Question about i-plate

Old August 21st 09, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

Default Question about i-plate

Have ordered an i-plate just to see if it will help my broadband
connection.
However my wireless modem is not connected to the main master box, its
in the first extension.
Will I need to move my modem to the main master box or will the i-
plate isolate the bell wire prior to the extension?
I used to have it plugged into the master socket but its more
convenient as I have an airport adapter attached to my home cinema
system.
I experimented before moving it and there is no difference in the
speeds in either place.
Old August 21st 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"les" wrote in message
Have ordered an i-plate just to see if it will help my broadband
connection.
However my wireless modem is not connected to the main master box, its
in the first extension.
Will I need to move my modem to the main master box or will the i-
plate isolate the bell wire prior to the extension?
I used to have it plugged into the master socket but its more
convenient as I have an airport adapter attached to my home cinema
system.
I experimented before moving it and there is no difference in the
speeds in either place.

The I-Plate inserts a choke in the bell wire that should reduce the pickup
of interference by the bell wire acting as a RX antenna. Perhaps if you gave
some more details some other suggestions as to what to try could be made.

Peter Crosland

Old August 21st 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:18:25 -0700 (PDT), les wrote:

Have ordered an i-plate just to see if it will help my broadband
connection.
However my wireless modem is not connected to the main master box, its
in the first extension.
Will I need to move my modem to the main master box or will the i-
plate isolate the bell wire prior to the extension?
I used to have it plugged into the master socket but its more
convenient as I have an airport adapter attached to my home cinema
system.
I experimented before moving it and there is no difference in the
speeds in either place.

Are you talking about sync speeds as reported by your modem or download
speed tests? It's the sync speed that is important, also SNR margin and
attenuation. These are the only ones you can affect by the internal
wiring.

May I suggest that you log into your modem and note them and then move
the modem to the master socket but remove the faceplate and plug into
the test socket, only the modem - no phones, and then note the sync
stats again. That's the best you can possibly get, assuming the
extensions have been correctly connected to the faceplate and not to
the incoming wiring point.

If that improves things the i-plate may help. If it doesn't then the
i-plate won't help.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old August 21st 09, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

I tested the download speed before moving it from the master socket
and the speed test was:

0.86 mbps download
69ms ping
0.33 mbps upload
5mb mp3 download 47 secs
35mb video download 5mins
800 mb movie file 124 mins

Did the same after the move to extension and no noticeable difference.

my broadband package is up to 8bps AOL package.

Not sure when the extension was put in but think it may have been done
by bt at the same time as the bt master socket was installed.

Old August 21st 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

"les" wrote in message
I tested the download speed before moving it from the master socket
and the speed test was:

0.86 mbps download
69ms ping
0.33 mbps upload
5mb mp3 download 47 secs
35mb video download 5mins
800 mb movie file 124 mins

Did the same after the move to extension and no noticeable difference.

my broadband package is up to 8bps AOL package.

Not sure when the extension was put in but think it may have been done
by bt at the same time as the bt master socket was installed.

Download speeds are variable due to contention, time of day, quality of
ISP's backhaul etc etc. The only meaningful comparison is between sync
speeds, as Rodney has pointed out.

--
Martin

Old August 21st 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

On Aug 21, 5:56*pm, "198kHz" wrote:
"les" wrote in message

I tested the download speed before moving it from the master socket
and the speed test was:

0.86 mbps download
69ms ping
0.33 mbps upload
5mb mp3 download 47 secs
35mb video download 5mins
800 mb movie file 124 mins

Did the same after the move to extension and no noticeable difference.

my broadband package is up to 8bps AOL package.

Not sure when the extension was put in but think it may have been done
by bt at the same time as the bt master socket was installed.

Download speeds are variable due to contention, time of day, quality of
ISP's backhaul etc etc. The only meaningful comparison is between sync
speeds, as Rodney has pointed out.

--
Martin

will check sync speed
Old August 22nd 09, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 21/08/09 07:18, les wrote:

Have ordered an i-plate just to see if it will help my broadband
connection.
However my wireless modem is not connected to the main master box, its
in the first extension.
Will I need to move my modem to the main master box

If you're willing to move the router to be near the master socket, then
a faceplate ADSL filter instead of an i-plate will probably do a better job.
Old August 22nd 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

Seem to have sorted things out to a better situation.
Moved the netgear router to the master socket, had trouble with the
connection via wireless to my apple airport express which involved
updating the firmware on my router so now have wireless music via
itunes and internet at the same time.
Speeds in general have increased but not sure whether this was due to
the i-plate (only cost £5) or the firmware update.

Thanks for all postings and private emails on how to sort matters out,
thanks to the newsgroup have saved myself a lot of time.

Old August 23rd 09, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"les" wrote in message
I tested the download speed before moving it from the master socket
and the speed test was:

0.86 mbps download
69ms ping
0.33 mbps upload
5mb mp3 download 47 secs
35mb video download 5mins
800 mb movie file 124 mins

Did the same after the move to extension and no noticeable
difference.

my broadband package is up to 8bps AOL package.

Not sure when the extension was put in but think it may have been
done
by bt at the same time as the bt master socket was installed.

That is not what was suggested. Removed the faceplate & test from the
test socket, if you are testing with the faceplate still there you
won't see a lot off difference because all the extension wiring is
still connected.

The testing from the test socket would have to be over several hours
as synching the router repeatedly can fool the DSLAM into thinking
there is a fault and reduce your speeds, in the worse case scenario
this could lead to a stuck profile but it is the only way for you to
check.

A cheaper way to deal with the issue would be to remove the bell wire
at the master socket (idc 3). Now if you've already done that you
won't see much of an improvement when fitting a I-Plate.

Possibly a little research could have saved you the price of an
I-Plate plus postage..

Old August 23rd 09, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
les

On Aug 22, 11:11*pm, Kráftéé wrote:
"les" wrote in message

[...]

Sync was tested as per instructions from an email from a member of
this newsgroup and I dont think I will worry about the £5 including
postage, the main thing was to improve my broadband connection, I did
think about removing the bell wire but the i-plate is the easy option.
I do understand that there maybe a further improvement over the coming
days.