Broadband possible on daxed and auxilary line?

Old August 5th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
jasee

Default Broadband possible on daxed and auxilary line?

Is broadband possible on a line which has been daxed. Definitely not.
However the line has another line which is 'auxilary working' to it. I.e. if
someone calls the original number 0123456789 and the line is engaged, it
will automtically ring the auxilary line.
Bt tell me that even if the dax were removed, I couldn't get broadband on
the original line number, is the really right, or just what they've been
trained to say. There are two physical lines so why can't one have the
broadband signal on it and the other not?

--
Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system ©JC 2009
All men are islands

Old August 5th 09, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

jasee wrote:
Is broadband possible on a line which has been daxed. Definitely not.
However the line has another line which is 'auxilary working' to it. I.e. if
someone calls the original number 0123456789 and the line is engaged, it
will automtically ring the auxilary line.
Bt tell me that even if the dax were removed, I couldn't get broadband on
the original line number, is the really right, or just what they've been
trained to say. There are two physical lines so why can't one have the
broadband signal on it and the other not?

A neighbour here simply ordered broadband on a DAXed line. BT upgraded
it to a proper line.

I am not clear whether the DAXing is at your behest, or simply something
'BT did' for their own reasons.

If you are paying full whack, and the exchange is DSL enabled, its BT's
responsibility to make broadband available, howsoever they choose to do it.

Of course, they would rather not, as laying in extra cables costs them
money. A LOT of money.

Old August 5th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"jasee" wrote in message
Is broadband possible on a line which has been daxed. Definitely not.
However the line has another line which is 'auxilary working' to it. I.e.
if someone calls the original number 0123456789 and the line is engaged,
it will automtically ring the auxilary line.
Bt tell me that even if the dax were removed, I couldn't get broadband on
the original line number, is the really right, or just what they've been
trained to say. There are two physical lines so why can't one have the
broadband signal on it and the other not?

--
Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system ©JC 2009
All men are islands

Do you have two physical lines to your premises or is the DACS used to
provide two number on one pair of wires?

Peter Crosland

Old August 5th 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
"jasee" wrote in message
Is broadband possible on a line which has been daxed. Definitely not.
However the line has another line which is 'auxilary working' to it. I.e.
if someone calls the original number 0123456789 and the line is engaged,
it will automtically ring the auxilary line.
Bt tell me that even if the dax were removed, I couldn't get broadband on
the original line number, is the really right, or just what they've been
trained to say. There are two physical lines so why can't one have the
broadband signal on it and the other not?

--
Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system ©JC 2009
All men are islands

Do you have two physical lines to your premises or is the DACS used to
provide two number on one pair of wires?

This link suggests you were given the correct answer

http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/applicat...ype=capability

Peter Crosland

Old August 5th 09, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
jasee

Peter Crosland wrote:
"jasee" wrote in message
Is broadband possible on a line which has been daxed. Definitely not.
However the line has another line which is 'auxilary working' to it.
I.e. if someone calls the original number 0123456789 and the line is
engaged, it will automtically ring the auxilary line.
Bt tell me that even if the dax were removed, I couldn't get
broadband on the original line number, is the really right, or just
what they've been trained to say. There are two physical lines so
why can't one have the broadband signal on it and the other not?

--
Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system ©JC
2009 All men are islands

Do you have two physical lines to your premises or is the DACS used to
provide two number on one pair of wires?

The latter, I hadn't realised until recently that they now do it at the
poles, not at the house. IF undaxed, I will have to lines to the exchange
(even though one is auxilary) so why can't one have adsl?

Old August 5th 09, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
jasee

"jasee" wrote in message
[...]

So it says in the last lines, however is it really true?

At one time I was told that caller display wasn't 'possible' with an
auxilary working line however I know that it _is_ possible as IIRC some
people here have it, thanks to friendly/knowlegeable engineers.

Old August 5th 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

o.uk...
"jasee" wrote in message
[...]

There is a solution to this:

1) Cancel the Auxiliary working facility. This will leave you with just one
incoming line.

2) Order a second incoming line.

3) Pay for the first line to be configured with "divert on busy" to the
first line. This will achieve the incoming call handling you require.

4) Order broadband on one (or indeed both) of the lines. If the lines have
been implemented using a DACS then BT will remove the DACS and iinstall a
second line. The only exception to this will be if they claim "insufficient
line plant". They will then claim that all they are required to supply you
with is one voice service - tough! So you have to sub-let your premises to
another business, who then applies for a phone service - which BT then have
to provide.

--
Graham J

Old August 5th 09, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Spamtastic Spastic

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:35:09 +0100, jasee ate alphabet spaghetti and shat
out:

Peter Crosland wrote:
"jasee" wrote in message
[...]

Technically there is no reason at all. They will be physically separate.
Politically, on the other hand, the BT 'system' is incapable of dealing
with such logic being that it is mostly powered by mule driven wheels and
vacuum tubes.

On top of that, it is a **GREAT** way to sell you another line - like a
ten year contract to a feature line compact :-)

Easy way. Cease the Aux line. When your broadband arrives set up a free
Sipgate VoIP number (get a PAP2 or similar to deal with it) and have your
number divert on busy to the VoIP number. Solved and saved you £50+ per
quarter + deals with the DACS so it can be easily removed too boot.

Really, no need to thank me.

--
political correctness: The safety net protecting deaf blind disabled
ethnic minority gays & lesbians with odd religious beliefs from reality
Old August 5th 09, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

jasee wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
"jasee" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's me being thick (I often am) but if I'm right, I don't think
you've quite understood the DACS. Digital Access Carrier System (DACS) is
there to provide two "lines" over one physical copper pair and is the modern
equivalent of the old "party line", and it is used when there aren't enough
copper pairs to provide service any other way. So, if your main line is
DACS'd to provide your auxilliary line, then you only have one physical pair
of wires back to the exchange.

Pete

Old August 5th 09, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Piers

On Aug 5, 9:46*am, "Graham J" wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

o.uk...

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
.. .

http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/applicat...detail.jsp&eve....

[...]

Unless BT have changed their approach, this is what I had until moving
house two years ago:

Line 1 on 01234567890, with a second line on "Auxiliary working".

I *had* ADSL service on Line 1.

I also had a bypass number allowing direct access to the fax on line 2
on 01234321234. Bypass number avoids the auxiliary working feature,
and is free with aux working.
It all worked just fine, but you need to be very persistent with the
BT sales people, because they don't know what you are talking about,
and try to sell you divert on busy, which is not the same at all,
because the call (notionally) is not free, as it would be with aux.
working.

In other words, what you (OP) are looking for is precisely what I had,
and it worked as intended, with broadband signal on one line, but not
on the other.