What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband dongle

Old August 12th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sanj

Default What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband dongle

All

What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband in the UK
currently?

TIA
Old August 12th 09, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

"sanj" wrote in message
All

What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband in the UK
currently?

Not necessarily the same network in my experience:

Fastest: Vodafone
Widest coverage: Three which falls back to Orange when out of Three coverage
if you have a phone sim rather that a mobile broadband one...

Coverage maps are at
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...erage_maps.pdf

Paul

Old August 12th 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Paulg0" wrote in message

"sanj" wrote in message
All

What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband in the UK
currently?

Not necessarily the same network in my experience:

Fastest: Vodafone
Widest coverage: Three which falls back to Orange when out of Three
coverage if you have a phone sim rather that a mobile broadband one...

Coverage maps are at
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...erage_maps.pdf

One of my suppliers gave me a Three broadband dongle so I've just been
trying it.

The GUI shows a wedge with bars (possibly 10) to indicate some sort of
signal strength. At home, with the dongle strung out of the window on a USB
extension I sometimes see a couple of bars, but generally nothing. The
words say "No Network". The dongle itself shows a red light.

So I put the laptop in the car. On the back roads between Thetford and Diss
the wedge shows varying numbers of bars - sometimes all of them, which I
take to mean a very good signal. However the words continue to say "No
Network".

In some areas - on high ground (being Norfolk this is a relative term!) the
wedge shows perhaps one or two bars, but the word say "network available"
and the "Connect" button turns green. The dongle iteslf shows a green
light. I click connect, and a connection is claimed, but so far all I've
achieved is to receive a couple of system text messages. I've not been able
to ping anything.

The manual says green on the dongle indicates 3G and blue indicates GPRS.
I've not seen blue.

So the question is, what does the signal strength indicate?

I don't think "wide coverage" would describe this! My description would be
"unusable".

--
Graham J

Old August 13th 09, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Paulg0" wrote in message
"sanj" wrote in message
All
What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband in the UK
currently?

Not necessarily the same network in my experience:
Fastest: Vodafone

Not tried Voda for a while, but last year T Mobile seemed faster

Widest coverage: Three which falls back to Orange when out of Three
coverage if you have a phone sim rather that a mobile broadband one...

Without question, and cheapest, using Three now.

Steve Terry

Old August 13th 09, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I am the one

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...s/broadband/ce...

[...]

Graham J- Hide quoted text -

Very clear this dongle is very poor. What's the chipset?
Old August 13th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip
--
Graham J- Hide quoted text -

Very clear this dongle is very poor. What's the chipset?

Don' know but the description on the thing says:

HSDPA USB Stick MF627
ZTE Corporation

Does this help?

--
Graham J

Old August 13th 09, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Steve Terry wrote:
"Paulg0" wrote in message
Not necessarily the same network in my experience:
Fastest: Vodafone

Not tried Voda for a while, but last year T Mobile seemed faster

Widest coverage: Three which falls back to Orange when out of Three
coverage if you have a phone sim rather that a mobile broadband one...

I think these are two sides of the same question:

1a. Can you get any reliable signal at all?
1b. Once you've got some signal, how fast do you get on average?

Both really, really, depend on where you are. So it's a bit pointless
network X claiming 'up to 14Mbps' (or whatever), when that can only be
achieved on the top floor of Canary Wharf or the First Class lounge at
Heathrow.

Unless you're in a fixed urban location, I'd pick a network for coverage
rather than speed. If you've got basic HSPA or even plain 3G that'll trump
sitting there with no signal at all, even if your network claims to be
quicker in Central London (and Central London is a very complex environment
so even then it might depend hugely on where you are).

Looking at the 3G coverage maps someone posted, Three wins by a mile.
Though if you know that you're only going to be in an urban area with good
coverage (it's a landline replacement, say) then it's worth finding out what
kind of signal the other networks have in your building.

Theo
Old August 14th 09, 03:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"I am the one" wrote in message
On Aug 13, 2:29 am, "Graham J" wrote:
"Paulg0" wrote in message

"sanj" wrote in message

snip
In some areas - on high ground (being Norfolk this is a relative term!)
the
wedge shows perhaps one or two bars, but the word say "network available"
and the "Connect" button turns green. The dongle iteslf shows a green
light. I click connect, and a connection is claimed, but so far all I've
achieved is to receive a couple of system text messages. I've not been
able
to ping anything.

The manual says green on the dongle indicates 3G and blue indicates GPRS.
I've not seen blue.
So the question is, what does the signal strength indicate?
I don't think "wide coverage" would describe this! My description would be
"unusable".
Graham J- Hide quoted text -

The problem most dongles have is not enough size to mount an effective
aerial

That's the best reason to use a HSDPA phone as a modem instead

Steve Terry

Old August 14th 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

On 13/8/09 01:30, in article , "Steve Terry"
wrote:

"Paulg0" wrote in message
"sanj" wrote in message
All
What is the fastest and widly covered mobile broadband in the UK
currently?

Not necessarily the same network in my experience:
Fastest: Vodafone

Not tried Voda for a while, but last year T Mobile seemed faster

Widest coverage: Three which falls back to Orange when out of Three
coverage if you have a phone sim rather that a mobile broadband one...

Without question, and cheapest, using Three now.

Steve Terry

I use 3 at the caravan in Scotland, generally been happy with it BUT was off
the air for 10 days last week which I feel is totally unacceptable as I am
on PAYNGO 10 for 30! The speed is much better than the Vodafone dongle was
here but not sure about reliability as the Voda dongle never failed. This
is my 2nd outage since having the dongle in May.
Lynn

Old August 14th 09, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

news:C6AACDF9.18055%[email protected] ternet.com...
wrote:

"Paulg0" wrote in message
"sanj" wrote in message
[...]

Then why don't you pay 50p daily or 2.50 for internet weekly?

Steve Terry