is no requirement for a CP to bring them in to line with
01/02/03. As the wholesale cost of calling 0870 is much mucg higher
than the whoilesale cost of geo numbers, if it were enforced, CPs may
have to increase call charges to 01/02/03.

The actual wording from Ofcom is:

We have decided not to require the use of pricing announcements and are
presenting modified proposals

1.6 We are proposing that we should implement the changes to the way
0870 calls are charged but have modified our proposals in the light of
the problems that might be caused by announcements. Instead of
announcements we are proposing that CPs wishing to charge more for 0870
calls than for geographic calls would be subject to new requirements to
display their 0870 charges prominently on price lists and advertising/
promotional materials

Old August 3rd 09, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote:

Russell Hafter News wrote:

use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
lines.

I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
doesn't apply to mobiles.

But where does that leave:
1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
2. VoIP ?

Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for
daytime calls to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or
both to bring these into line with 01/02/03 calls?

To (partially) answer my own question:

I emailed both Call18866 and voip.co.uk to ask them how they were responding
to the Ofcom directive.

I haven't had a reply from call18866 - now why doesn't that surprise
me(?!) - and their tariff list is still showing 9ppm on weekdays.

*However*, voip.co.uk did respond - saying that they were bringing 0870
calls into line with 01/02/03 calls. They didn't actually achieve it on 1st
August (or, if they *did*, it wasn't reflected in their published tariff)
*but* - as of about lunchtime today, they are now showing UK 'National Rate'
calls as being 1ppm at all times - the same a geographic numbers.

RESULT!!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 3rd 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Rufus Stone

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:34:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

*However*, voip.co.uk did respond - saying that they were bringing 0870
calls into line with 01/02/03 calls. They didn't actually achieve it on 1st
August (or, if they *did*, it wasn't reflected in their published tariff)
*but* - as of about lunchtime today, they are now showing UK 'National Rate'
calls as being 1ppm at all times - the same a geographic numbers.

RESULT!!

One thing some voip.co.uk customers may not be aware of is that they
have withdrawn their 'UK Monthly Bundle'. Only older residential
customers have (had) this package and kept it by keeping their
accounts in credit.

According to voip.co.uk:-

"Due to the recent changes regarding 0870 NTS numbers we've had to
revoke the UK pack as this cannot support the required alteration. But
continuing to offer the UK Pack after August 1st 2009 without the
support for 0870 numbers the UK Pack we would be in breach of the new
Ofcom regulation."

If you were on this package you will probably find that it has now
gone and you will now be paying 1ppm for each UK call.

Old August 3rd 09, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Rufus Stone used his keyboard to write :
wrote:

[...]

They obviously don't understand the "regulation".

call18866 do though. They're perfectly entitled to charge whatever they
want for calls to 0870, providing their price list states so clearly.

Old August 4th 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Rufus Stone wrote:

"Due to the recent changes regarding 0870 NTS numbers we've had to
revoke the UK pack as this cannot support the required alteration. But
continuing to offer the UK Pack after August 1st 2009 without the
support for 0870 numbers the UK Pack we would be in breach of the new
Ofcom regulation."

If you were on this package you will probably find that it has now
gone and you will now be paying 1ppm for each UK call.

No, I was never on this package. It's not been available to new starters for
quite a while, although it *was* available when I first started using
voip.co.uk An analysis of my call patterns convinced me that it wouldn't
save me anything anyway, so I'm not too bothered by its withdrawal -
although I appreciate that some people might be. [I spend less than 2 per
month on voip calls at 1ppm, especially now that I get free BT evening and
weekend calls.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 4th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Jono wrote:

They [voip.co.uk] obviously don't understand the "regulation".

call18866 do though. They're perfectly entitled to charge whatever
they want for calls to 0870, providing their price list states so
clearly.

.. . . and provided they don't describe them as 'National Rate' - which they
don't, so they'll probably carry on charging 9ppm on weekdays. I won't be
making any 0870 calls via their service!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 4th 09, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Urban Fox

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:48:19 +0100, Jono
wrote:

They obviously don't understand the "regulation".

Some of the cynics amongst us might think that this was a good
opportunity to remove a less profitable plan from the portfolio.