XLN Telecom and their crap broadband

Old August 21st 09, 04:09 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default XLN Telecom and their crap broadband

(FTR and the Google archive).

We couldn't fault the phone side of XLN Telecom (it's good), but
the broadband when we signed up for it was awful. The speed
promised was "*UP TO* 8Mb broadband speed". Note the "up to" bit,
that's their disclaimer. Right from the start it crawled and that
was when it was working, which for the most part it didn't. When we
needed to use it we found we had to reboot the router to resync.
Many hours were spent on the phone with technical support trying to
rectify the problem, but in the end tech support said (admitted)
that the line length was too long and were surprised that we were
getting the speed/service at all. Our premises are situated in
South Woodford, London, not some remote village in the Scottish
highlands. Tech support said that the contracts department would
contact us to cancel the broadband side. Two weeks later after
waiting for someone to call, I phoned them and was told that to
cancel we would have to pay a fee of seventy pounds, because the
service promised was up to 8Mb. We grudgingly paid up to get rid of
their inadequate service and are now using a hsdpa modem on the 3
mobile network and achieving rock solid speeds of 2 to 3 times that
of XLN's. To add insult to injury it seems that we cannot use the
phone line for ADSL from another provider because when we ordered
broadband from XLN we entered in to another two year contract with
them.

Be sure to get XLN to test your line before ordering broadband from
them.
Old August 21st 09, 06:16 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
To add insult to injury it seems that we cannot use the
phone line for ADSL from another provider because when we ordered
broadband from XLN we entered in to another two year contract with
them.

WHy should that preclude you ordering adsl eleswhere?

Old August 22nd 09, 12:08 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
To add insult to injury it seems that we cannot use the
phone line for ADSL from another provider because when we ordered
broadband from XLN we entered in to another two year contract with
them.

WHy should that preclude you ordering adsl eleswhere?

Because they have line rental unbundled from BT. This is always a bad move.

So it would seem.

(Groups restored for the Google archive).
Old August 22nd 09, 11:03 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Dave" wrote in message
Peter Crosland wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
To add insult to injury it seems that we cannot use the
phone line for ADSL from another provider because when we
ordered
broadband from XLN we entered in to another two year contract
with
them.

WHy should that preclude you ordering adsl eleswhere?

Because they have line rental unbundled from BT. This is always a
bad move.

So it would seem.

If you go to OFCOM they should (I could say will but we all know how
toothless they often appear to be be) able to get the flag
removed.....

Don't know why you paid any cancellation fee, if the product is not
for use then they not you are in breach of contract. Got 9 months
fees refunded when a ISP attempted to play hardball with me about me
leaving because the service was so crap and I knew I would get better
service at a vastly better price.

Old August 25th 09, 12:07 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J.

In on Sat, 22
Aug 2009 00:08:42 +0100, in uk.net.providers, 'Dave' wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
To add insult to injury it seems that we cannot use the
phone line for ADSL from another provider because when we ordered
broadband from XLN we entered in to another two year contract with
them.

WHy should that preclude you ordering adsl eleswhere?

Because they have line rental unbundled from BT. This is always a bad move.

So it would seem.

When I see comments like that I always feel I should stick up for
'talk-talk' as they're split from BT and their broadband has been quite
adequate (esp given the price of the all inclusive 20UKP/month
rental/bb/landline-calls deal I'm on).

No idea what customer service would be like, and I've never used their pop
server or web hosting, but for POTS plus a plain ADSL linkup they've been
fine.

Similar quality for three other users that I've helped set up.

uk.media.broadband snipped from group list.

Dave J.
Old August 28th 09, 04:16 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
XLN

On Aug 25, 12:07*pm, Dave J. wrote:
In on Sat, 22
Aug 2009 00:08:42 +0100, in uk.net.providers, 'Dave' wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
d...
Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
[...]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. We’re always interested in what our
customers think and concerned if you’re not happy with us.

Your line is on Opal LLU and is actually the Talk Talk network and
your BB works in exactly the same way.

It’s the not only the distance from the exchange that affects your BB
service, it’s also sometimes the quality of the Openreach line into
your premises that can affect your speed.

If you want to have ADSL with another provider on your line, I am more
than happy to migrate you back onto the BT Wholesale network at no
additional cost to yourself on this occasion. But we cannot guarantee
the speed will improve due to the quality of the line.

Give us a call and ask to be put through to me.

Kind regards

Sallyanne Hutchinson

Head of BB for XLN.
Old August 28th 09, 11:09 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

XLN wrote:
On Aug 25, 12:07*pm, Dave J. wrote:
In on Sat, 22
Aug 2009 00:08:42 +0100, in uk.net.providers, 'Dave' wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
d...
Dave wrote on 21/08/2009 :
[...]

Really? Someone should tell your disconnections department that;
they only seemed concerned with squeezing a seventy quid
disconnection fee out of us.

Your line is on Opal LLU and is actually the Talk Talk network and
your BB works in exactly the same way.

I think you may be confusing Dave J with me. Dave J seems to be
happy with the broadband he is using, but I'm sure he would not be
happy to have the broadband your company supplied to us.

It?s the not only the distance from the exchange that affects your BB
service, it?s also sometimes the quality of the Openreach line into
your premises that can affect your speed.

I appreciate that. However, my complaint is that your company sold
us broadband without first checking that you could deliver it and
than charged us to cancel it when you couldn't deliver it.

If you want to have ADSL with another provider on your line, I am more
than happy to migrate you back onto the BT Wholesale network at no
additional cost to yourself on this occasion.

That is "no additional cost" to what we have already paid, is it?

But we cannot guarantee
the speed will improve due to the quality of the line.

Obviously.

Old August 30th 09, 11:11 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J.

In on Fri, 28
Aug 2009 23:09:44 +0100, in uk.net.providers, 'Dave' wrote:

Your line is on Opal LLU and is actually the Talk Talk network and
your BB works in exactly the same way.

I think you may be confusing Dave J with me. Dave J seems to be
happy with the broadband he is using, but I'm sure he would not be
happy to have the broadband your company supplied to us.

I'm a bit puzzled TBH.

It looks to me as though the XLN (rep?) who replied was attempting to
deflect my praise for TalkTalk onto their firm.

I can see the justification for this, in that XLN have apparently just
made some sort of deal with TT (well, Opal) but my interpretation of this
deal is sort of the other way around to hers. It seems to me that it could
be a worrying sign for the future if a company which behaves the way you
(Dave) describe has linked up with one that I have so far liked

Care to elaborate Dave? Why did Ms XLN seize upon my praise of TT's
broadband offering as though it applied to XLN?

Does the agreement between XLN and Opal run deeper than I hope? From what
I've read it looks like a slighly glorified re-seller deal, but from the
reaction of the 'Head of BB for XLN' to my posting it sounds as though it
may be more than that.

That said, it sounds like possible good news for you, in that you can use
the promise made in that posting to ensure you can free your line up for
ADSL use via another provider.

Dave J.