A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 20th 09, 12:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other
existing wireless network. *******s.
  #2  
Old August 20th 09, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
Ric wrote:

If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other
existing wireless network. *******s.


But you read the product overview and saw "Wireless bridge requires at
least one additional WNHDE111 unit", so you knew that before you bought
it. No?

  #3  
Old August 20th 09, 02:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric Harris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On 20 Aug, 13:10, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ric wrote:
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. *Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other
existing wireless network. ********s.


But you read the product overview and saw "Wireless bridge requires at
least one additional WNHDE111 unit", so you knew that before you bought
it. *No?


I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"
  #4  
Old August 20th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 553
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

Ric wrote:
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other
existing wireless network. *******s.


Hmm, a quick check doesn't even reveal what Ethernet interface they have
which doesn't inspire confidence...

However you'll struggle to convince me that it's not possible for you to
attach it by Ethernet to a wired/wireless network (eg a LAN port on a
wireless router) and make everything work - or is that not what you were
describing?

Alex
  #5  
Old August 21st 09, 03:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
Ric Harris wrote:

On 20 Aug, 13:10, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ric wrote:
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a
wired bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. *Despite
the name, they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't
bridge to any other existing wireless network. ********s.


But you read the product overview and saw "Wireless bridge requires
at least one additional WNHDE111 unit", so you knew that before you
bought it. *No?


I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"


Has 802.11n actually been ratified yet, or are they still at the "we're
all using Draft 2 so it's sort of a standard" stage?

  #6  
Old August 21st 09, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:00:53 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:

I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"


It takes two devices to make a wireless bridge between two wired segments,
so your complaint is that you can't make a bridge from two half-bridges
bought from different suppliers - something that Netgear never implied let
alone claimed.

Is there any specification that could allow different manufacturers to
achieve more general compatibility and compliance?

Tony
  #7  
Old August 21st 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric Harris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On 21 Aug, 08:47, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:00:53 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:

I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"


It takes two devices to make a wireless bridge between two wired segments,
so your complaint is that you can't make a bridge from two half-bridges
bought from different suppliers - something that Netgear never implied let
alone claimed.

Is there any specification that could allow different manufacturers to
achieve more general compatibility and compliance?

Tony


My point is that it seems reasonable to assume that a device sold as a
wireless bridge would allow you to wirelessly connect it to another
wireless bridge or another wireless network, and provide a wired
ethernet port as a result. This device does just that, *but only
between two identical netgear devices of this type*. I repeat,
*******s.
  #8  
Old August 21st 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 311
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

Ric wrote:
If anyone's thinking of buying a Netgear WNHDE111 to give them a wired
bridge to an 802.11n wireless network, then don't. Despite the name,
they only bridge between 2 WNHDE111's - they won't bridge to any other
existing wireless network. *******s.


I may be misreading what you say, but it sounds as if you wish to
connect the netgear as a bridge to a another manufacturer's unit
providing a WAP. That I have not seen as possible, though I have not
looked extensively.

You will probably find that the pre-existing unit also bridges only to a
similar unit, so your comment applies to them as well.

--
PeeGee

"Nothing should be able to load itself onto a computer without the
knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able
to be removed from a computer easily."
Peter Cullen, Microsoft Chief Privacy Strategist (Computing 18 Aug 05)
  #9  
Old August 21st 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 01:12:09 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:

On 21 Aug, 08:47, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:00:53 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:

I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"


It takes two devices to make a wireless bridge between two wired segments,
so your complaint is that you can't make a bridge from two half-bridges
bought from different suppliers - something that Netgear never implied let
alone claimed.

Is there any specification that could allow different manufacturers to
achieve more general compatibility and compliance?

Tony


My point is that it seems reasonable to assume that a device sold as a
wireless bridge would allow you to wirelessly connect it to another
wireless bridge or another wireless network, and provide a wired
ethernet port as a result. This device does just that, *but only
between two identical netgear devices of this type*. I repeat,
*******s.


Just because your own misunderstanding was "reasonable to assume" does not
make someone else a *******. Next time you had best read the specs because
you are clearly unqualified to make reliable technical assumptions.

Tony
  #10  
Old August 24th 09, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric Harris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Netgear WNHDE111 wireless bridges - lying toerags

On 21 Aug, 17:42, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 01:12:09 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:





On 21 Aug, 08:47, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:00:53 -0700 (PDT), Ric Harris
wrote:


I take your point (and you're right, I guess) but I am irritated that
if I pick up something claiming to be an 802.11n wireless bridge that
their definition of this is "buy two of them"


It takes two devices to make a wireless bridge between two wired segments,
so your complaint is that you can't make a bridge from two half-bridges
bought from different suppliers - something that Netgear never implied let
alone claimed.


Is there any specification that could allow different manufacturers to
achieve more general compatibility and compliance?


Tony


My point is that it seems reasonable to assume that a device sold as a
wireless bridge would allow you to wirelessly connect it to another
wireless bridge or another wireless network, and provide a wired
ethernet port as a result. *This device does just that, *but only
between two identical netgear devices of this type*. *I repeat,
*******s.


Just because your own misunderstanding was "reasonable to assume" does not
make someone else a *******. *Next time you had best read the specs because
you are clearly unqualified to make reliable technical assumptions.

Tony- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Thanks for your input. I still maintain it seems reasonable that
something labelled a wireless bridge would work in a similar way to
WDS et al. Wireless bridging is a pretty common term, and a pretty
common function, and I think it perverse that the Netgear doesn't.
Have a google for "wireless bridge" and you'll see how blimmin common
it is.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wireless ethernet bridges Eps uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 January 21st 09 12:41 PM
Homeplug. Two separate pairs of bridges? Nollaig MacKenzie uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 4 March 7th 08 12:09 PM
Blair may be a lying sack of Sh1te Big Jim uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 April 30th 05 05:03 PM
Wireless Network Bridges - Reviews Netman uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 June 12th 04 10:10 PM
FS: 2 x NeverWire Powerline Ethernet bridges john testing uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 January 16th 04 07:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.