Linksys router changed language??? How to fix?

Old August 21st 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

Default Linksys router changed language??? How to fix?

My parents have a Linksys WAG54GS router which they have had for
a long time.

Today, they called me to say their Internet had gone down (Talktalk).
When I asked them to go into the router at http://192.168.1.1, after
they entered the router username and password correctly, the admin
pages all came up in French! This is bizarre, because only recently
I was in there and it was in English as it always had been.

Googling for the issue only turned up hits with people saying the
router language is set according to where it is sold, but nothing
about why a router might suddenly decide to change its language!

Does anyone know how we can get it back to English? Their internet
connection is still down so I can't connect remotely to look at it.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old August 21st 09, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Stovell

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:07:10 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:

My parents have a Linksys WAG54GS router which they have had for a long
time.

Today, they called me to say their Internet had gone down (Talktalk). When
I asked them to go into the router at http://192.168.1.1, after they
entered the router username and password correctly, the admin pages all
came up in French! This is bizarre, because only recently I was in there
and it was in English as it always had been.

Googling for the issue only turned up hits with people saying the router
language is set according to where it is sold, but nothing about why a
router might suddenly decide to change its language!

Does anyone know how we can get it back to English? Their internet
connection is still down so I can't connect remotely to look at it.

Cheers
Tony

Language setting is in Administration | Firmware upgrade, for some
strange reason.
Old August 21st 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Tony Mountifield" wrote in message
My parents have a Linksys WAG54GS router which they have had for
a long time.

Today, they called me to say their Internet had gone down (Talktalk).
When I asked them to go into the router at http://192.168.1.1, after
they entered the router username and password correctly, the admin
pages all came up in French! This is bizarre, because only recently
I was in there and it was in English as it always had been.

Googling for the issue only turned up hits with people saying the
router language is set according to where it is sold, but nothing
about why a router might suddenly decide to change its language!

Does anyone know how we can get it back to English? Their internet
connection is still down so I can't connect remotely to look at it.

It sounds as if it could be a modem sold in a French speaking country that
has reset to the default language. This could have happened if there was a
glitch on the mains. Have you had a look at the manual on the Linksys
website? www.linksysbycisco.com

Peter Crosland

Old August 21st 09, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

No, it was bought in the UK several years ago, and we have done a factory
reset on more than one occasion and it has stayed in English.

I have the PDF of the manual, which I have been scouring while on the
phone to my parents who are 50 miles away!

Cheers
Tony
Old August 21st 09, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article .uk,
Phil Stovell wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, the manual PDF that I have doesn't show this. I'll have to get
them to look there and see if there is a "Lingue" setting or something.

Cheers
Tony
Old August 21st 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article .uk,
Phil Stovell wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that option was there, and we now have the router talking
in English again! Now to try and diagnose why it can't connect.
Anyone aware of Talktalk having any problems at the moment?

Cheers
Tony
Old August 22nd 09, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
William

On 21 Aug, 19:49, (Tony Mountifield) wrote:
In article ,

Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article .uk,
Phil Stovell wrote:
[...]

The router may have "reset" and now needs their logon details re-
imputting.

If you need to talk them through it, there are emulators for most
Linksys equipment at http://ui.linksys.com/files/

The specific emulator for the WAG54GS is at http://ui.linksys.com/files/WAG54GS/1.00.08/Setup.htm

--
WH

Old August 22nd 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Thanks, that option was there, and we now have the router talking
in English again! Now to try and diagnose why it can't connect.

Probably not of interest, but the WAG54GS, with the right
firmware flash, can be used with DMT tool.
I did however have to lean on Linksys support to get it.
AFAIR it was
WAG54GSv1-EU-AnnexA-ETSI.img
Old August 22nd 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

bod43 wrote:

On 22 Aug, 01:10, William wrote:

The specific emulator for the WAG54GS is
at http://ui.linksys.com/files/WAG54GS/1.00.08/Setup.htm

What a fine idea. Don't know what it is actually for tho'.

I should have thought it were obvious: for situations like this, where one
needs to talk someone through configuring something that one doesn't have
access to.

Linksys should be commended for providing something useful that isn't
strictly necessary for them to do.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:36:19 up 108 days, 12:57, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.16, 0.15