I need a new modem/router

Old August 11th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Default I need a new modem/router

I have just been upgraded to 21CN and ADSL2+. My Zyxel P660R-61C does
not like to play ball and gives dreadful sync rates. I have dropped
from 8m to 3.5 :-(

So I need a new one. Googling around there do seem to be problems with
Zyxels in general (and almost anything really). I was steered towards
Billion, but they can't handle multiple WAN addresses (I have 8).

I don't need a bult in switch and wireless would be a plus but not
essential.

TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old August 11th 09, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have just been upgraded to 21CN and ADSL2+. My Zyxel P660R-61C does
not like to play ball and gives dreadful sync rates. I have dropped
from 8m to 3.5 :-(

So I need a new one. Googling around there do seem to be problems with
Zyxels in general (and almost anything really). I was steered towards
Billion, but they can't handle multiple WAN addresses (I have 8).

I don't need a bult in switch and wireless would be a plus but not
essential.

Had a look at D-Link?

George

Old August 11th 09, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article [email protected], "Dave Saville"
wrote:
I have just been upgraded to 21CN and ADSL2+. My Zyxel P660R-61C does
not like to play ball and gives dreadful sync rates. I have dropped
from 8m to 3.5 :-(

So I need a new one. Googling around there do seem to be problems with
Zyxels in general (and almost anything really). I was steered towards
Billion, but they can't handle multiple WAN addresses (I have 8).

I don't need a bult in switch and wireless would be a plus but not
essential.

TIA

AAISP did some investigation into this, since they were providing the
61C as part of their pre-configured router package. I understand they
have changed to the D1 version for ADSL2+ and it's fine, I assume, since
they're switching everyone who will get a better speed over to 2+. At
least, you'll be familiar with the settings - at least those ZyXEL
haven't changed.

Earlier this year I changed from the 61C to a Billion (R2) and there's a
firewall feature I need that I can't implement as well on the Billion.
--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old August 11th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

wrote:
[...]

But no firewall. :-(

Earlier this year I changed from the 61C to a Billion (R2) and there's a
firewall feature I need that I can't implement as well on the Billion.

But it can't do all the versions of NAT that the Zyxels can. At least
the manual I read could not.
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old August 14th 09, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Dave Saville wrote:

But no firewall. :-(

It has ACLs if that's what you mean by 'firewall'.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:22:02 up 100 days, 12:51, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.14, 0.16

Old August 16th 09, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 14 Aug, 21:22, alexd wrote:
Dave Saville wrote:
But no firewall. :-(

It has ACLs if that's what you mean by 'firewall'.

Have you checked whether there is a firmware update available
that might fix the problem?
Old August 16th 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:58:19 UTC, bod43 wrote:

On 14 Aug, 21:22, alexd wrote:
Dave Saville wrote:
But no firewall. :-(

It has ACLs if that's what you mean by 'firewall'.

Have you checked whether there is a firmware update available
that might fix the problem?

I am on the latest firmware and Zyxel can't be a***d to update it -
too old. Told me to buy a new one.
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old August 24th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 14 Aug, 21:22, alexd wrote:
Dave Saville wrote:
But no firewall. :-(

It has ACLs if that's what you mean by 'firewall'.

Have you checked whether there is a firmware update available
that might fix the problem?

I am on the latest firmware and Zyxel can't be a***d to update it -
too old. Told me to buy a new one.

Me too. It's annoying since my Zyxel router has a serious limitation
in the number of "services" you can add. It's only 10. I can't
believe it would be difficult to expand this.

Otherwise the Zyxel is great.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]