Netstumbler-like software for displaying wireless channel

Old August 6th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Netstumbler-like software for displaying wireless channel

Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

Old August 6th 09, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

"Mortimer" wrote in message
Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

Some access points will do this , though they tend to be "enterprise class"
devices like Cisco.
We use a Wi-Spy usb device as well which picks up interference as well as
other access points.

http://www.metageek.net/products

Both may be more than you want to spend though.

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Old August 6th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JohnW

In article ,
"Mortimer" wrote:

Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

Running Vista? Try inSSIDe:
http://www.wi-spy.co.uk/products/inssider.html (You don't need the WiFi
dongle)

--
John W
If you really want to email me replace the obvious with co.uk in both

Old August 6th 09, 09:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"JohnW" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mortimer" wrote:

Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

Running Vista? Try inSSIDe:
http://www.wi-spy.co.uk/products/inssider.html (You don't need the WiFi
dongle)

That's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. And the spectrum graph even
serves as a reminder of which channels overlap with each other. Better than
NetStumbler!

Old August 6th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Mortimer says...

Is there any other software similar to Netstumbler which can display the
channel and signal strength of wireless networks that a PC can "see".

Unfortunately Netstumbler doesn't support the wireless adaptor (Broadcom
4322AG a/g/n) in my laptop, whereas it did in my old (dead) laptop.

When I'm setting up wireless networks it's useful to be able to scan the
networks in range to make sure I set the router to a channel which is a
reasonable distance away from any that are already being used.

If you're running Vista or Win7, there's a few Sidebar gadgets that do
this and if you can find it, Wifi-Radar gadget displayed the strength
in dB.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk