How to offer broadband without phone call charges?

Old August 18th 09, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

Default How to offer broadband without phone call charges?

I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Tony
Old August 18th 09, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?
Tony

If you have good Three mobile phone coverage, why not go for a Three
payg dongle with a wifi router?
Avoid DSL and the responsibility of a copper wire altogether.

Steve Terry

Old August 18th 09, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 02:23:32 +0100, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?
Tony

If you have good Three mobile phone coverage, why not go for a Three
payg dongle with a wifi router?
Avoid DSL and the responsibility of a copper wire altogether.

Thanks but four college lads may consume more data than 3's top tier.

I am hoping to provide one of the "unlimited" offers such as O2 or Be etc
or maybe even Sky BB bundled with a Sky+ subscription, which happens to be
what we had provided to one of those four while he was at our home. So I
am hoping there is some way to get a copper pair with limited liability.

BTW how does one connect a USB dongle to the WAN port of a router anyway?

Tony
Old August 18th 09, 06:58 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

on 18/08/2009, Anthony R. Gold supposed :
wrote:

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?
Tony

If you have good Three mobile phone coverage, why not go for a Three
payg dongle with a wifi router?
Avoid DSL and the responsibility of a copper wire altogether.

Thanks but four college lads may consume more data than 3's top tier.

Quite.

I am hoping to provide one of the "unlimited" offers such as O2 or Be etc
or maybe even Sky BB bundled with a Sky+ subscription, which happens to be
what we had provided to one of those four while he was at our home. So I
am hoping there is some way to get a copper pair with limited liability.

Connect a BT line up with Incoming and Outgoing Calls Barred. (ICB &
OCB).

BTW how does one connect a USB dongle to the WAN port of a router anyway?

By purchasing a router with a USB socket designed for the purpose.
Draytek 2820 is one that springs to mind.

Old August 18th 09, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Andrews & Arnold will supply a phone line for "ADSL only" purposes. See:
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

To quote: "The line itself is installed by Openreach just like a BT line, on
our behalf. You cannot make any chargable calls, but can call emergency
services and freephone numbers from it as well as accepting calls. We supply
the line primarily for use with the broadband service and do not provide
lines without our broadband service associated with them."

--
Graham J

Old August 18th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:58:19 +0100, Jono
wrote:

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

Connect a BT line up with Incoming and Outgoing Calls Barred. (ICB &
OCB).

Excellent. Many thanks, I will ask BT about the availability of this.

BTW how does one connect a USB dongle to the WAN port of a router anyway?

By purchasing a router with a USB socket designed for the purpose.
Draytek 2820 is one that springs to mind.

Thank you.

Tony
Old August 18th 09, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:11:18 +0100, "Graham J"
wrote:

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Andrews & Arnold will supply a phone line for "ADSL only" purposes. See:
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

I've been an A&A subscriber since 1993 and they are not now competitive for
retail consumers needing significant daytime usage and who are happy with
NAT and a single IP address.

Tony
Old August 18th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Anthony R. Gold wrote:
I'd like to offer to some young college boys who are sharing their first
flat a DSL Internet connection but without exposing myself to vast phone
call charges. The boys all have their own mobile phones and they say they
don't need any wire line phone service.

Put the master socket inside a lockable metal box and run the ADSL cable
out of the box.

Wouldn't stop them splicing into the cable upstram of it though, but...

What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Outgoing call barring would seem to be the way to go, but it's costs
an extra 2.50 a month and doesn't block international calls made via
an operator!

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...R_call_barring

Gordon
Old August 18th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom Anthony R. Gold wrote:
What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Does it need to be DSL? Virgin cable will do 10Mbit broadband-only for 20
quid/month, or less if you take one of their persistent 'introductory'
offers. Or get free TV thrown in too (though I suppose they could rack up
charges on pay-per-view, probably you can disable that).

Theo
Old August 18th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On 18 Aug 2009 10:52:47 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

In uk.telecom Anthony R. Gold wrote:
What phone service or tariff is available that will provide the needed
copper circuit for DSL but without unlimited exposure to calling charges?

Does it need to be DSL? Virgin cable will do 10Mbit broadband-only for 20
quid/month, or less if you take one of their persistent 'introductory'
offers. Or get free TV thrown in too (though I suppose they could rack up
charges on pay-per-view, probably you can disable that).

Thanks for the suggestion.

So long as they don't demand Sky satellite TV, which has the requirement to
provide a working phone line - at least during installation - that may be
another excellent solution.

Tony