Alternative to BT / Demon Ripoff ?

Old July 30th 09, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Alternative to BT / Demon Ripoff ?

I'm paying BT for a line rental and this is costing me 50 a quarter.
This includes free weekend calls, 1571 call back charges, and other
'services.' However I do not use the line except for broadband by
another supplier. I don't even use Friends & Family.

The ISP I use is Demon Home 800. For this I pay 260 a year.

I have a Carphone Whorehouse 'Fresh' PAYG phone which I top up by 15
every two months or s. This costs me about 90.

The total 'package' come out at about 550 a year.

Please can someone suggest ways of bringing these costs down.

I thought of taking out a Post Office landline rental + broadband
package. This is a damn sight cheaper than BT & Demon.

But then I thought of ditching the landline anyway and using a '3'
Internet dongle on my laptop.

Also with a '3' phone I get free calls via Skype. And with a Skype 'Go
To' I can call anywhere in the world for the price of a local call.
Recently a 20 minute call via Skype to a NZ landline cost less than
1.

I can also use a free WiFi connection at most cafes.

So what do folks reckon? What's the best way to go to keep costs down?

BTW I'm not into file sharing or downloading gigabytes.

Many thanks - Chris B.
Old July 30th 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

CJB wrote:
[...]

TalkTalk seems to work as long as you don't download too much. I
wouldn't use them but I know folk who do and are happy with them.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old July 30th 09, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Also with a '3' phone I get free calls via Skype. And with a Skype 'Go
To' I can call anywhere in the world for the price of a local call.
Recently a 20 minute call via Skype to a NZ landline cost less than
1.

How much less than 1?
I ask because you make a poor case for Skype, when with most Betamax
clones the same NZ call would be free.

How much do you pay Skype for a call to a UK mobile?
More than 5ppm?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 31st 09, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"CJB" wrote in message
But then I thought of ditching the landline anyway and using a '3'
Internet dongle on my laptop.

First of all are you near a Three 3.5g BTS?
Needs to be 3.5g or you'll only get under 400kbps

Steve Terry

Old July 31st 09, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 00:22:29 +0100, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

snip
400 kbps with 3 You'll be lucky!
--
+-+-+-+-+
|a|n|d|y|

Old July 31st 09, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

wrote:

snip
400 kbps with 3 You'll be lucky!

Using a Nokia 6120c as a HSDPA modem i get up to 2Mbps
download from a local Three 3.5g BTS

Average is around 1.3 to 1.5 Mbps

Upload i get up to 300kbps, average around 100kbps

Steve Terry

Old August 1st 09, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

CJB wrote:

I'm paying BT for a line rental and this is costing me 50 a quarter.
This includes free weekend calls, 1571 call back charges, and other
'services.' However I do not use the line

Go to 1899.com then !

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address