You and Yours

Old August 19th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default You and Yours

2Bdecided wrote:

Anyway, horses for courses - use the terrestrial broadcasts for live
listening in the car - but enjoy the higher quality and increased
choice of internet radio around the house. and garden. and office. and
hotel room. and... anywhere else there's an internet connection!

Make sure you don't go over your download limit though, and most
'unlimited' ADSL internet packages are only available from LLU ISPs, and
they only exist at larger exchanges. There's only one unlimited non-LLU
ASDL service I'm aware of, and that's O2's 'Access' package:-

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/findmore.jsp

22 Quid/month or 17/m if you already have an O2 phone.

(uk.telecom.broadband added to cross post)
Old August 19th 09, 02:13 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
2Bdecided

On Aug 19, 12:02*pm, Mark Carver wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:
Anyway, horses for courses - use the terrestrial broadcasts for live
listening in the car - but enjoy the higher quality and increased
choice of internet radio around the house. and garden. and office. and
hotel room. and... anywhere else there's an internet connection!

Make sure you don't go over your download limit though, and most
'unlimited' ADSL internet packages are only available from LLU ISPs, and
they only exist at larger exchanges. There's only one unlimited non-LLU
ASDL service I'm aware of, and that's O2's 'Access' package:-

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/findmore.jsp

22 Quid/month or 17/m if you already have an O2 phone.

(uk.telecom.broadband added to cross post)

Plusnet is "giving" me 10GB / month for 5.99.

I'm not at home (awake) long enough to listen to that much radio, even
if I wanted to.

Cheers,
David.
Old August 19th 09, 02:23 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

2Bdecided wrote:

Plusnet is "giving" me 10GB / month for 5.99.

I'm not at home (awake) long enough to listen to that much radio, even
if I wanted to.

You perhaps not, but assume the entirely possible scenario of someone
listening to a 128 kb/s service every day, for 8 hours a day.

128 kb/s
= 16 kB/s
= 57 MB/hour
= 460.8 MB/day
= 13.8 GB/month

Old August 19th 09, 05:01 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Mark Carver" wrote in message

2Bdecided wrote:

Plusnet is "giving" me 10GB / month for 5.99.

I'm not at home (awake) long enough to listen to that much radio,
even
if I wanted to.

You perhaps not, but assume the entirely possible scenario of
someone
listening to a 128 kb/s service every day, for 8 hours a day.

128 kb/s
= 16 kB/s
= 57 MB/hour
= 460.8 MB/day
= 13.8 GB/month

The average time spent listening is 20 hours per week though, and 60%
of that on average is spent listening at home, so overall the average
time spent listening at home per week is 0.6 * 20 = 12 hours per week,
so someone who spends 8 hours per day listening * 7 days per week = 56
hours per week is almost 5 times the average, so you're probably
talking about the top 1 or 2% of heavy home listeners here.

I think a more reasonable figure for a heavy listener would be to take
into consideration the 60% average for time spent listening at home,
and to exclude the weekend, so that it's only 5 days of listening per
week, which would drop the 13.8 GB/month down to about 6 GB/month. And
that's still for a heavy listener, so I would have thought that the
vast majority should be able to listen to 128 kbps Internet radio
streams without having to worry about the amount of bandwidth
consumed.

--
Steve - www.savefm.org - stop the BBC bullies switching off FM

www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - digital radio news & info

"It is the sheer volume of online audio content available via
internet-connected devices which terrifies the UK radio industry. I
believe that broadband-delivered radio will explode in the years to
come, offering very local, unregulated content, as well as opening a
window to the radio stations of the world." - from the Myers Report

Old August 19th 09, 06:25 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:

Plusnet is "giving" me 10GB / month for 5.99.

I'm not at home (awake) long enough to listen to that much radio, even
if I wanted to.

You perhaps not, but assume the entirely possible scenario of someone
listening to a 128 kb/s service every day, for 8 hours a day.

128 kb/s
= 16 kB/s
= 57 MB/hour
= 460.8 MB/day
= 13.8 GB/month

Crikey. Not a good idea falling asleep to the World Service, then?

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old August 19th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

[...]

It's about 35-40 hours a week in my household, 8 until 6 to 8 weekends, an
hour weekday mornings, and two hours weekday evenings. Good job it's mostly R4
on FM, although if we go out it's mysteriously changed itself to R1 or Kiss FM
when we come back :-)

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old August 19th 09, 11:01 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Wright

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
It's about 35-40 hours a week in my household, 8 until 6 to 8 weekends, an
hour weekday mornings, and two hours weekday evenings. Good job it's
mostly R4 on FM, although if we go out it's mysteriously changed itself to
R1 or Kiss FM when we come back :-)

It's the same when my motorhome goes to the garage for a service. There's a
good audio set-up in there and the boys in the garage like to road test it
on Radio One and Radio Hallam. These days I disconnect the 24/12 converter
and the 12V battery.

I have had a similar problem with the work van from time to time, with
various helpers leaving the radio on a ghastly jungle music station. On
these occasions I punish them by listening to R3 during a long journey.

In the days of the school run little fingers used to tune away from R4, and
would get a smack.

I think young people should be banned.

Bill

Old August 20th 09, 12:20 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
You perhaps not, but assume the entirely possible scenario of
someone
listening to a 128 kb/s service every day, for 8 hours a day.

128 kb/s
= 16 kB/s
= 57 MB/hour
= 460.8 MB/day
= 13.8 GB/month

Crikey. Not a good idea falling asleep to the World Service, then?

Why?

Cost if from internet radio?

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Old August 20th 09, 12:28 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
You perhaps not, but assume the entirely possible scenario of
someone
listening to a 128 kb/s service every day, for 8 hours a day.

128 kb/s
= 16 kB/s
= 57 MB/hour
= 460.8 MB/day
= 13.8 GB/month

Crikey. Not a good idea falling asleep to the World Service, then?

Why?

Cost if from internet radio?

Could you rephrase that in English, please?