Laptop not connecting by Wifi at some places???

Old August 17th 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Parry

Default Laptop not connecting by Wifi at some places???

Just a quick query in case someone has any ideas...

I have my sisters laptop with me at the moment because she cannot connect to
her own network at home, despite both her sons being able to connect to the
very same system from their laptops using wifi. To ease the situation of
connecting to my wifi (when she visits) I have set the same WEP key on both
herwireless router and on mine (both routers are Netgear DG834G) and so when
she comes here, her laptop instantly connects to my network without any
issues. Despite both setups being identical, she cannot connect to her own
router to access the internet (web pages http), but she can access her email
(pop3) using her own connection.

This morning she went to McDonalds (who aparently have free wifi access) but
again she could only receive email but couldn't get any web pages up with
internet explorer. Last night I went round to a friends place and took
her laptop with me. He again uses the same WEP key because I use his
network when I am working there, and the laptop connected fine and allowed
full access to http and pop/smtp, no issues.

Despite all this proof that the laptop appears to be working here, she still
connect access web pages either at home or and McDs, using their free wifi
(both locations say she is connected and have good signals, but she can only
access pop, but no http web pages.

Does anyone know of a reason why this is happening, and why some places are
giving limited access to just pop and no http access?

Could it be something sinister going on in the laptop?

Thanks for your advice....
John

Old August 17th 09, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"John Parry" wrote in message
Just a quick query in case someone has any ideas...

Despite all this proof that the laptop appears to be working here, she
still
connect access web pages either at home or and McDs, using their free wifi
(both locations say she is connected and have good signals, but she can
only
access pop, but no http web pages.

Does anyone know of a reason why this is happening, and why some places
are
giving limited access to just pop and no http access?

This doesn't sound as if it's a wireless problem, in that a wireless
connection is evidently being made because she can access POP.

Is it possible for her to temporarily turn off the wireless adaptor and
connect the laptop to her router (or yours) by Ethernet cable. If that
displays the same symptoms, we've eliminated wireless as a cause.

I'd check the proxy settings of the browser: for IE 7, Tools | Internet
Options Connections | LAN settings - there should normally be no ticks in
any box on that page.

You don't say whether there is any error message when she tries to access a
web page. If there is, that might give further clues.

Old August 17th 09, 02:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Mortimer wrote:
"John Parry" wrote in message
[...]

You could try a temporary disable of any firewall or anti-virus
software and see if that makes any difference.

A system restore back to a date before there were any problems would
also be a route to take.
Old August 17th 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:18:02 +0100, "John Parry" wrote:

Despite all this proof that the laptop appears to be working here, she still
connect access web pages either at home or and McDs, using their free wifi
(both locations say she is connected and have good signals, but she can only
access pop, but no http web pages.

Does anyone know of a reason why this is happening, and why some places are
giving limited access to just pop and no http access?

Maybe that browser changed to Offline after some difficulty to connect.

Tony
Old August 18th 09, 12:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Parry

"John Parry" wrote in message ...
[...]

Further to my first post, I have been doing some tests. It seems that my
sisters laptop always ends up with 192.168.1.2 as the IP address, even when
the router is set up to start its DHCP assignment at 192.168.1.3

Further checking, it says in the connection properties that 192.168.1.2 has
been assigned by DHCP. How can the laptop end up with 192.168.1.2, when the
range starts at 192.168.1.3 ???

Another test was to assign the MAC address of the laptop an IP address of
192.168.1.9, but the laptop still ended up with 192.168.1.2

Does this help with what is causing the problems?

Thanks again
John

Old August 18th 09, 05:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"John Parry" wrote in message

"John Parry" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hmm. Sounds very bizarre. How sure are you that the IP address is being
allocated by DHCP? Could it be that the IP address and/or DNS servers are
being set statically rather than by DHCP? Does the same thing happen if you
connect the laptop by Ethernet rather than using wireless? What's the error
message when the laptop fails to access web pages? Open up a DOS prompt by
running the command "cmd" and within that DOS prompt run "ipconfig /all" -
compare that output with the same command run on another laptop (one which
works OK) on the same network. The DNS servers and gateway address should be
those of the router (probably 192.168.1.1) in both cases.

Old August 18th 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

John Parry wrote:
"John Parry" wrote in message ...
[...]

Try: ipconfig /release
and then: ipconfig /renew

What IP address does the machine have now?

Phil, London
Old August 18th 09, 05:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geo

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:27:12 +0100, "John Parry" wrote:

Further to my first post, I have been doing some tests. It seems that my
sisters laptop always ends up with 192.168.1.2 as the IP address, even when
the router is set up to start its DHCP assignment at 192.168.1.3

Further checking, it says in the connection properties that 192.168.1.2 has
been assigned by DHCP. How can the laptop end up with 192.168.1.2, when the
range starts at 192.168.1.3 ???

Another test was to assign the MAC address of the laptop an IP address of
192.168.1.9, but the laptop still ended up with 192.168.1.2

Is she connecting to next-door's router then?
Switch off the router then start the laptop.

--
Geo
Old August 18th 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

Geo wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:27:12 +0100, "John Parry" wrote:

Further to my first post, I have been doing some tests. It seems that my
sisters laptop always ends up with 192.168.1.2 as the IP address, even when
the router is set up to start its DHCP assignment at 192.168.1.3

Further checking, it says in the connection properties that 192.168.1.2 has
been assigned by DHCP. How can the laptop end up with 192.168.1.2, when the
range starts at 192.168.1.3 ???

Another test was to assign the MAC address of the laptop an IP address of
192.168.1.9, but the laptop still ended up with 192.168.1.2

Is she connecting to next-door's router then?
Switch off the router then start the laptop.

Although the IP address and DHCP issues need investigating, are they
stopping access to webpages ?
The laptop is connecting to a network and POP is working, therefore
there must be a working network connection from laptop to email provider
which suggests that DNS is also working.
Or am I missing something ?
I like the "working offline" suggestion.
Old August 19th 09, 12:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Parry

"Geo" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:27:12 +0100, "John Parry" wrote:

Further to my first post, I have been doing some tests. It seems that my
sisters laptop always ends up with 192.168.1.2 as the IP address, even

when
the router is set up to start its DHCP assignment at 192.168.1.3

Further checking, it says in the connection properties that 192.168.1.2

has
been assigned by DHCP. How can the laptop end up with 192.168.1.2, when

the
range starts at 192.168.1.3 ???

Another test was to assign the MAC address of the laptop an IP address of
192.168.1.9, but the laptop still ended up with 192.168.1.2

Is she connecting to next-door's router then?
Switch off the router then start the laptop.

--
Geo

Thanks Geo,

No shes not connecting to next doors router, because I have connected
remotely to her router and it actually lists her laptop MAC as being online
as an 'Attached Device'
If she switches the laptop off, she disappears out of the Attached Devices
list.

A quick check with Netstumbler, shows no other Wifi in range. Her nearest
neighbour is about half a mile away.