Sky Broadband Any Good?

Old August 13th 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newbie

Default Sky Broadband Any Good?

I'm another victim of the credit crunch and need to cut costs if possible.
I use ADSL24 as my net provider at £19 per month.
I want sky sports again but am thinking that if I also took Sky's broadband
service I could bin the ADSL24 and use that £19 to pay for sky sports and
sky broadband.
Question is how good/bad is Sky Broadband and will I get a decent connection
speed, I get 5mb speed at present with a bit of DMT Tool SNR tweaking

Old August 13th 09, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo

Newbie wrote:
I'm another victim of the credit crunch and need to cut costs if possible.
I use ADSL24 as my net provider at £19 per month.
I want sky sports again but am thinking that if I also took Sky's broadband
service I could bin the ADSL24 and use that £19 to pay for sky sports and
sky broadband.
Question is how good/bad is Sky Broadband and will I get a decent connection
speed, I get 5mb speed at present with a bit of DMT Tool SNR tweaking

Is it LLU? The LLU service here has been virtually trouble-free. I went
for a couple of days where the service was dropping three or four times
a day but they were fannying about at the exchange and it has been fine
since, so I've let them off I get about 12mb from their 16mb service
which is fast enough for me.

The Netgear router they gave me had to be changed a few months back as
it was refusing to allow wireless connections. The replacement itself
arrived the next day so I can't fault that aspect of the service either.

The downside has been the ****about I had when I wanted the router
swapping. The Indian lady I spoke to didn't seem to grasp the fact that
every single wifi device I had refused to work with the router: laptops
(4), Desktop PC, Wii, Windows Mobile device. She had decided that I
needed to check with every single device vendor as they were faulty.
FFS... I had to kick off with a 'manager' to get the router replaced and
even they they only did it as a 'goodwill' gesture. Well **** me, the
replacement router fixed the problem! Ok, I'm an IT professional but I
think even my five year old son could have diagnosed the router was faulty.
Old August 13th 09, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newbie

"Abo" wrote in message
Newbie wrote:
[...]

Cheers Abo, I can't be arsed with indian call centre sh1te so will stick
with ADSL24 for my internet service.

Old August 13th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Question is how good/bad is Sky Broadband and will I get a decent connection
speed, I get 5mb speed at present with a bit of DMT Tool SNR tweaking

I was _very_ happy with their service (best ISP i'd been with in terms
of reliability, having been with several since about 1995) - and the
speed was considerably faster on LLU than it was with my previous
provider.

I've moved now, and don't have a phone line as yet, so net access is
trickier :-(

The only gripe I had was short-lived - the initial change from using
their own email platform to google.
Old August 13th 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:18:45 +0100, Abo wrote:
Newbie wrote:
[...]

Yes, their call centre is desperately bad. On the few times I've needed
to call, to report a fault or somesuch it's been a trial of dropped connections,
endlessly repeating the exact same information, being put on hold and
talking to clueless idiots who insist their name is "steven".
However, occasionally, just very occasionally you get routed through to
someone in britian. When that happens all the other wasted times are
forgotten. For some reason, these guys are helpful, knowledgable and
do actually ring you back.
Generally the service is good: speeds to the exchange are with 75% of what
they sold me (so only slightly deceitful - better than others). However, the
internal network goes from good to awful - with dropped DNS, bottlenecks
and some weekends when my router decides to reboot itself many, many times
an hour - cycling through a selection of speeds, until it settles on around
3MBit/sec (c.f. 14.4Mbit/sec normally) and can't be shifted - not sure if
this is DLM licking in, maintenance at the works or just general crap service.

While not 100% brilliant, certainly better than the others I've used.
Old August 14th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Greenwood

I'm on the free Base service - 2 mb download max - and it's been
absolutely solid. With approx 3 years totally reliable service, I'm
happy. Can't speak for the chargeable faster speed connection, though.

Please do NOT use the email address in the headers - it
is a spam-trap. Please respond to the newsgroup only.
Old August 14th 09, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Cunningham

On Aug 13, 9:35*am, "Newbie"
wrote:
I'm another victim of the credit crunch and need to cut costs if possible..
I use ADSL24 as my net provider at £19 per month.
I want sky sports again but am thinking that if I also took Sky's broadband
service I could bin the ADSL24 and use that £19 to pay for sky sports and
sky broadband.
Question is how good/bad is Sky Broadband

I don't know about the broadband but I can tell you that the customer
service is sh1t.

The router they sent my parents was DOA. It took me forty minutes
waiting on the phone to get through to customer services and then
another fifteen minutes cocking about with some knobhead who I doubt
knew one end of a router from another before they would send a
replacement.

Avoid at all cost.
Old August 15th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Abo" wrote in message
Newbie wrote:
[...]

So they haven't got any better over the last year or so, since they
told me to break into their suite & fix their cabling problem for them
, the plugs on the backplane were about 20 pairs out.

Old August 16th 09, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher

"Newbie" wrote in message
I'm another victim of the credit crunch and need to cut costs if possible.
I use ADSL24 as my net provider at £19 per month.
I want sky sports again but am thinking that if I also took Sky's
broadband service I could bin the ADSL24 and use that £19 to pay for sky
sports and sky broadband.
Question is how good/bad is Sky Broadband and will I get a decent
connection speed, I get 5mb speed at present with a bit of DMT Tool SNR
tweaking

been with them for a few years now and I find their service very good.
Rock solid and very reliable, can't comment on their broadband customer
service, never had to use them.