Skype

Old August 18th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jeff Layman

Default Skype

Friends in Egypt have a Skype number and want me to be able to contact them.

I have little knowledge of VOIP, but am I right in believing that only Skype
software can be used with Skype numbers? If so, it looks as though I should
be avoiding Skype 4.x, and using 3.8 instead from some critical comments in
Skype forum postings. If I'm wrong about either of these, could someone
please point out what software I should be considering.

TIA

--
Jeff

Old August 18th 09, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jeff Layman schreef:
Friends in Egypt have a Skype number and want me to be able to contact them.

I have little knowledge of VOIP, but am I right in believing that only Skype
software can be used with Skype numbers? If so, it looks as though I should
be avoiding Skype 4.x, and using 3.8 instead from some critical comments in
Skype forum postings. If I'm wrong about either of these, could someone
please point out what software I should be considering.

TIA

Can you pinpoint your problem to the new version ?
you can contact other skype users for free, or dial landline/mobile
numbers also, landline numbers for free if you choose a Skype
subscription of some sort.
Newest versions are most of the time the best, there are also hardware
Skype phones, which you can connnect to your network, you don't need a
pc for these, maybe only to make an account, or to transfer money.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.
Old August 18th 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Jeff Layman wrote:
Friends in Egypt have a Skype number and want me to be able to
contact them.

When you write about a "Skype number", do you mean a real telephone
number provided by Skype, or a Skype userid that may (or may not)
be numeric?

If it's a real telephone number, the whole point is that you can treat
it exactly as a telephone number. And call it from any phone at (probably)
usurious international dialing rates.

If more likely, you mean a Skype userid, then you install Skype locally
and "call" the OP's userid from your PC.

If it's neither of those then you'll need to clarify your request
somewhat better.

Puzzled,
Chris
Old August 19th 09, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jeff Layman

Chris Davies wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Friends in Egypt have a Skype number and want me to be able to
contact them.

When you write about a "Skype number", do you mean a real telephone
number provided by Skype, or a Skype userid that may (or may not)
be numeric?

If it's a real telephone number, the whole point is that you can treat
it exactly as a telephone number. And call it from any phone at (probably)
usurious international dialing rates.

If more likely, you mean a Skype userid, then you install Skype locally
and "call" the OP's userid from your PC.

If it's neither of those then you'll need to clarify your request
somewhat better.

Puzzled,
Chris

Sorry, I meant Skype userid. From your reply, it looks like I have to
install Skype.

Thanks for the clear reply.

--
Jeff

Old October 20th 09, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Salvador Freemanson

Jeff Layman a écrit :
lid wrote:
Jeff Layman schreef:
Friends in Egypt have a Skype number and want me to be able to contact
them. I have little knowledge of VOIP, but am I right in believing that
only
Skype software can be used with Skype numbers? If so, it looks as
though I should be avoiding Skype 4.x, and using 3.8 instead from some
critical comments in Skype forum postings. If I'm wrong about either of
these, could someone please point out what software I should be
considering. TIA

Can you pinpoint your problem to the new version ?

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?s=7...ic=280191&st=0

There seem to be quite a number of comments in this thread which suggest 4.x
isn't as well thought out as its predecessor.

The problem with any change of interface is that it puts users onto a
learning curve.
When you want to chat or videocall someone, you don't want to go through
all the process of learning a new piece of software. Not that there is
all that much to learn. But finding everything has changed is just a
nuisance. That is why, for example, I am still using Acrobat 5. The new
version has page buttons on the top, whereas the previous one had them
at the bottom (or is it the other way round?) and other such trivial
changes. There are no doubt some very profound changes, but I don't care
when I just want to read a file someone has sent me.

The same goes for Skype.
Since you are starting from zero, then you might as well run the latest
version.
Old October 23rd 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
iain

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:50:56 +0200, Salvador Freemanson
wrote:

But finding everything has changed is just a
nuisance. That is why, for example, I am still using Acrobat 5

I hope you aren't using it on a computer connected to the web.
Horrendous security issues in that.