Homeplug to *extend* a network?

Old August 1st 09, 08:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nozza

Default Homeplug to *extend* a network?

I am thinking of using homeplug to extend an existing netwrok.
everything on the network is working fine, there's simply a room where
I can't get access to the wired and wireless network.

If I were to buy two homeplug adapters, one for the currently
inaccessible room, and one to attach to the existing router, would the
homeplugged computer be able to access all the other network devices
and would the other devices be able to access the homeplugged
computer?

I have looked around and all the homepluggy examples show a
homeplugged network where all devices use vast arrays of homeplugs

Am thinking of getting "Twin Pack 85Mb Homeplug Ethernet Adapter" -
the 85MB fine for what I want at the mo.

Does homeplug "mix and match" okay?

Thanks

Noz
Old August 1st 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Nozza" wrote in message
I am thinking of using homeplug to extend an existing netwrok.
everything on the network is working fine, there's simply a room where
I can't get access to the wired and wireless network.

If I were to buy two homeplug adapters, one for the currently
inaccessible room, and one to attach to the existing router, would the
homeplugged computer be able to access all the other network devices
and would the other devices be able to access the homeplugged
computer?

I have looked around and all the homepluggy examples show a
homeplugged network where all devices use vast arrays of homeplugs

Am thinking of getting "Twin Pack 85Mb Homeplug Ethernet Adapter" -
the 85MB fine for what I want at the mo.

Does homeplug "mix and match" okay?

Yes. Homeplug acts as if it was a piece of Ethernet cable, so anything you
can do over Ethernet you can do over Homeplug. This assumes that the two
Homeplug devices can communicate - ie that they one the same mains phase
(almost certainly because houses normally have just one phase supplied) and
that they are connected to the same fuse box / circuit breaker box. The
signal will not go through an electricity meter, but then a domestic supply
almost certainly has only one meter!

I think Homeplug is a standard that spans different manufacturers, but if
you are buying two, you may as well buy the same make and model to play it
safe.

Old August 1st 09, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nozza

In article ,
Mortimer said...

Yes. Homeplug acts as if it was a piece of Ethernet cable, so anything you
can do over Ethernet you can do over Homeplug. This assumes that the two
Homeplug devices can communicate - ie that they one the same mains phase
(almost certainly because houses normally have just one phase supplied) and
that they are connected to the same fuse box / circuit breaker box. The
signal will not go through an electricity meter, but then a domestic supply
almost certainly has only one meter!

I think Homeplug is a standard that spans different manufacturers, but if
you are buying two, you may as well buy the same make and model to play it
safe.

Brill

That's what I assumed - but I wanted clarification

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Noz
Old August 1st 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Nozza says...

I am thinking of using homeplug to extend an existing netwrok.
everything on the network is working fine, there's simply a room where
I can't get access to the wired and wireless network.

Don't.

They are the spawn of Satan and wipe out everything from 1Mhz to 50Mhz
within a 200 yard radius of your house - basically all HF radio.

If you're close to someone like me who uses amateur radio and you cause
them interference, expect a knock on the door from Ofcom for committing
the offence of "Radio Spectrum Abuse".

The first 20 seconds of this video show the absolute ****ing racket
these things make all over HF radio.

Googe BPL PLT interference.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old August 1st 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Mortimer says...

Yes. Homeplug acts as if it was a piece of Ethernet cable, so anything you
can do over Ethernet you can do over Homeplug.

Wrong. Ethernet doesn't wipe out HF radio within a 200 yard radius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XT99...eature=related

Old August 1st 09, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Nozza says...

In article ,
Mortimer said...

Oh ****ing great. Another person using these illegal contraptions.

Old August 2nd 09, 08:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nozza

In article ,
Conor said...

Oh ****ing great. Another person using these illegal contraptions.

How to make friends and *influence* people

Noz
Old August 2nd 09, 08:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 23:15:57 +0100, Conor wrote:

[...]

Oh ****ing great. Another person using these illegal contraptions.

Conor, I'm interested in what way these devices are illegal. Can you
point me to a source of information in this respect please?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old August 2nd 09, 09:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 23:15:57 +0100, Conor wrote:

[...]

Oh ****ing great. Another person using these illegal contraptions.

Conor, I'm interested in what way these devices are illegal. Can you
point me to a source of information in this respect please?

As a matter of interest, do they interfere with broadcast radio (eg LW/MW
reception) or is it mainly radio hams and HF reception? What about their
affect on other mains communication devices like baby intercoms? And do
those intercoms interfere with HF radio?

Old August 2nd 09, 10:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Chris Whelan says...

Conor, I'm interested in what way these devices are illegal. Can you
point me to a source of information in this respect please?

Yes.

For subsection (5) of section 19 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949

(5A)

b) it degrades, obstructs or repeatedly interrupts anything which is
being broadcast or otherwise transmitted?

(i) by means of wireless telegraphy; and

(ii) in accordance with a licence under this Act, regulations under the
proviso to section 1(1) of this Act or a grant of recognised spectrum
access under Chapter 2 of Part 2 of the Communications Act 2003 or
otherwise lawfully.?

It does part (ii) by causing massive interference on parts of the
spectrum used by Amateur Radio and governmental departments for HF
broadcast. If the BBC World Service was still broadcast within the UK,
it'd obliterate that too.

The Ofcom engineer that visited me to investigate a complaint I made
against someone living two streets away said that they were causing
interference and were committing the offence of "Radio Spectrum Abuse".

Also Ofcom have a page dedicated to it which states that it has to
comply with EMC regulations which they clearly are not doing.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/plt/