extending wireless network with satellite dish

Old August 17th 09, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Neil Morris

Default extending wireless network with satellite dish

Dear all
Say for example I live in the countryside and my neighbour(aprox 1 mile
away) has internet connection. If I use a satellite dish with a extended
antenna connected to my wireless router, could I make an internet
connection without problems?
Old August 18th 09, 12:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:52:58 +0100, Neil Morris
wrote:

Dear all
Say for example I live in the countryside and my neighbour(aprox 1 mile
away) has internet connection. If I use a satellite dish with a extended
antenna connected to my wireless router, could I make an internet
connection without problems?

Do you have a clear line of sight? If he flashes a light, can you see it?

If so then it may be possible, but certainly not without problems. Even
with a clear line of sight and dry weather, the correct accurate aiming of
the dish will be critical and also very difficult to achieve and maintain.

Here is a previous answer to a similar question:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1130927AAK2VQK

All this to save around 10-20 per month DSL subscription of your own?

Tony

Old August 18th 09, 06:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Neil Morris presented the following explanation :
Dear all
Say for example I live in the countryside and my neighbour(aprox 1 mile away)
has internet connection. If I use a satellite dish with a extended antenna
connected to my wireless router, could I make an internet connection without
problems?

Simple answer - Yes!

I have had an half mile link working solidly now for around 4 months.
It uses a wireless router at one end and a USB wireless dongle at the
other, each with a yagi type antenna (like a miniature TV aerial).
There is lots of wifi between the two, to disrupt the signal, but my
setup doesn't have any problems.

I would expect it to work over a much greater distance, but I have not
tested it. Dishes have even better gain than yagi antennas so ought to
work even better.

Be aware that it will only work point to point with clear line of site
between.

These are the yagi antennas I made to set up the link...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/wifi/Wifi7.JPG
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/wifi/Wifi8.JPG

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old August 18th 09, 07:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Say for example I live in the countryside and my neighbour(aprox 1 mile
away) has internet connection. If I use a satellite dish with a extended
antenna connected to my wireless router, could I make an internet
connection without problems?

All this to save around 10-20 per month DSL subscription of your own?

Often it is the fun of the challenge rather than saving the dosh.

Geoff Lane