Possible to find VoIP provider from number?

Old August 13th 09, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

Default Possible to find VoIP provider from number?

Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
archives.

It's two questions really.
Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?

In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and narrow
it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?
Old August 13th 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

On 13 Aug, 08:31, R Johnson wrote:
Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
archives.

It's two questions really.
Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?

In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and narrow
it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

Old August 13th 09, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 13/08/09 09:52, andy wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:31, R wrote:
Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
archives.

It's two questions really.
Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?

In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and narrow
it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

If you're using Sipgate the call list on the website will tell you if a
call is on their system or not.

Ivor

Old August 13th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:38:35 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

On 13/08/09 09:52, andy wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:31, R wrote:
Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
archives.

It's two questions really.
Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?

In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and
narrow it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that
OLO's on my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but
so are BT. Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

Thanks Andy, details noted and appreciated.

If you're using Sipgate the call list on the website will tell you if a
call is on their system or not.

Nope, it's to look at spammer phone numbers in emails and to pin down the
provider. Nothing more interesting than that :-(

Ivor

Old August 13th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

andy wrote:

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives the
operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 14th 09, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives
the operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!

I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 14th 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Graham. wrote:

This website can tell you who the number provider is

http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
Voxalot in my case

Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives
the operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!

I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out the
numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives in the
same geographic area as the area code for the number, then it's still
a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.

Sure you can make/take calls from anywhere with it, but I'd hope that
for the most part you're physically in the area it describes.

The 03 range complicates it as it's charged as the same rate as
geographics are but non-geographic!

Gordon
Old August 14th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:

I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out
the numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives
in the same geographic area as the area code for the number, then
it's still a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.

Except that they don't! My VoIP supplier allows you to select *any*
available 'geographic' number - not just one which is relevant to where you
live. For example, I live in Warwick but one of my 'geographic' numbers is a
Cambridge number. [You can probably have one that isn't even in the UK].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 14th 09, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't be very happy with people like me then. I have an 01372
(Esher) area code number on Sipgate, but I actually live over 6,000
miles away in Asia.

The purpose of this is to allow family members who live in that area
of the UK to call me for the price of a local phone call.

Chris
Old August 14th 09, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:14:34 +0100, Chris Blunt wrote:

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article , Graham.
wrote:

[...]

Which is a tad bizarre because they could call you for free if they had
Sipgate too, removing the need the obfuscation :-)