Equivalent to Wireshark for wireless adapters?

Old August 4th 09, 10:21 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Equivalent to Wireshark for wireless adapters?

As per the title really.

Peter Crosland

Old August 4th 09, 10:58 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
As per the title really.

Correction. Should read will work with Gigabyte WI06N

Peter Crosland

Old August 5th 09, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:34:04 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

As per the title really.

Won't wireshark listen to wifi ?

Yes - it will listen to any interface it does not care. Caveat - the
interface supports;
WIRED: promiscuous
WIRELESS: monitor

However, that may not be what he wants to do and Airsnort / aircrack may
be the tools he needs for the job. Of course, he won't see this reply as
he killfiled me (with outlook express ? really ?) ages ago. Still, there
you go - he may see a 'follow up'.

Old August 5th 09, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 17:53:22 -0700, bod43 wrote:

Well, maybe the OP is using Windows. In this case you need to buy the
wireless PCAP shim since the free one will not work with wireless cards.

I overlooked 'Windows' - you tend to forget the people who live in the
slums of the operating system world ;-) - the Outlook Express was really
the cue there - I posted it myself, I joked about the killfile and then
directed the OP to O/S Linux Software. I must pay more attention.

Old August 5th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Devnull

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:05:57 +0100, Peter Crosland waxed with flowery
words of wisdom:

"Dave Devnull" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:19:06 +0100, Peter Crosland waxed with flowery
words of wisdom:

"Dave Devnull" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:51:32 +0100, Peter Crosland waxed with flowery
words of wisdom:

"bod43" wrote in message

On 5 Aug, 00:16, R Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 23:34:04 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:
As per the title really.

Won't wireshark listen to wifi ?

Yes - it will listen to any interface it does not care. Caveat -
the interface supports;
WIRED: promiscuous
WIRELESS: monitor

However, that may not be what he wants to do and Airsnort /
aircrack may be the tools he needs for the job. Of course, he won't
see this reply as he killfiled me (with outlook express ? really ?)
ages ago. Still, there you go - he may see a 'follow up'.

Well, maybe the OP is using Windows. In this case you need to buy
the wireless PCAP shim since the free one will not work with
wireless cards.

An alternative for troubleshooting is to use the Microsoft Network
Moinitor
which does work on Wireless interfaces. Of course some
adaptors/drivers won't work in promiscuous mode. It's a free
download.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en

If possible you should probably go the linux route since that will
be more flexible in the long run. Or buy the PCAP shim. [Warning - I
have no experience of this]

http://www.cacetech.com/products/

Obviously you need to check for compatibility with your wireless
interface - in all cases.

Thanks for all that. Quite a lot of the software I use daily has no
LINUX alternative whatsoever so using it is not a viable option for
me.

But a bootable linux cd or usb key may just hold the answer. Cost,
under 10p ;-)

Good idea but sadly this will not work as the problem is with some
non-LINUX software for which there is no LINUX equivalent.

Peter Crosland

There will be a tool in Linux to do what you want to do - but it may
not do it the way you want it to :-)

What is it you are trying to do, if I may be as bold as to ask?

I am trying to establish why a proprietary piece of Windows software,
that will not run under LINUX, is not communicating correctly.

Peter Crosland

Now you see, if it were open source, you'd probably be able to find out
why without jumping through all those hoops :-)
Old August 5th 09, 03:26 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
As per the title really.

Correction. Should read will work with Gigabyte WI06N

Have you got all the info you need from u.t.broadband Peter? Are you
able to elaborate on what you're wanting to do?

Old August 5th 09, 06:37 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
news

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
As per the title really.

Correction. Should read will work with Gigabyte WI06N

Have you got all the info you need from u.t.broadband Peter? Are you able
to elaborate on what you're wanting to do?

Thanks for your interest Bob. It is not crucial at this stage and I can work
around it using a wired connection. I just have to run a 25M patch lead.
Whilst I have your attention please could you tell me if you have made any
progress with ticket 29023830. There are now two other people on this NG
with the same problem. TIA.

Peter Crosland

Old August 5th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

--
Peter Crosland
"Stephen" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:05:57 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

.. .

On 5 Aug, 00:16, R Johnson wrote:
[...]

Unless something wierd is happening down in the depths of the 802.11
stuff, any application should be just using normal ethernet frames
across the wireless.

Get a wireless access point (or set up a router to pretend to be one).

monitor the ethernet out of the back of the router (an old 100 Mbps
hub helps here).

It does seem that there is something weird is happening in the 802.11n but I
shall work around it for the time being with a 25m patch lead.

Peter Crosland

Old August 6th 09, 06:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
As per the title really.

Correction. Should read will work with Gigabyte WI06N

Have you got all the info you need from u.t.broadband Peter? Are you able
to elaborate on what you're wanting to do?

Thanks for your interest Bob. It is not crucial at this stage and I can work
around it using a wired connection. I just have to run a 25M patch lead.
Whilst I have your attention please could you tell me if you have made any
progress with ticket 29023830. There are now two other people on this NG
with the same problem. TIA.

I'll try and provide a ticket update later on today. Also didn't realise
I'd cross-posted my reply to u.t.broadband, I'll continue the discussion
over in the Plusnet group.

Old August 23rd 09, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Peter Crosland wrote:

I am trying to establish why a proprietary piece of Windows software, that
will not run under LINUX, is not communicating correctly.

Tried it under Wine?

--
Adrian C