A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 23rd 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
James Egan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing


I am a bit puzzled by one or two 3mobile broadband issues and was
hoping someone might be able to explain it for me.

In particular I was wondering about port forwarding on my HSDPA/UMTS
router and whether or not it would work. The three.co.uk website
actually has a "how to" for setting up port forwarding on a Huawei
D100 router so I guess it's supposed to work but I don't know how.

I was expecting the router WAN ip address to be an assigned public
address from 3 but it isn't. In fact it is an address on private
network 10.0.0.0/8

These are the assigned addresses which are all private
Router ip 10.118.214.4
Router default gateway 10.64.64.64
Router DNS 172.31.140.69
Router DNS 172.31.76.69

A check on my public ip address using a web checker returns
217.171.129.71 which reverse looks up to nat71.mia.three.co.uk, part
of 3's "NAT Pool for Mobiles".

So if I am getting Internet access from a pool of NAT devices, how can
port forwarding work on my router unless the public ip address maps to
the routers (private) WAN ip address on a 1 to 1 basis? Perhaps it
does?

To try and shed some light I tried a tracert from one of the xp pc's
to www.dslreports.com but was even more bemused when it returned...

Tracing route to www.dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.7.2
2 111 ms 120 ms 128 ms 172.31.88.36
3 128 ms 129 ms 129 ms 172.31.152.22
4 129 ms 129 ms 129 ms 217.171.129.125
5 128 ms 129 ms 130 ms 217.171.128.36
6 130 ms 129 ms 109 ms 172.31.252.114
7 148 ms 139 ms 140 ms 195.50.90.153
8 149 ms 159 ms 150 ms ae-34-52.ebr2.London1.Level3.net
[4.69.139.97]
9 ...


The first address is the private ip address of my router, the next two
hops are private addresses at 3, then two hops around public ip
addresses from 3's nat pool for mobiles, then a hop back inside 3's
private network and then finally out into the ether via level3
communications.

Thanks for any helpful explanations.


Jim.

  #2  
Old August 23rd 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christof Meerwald
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:10:41 +0100, James Egan wrote:
[...]
I was expecting the router WAN ip address to be an assigned public
address from 3 but it isn't. In fact it is an address on private
network 10.0.0.0/8


In my experience, I get a public IP address (currently
94.196.x.x.threembb.co.uk) when connected to 3 via 3G, but only get a natted
10.x.x.x address when it's falling back to GPRS/EDGE.


Christof

--
http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
  #3  
Old August 23rd 09, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing

On 2009-08-23, Christof Meerwald wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:10:41 +0100, James Egan wrote:
[...]
I was expecting the router WAN ip address to be an assigned public
address from 3 but it isn't. In fact it is an address on private
network 10.0.0.0/8


In my experience, I get a public IP address (currently
94.196.x.x.threembb.co.uk) when connected to 3 via 3G, but only get a natted
10.x.x.x address when it's falling back to GPRS/EDGE.


It must depend on something. On the 5 handset data add-on,
or when using the "free" data they add to your account when you
top up now, I have only ever been assigned net 10 addresses.
This is using "three.co.uk" as the APN.

The choice of assigned address could depend on the APN, with
"3internet" being the other choice (that's how AT&T does this
in the USA), or might depend on whether the 10 broadband add-on
has been purchased, or some combination of these, or something
else entirely. It would be interesting to know what is required
to get a public address in case I someday need to use an
application which requires it (e.g. my employer's VPN).

Dennis Ferguson
  #4  
Old August 23rd 09, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
bod43
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 105
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing

On 23 Aug, 10:10, James Egan wrote:
I am a bit puzzled by one or two 3mobile broadband issues and was
hoping someone might be able to explain it for me.

In particular I was wondering about port forwarding on my HSDPA/UMTS
router and whether or not it would work. The three.co.uk website
actually has a "how to" for setting up port forwarding on a Huawei
D100 router so I guess it's supposed to work but I don't know how.

I was expecting the router WAN ip address to be an assigned public
address from 3 but it isn't. In fact it is an address on private
network 10.0.0.0/8

These are the assigned addresses which are all private
Router ip 10.118.214.4
Router default gateway 10.64.64.64
Router DNS 172.31.140.69
Router DNS 172.31.76.69

A check on my public ip address using a web checker returns
217.171.129.71 which reverse looks up to nat71.mia.three.co.uk, part
of 3's "NAT Pool for Mobiles".

So if I am getting Internet access from a pool of NAT devices, how can
port forwarding work on my router unless the public ip address maps to
the routers (private) WAN ip address on a 1 to 1 basis? *Perhaps it
does?

To try and shed some light I tried a tracert from one of the xp pc's
towww.dslreports.combut was even more bemused when it returned...

Tracing route towww.dslreports.com[209.123.109.175]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

* 1 * * 2 ms * * 2 ms * * 2 ms *192.168.7.2
* 2 * 111 ms * 120 ms * 128 ms *172.31.88.36
* 3 * 128 ms * 129 ms * 129 ms *172.31.152.22
* 4 * 129 ms * 129 ms * 129 ms *217.171.129.125
* 5 * 128 ms * 129 ms * 130 ms *217.171.128.36
* 6 * 130 ms * 129 ms * 109 ms *172.31.252.114
* 7 * 148 ms * 139 ms * 140 ms *195.50.90.153
* 8 * 149 ms * 159 ms * 150 ms *ae-34-52.ebr2.London1.Level3.net
[4.69.139.97]
* 9 * ...

The first address is the private ip address of my router, the next two
hops are private addresses at 3, then two hops around public ip
addresses from 3's nat pool for mobiles, then a hop back inside 3's
private network and then finally out into the ether via level3
communications.

Thanks for any helpful explanations.


Don't get too exercised by the weird traceroute.
Remember how it actually works.
Each intermediate hop sends a response back to
the traceroute originator however there is no
guarantee how that response will be routed.

For example the response from
6 130 ms 129 ms 109 ms 172.31.252.114


could be entering the public internet at one of several points
and it just might happen that the router/firewall that handles it
is not natting the traffic as might be convenient for you.

Obviously if your router is not getting a public address
then you will not be able to publish any open ports
on to the internet. Maybe if you ask the provider
they can fix it for you? Of course getting through to
a clueful person might not be so easy.
  #5  
Old August 23rd 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
James Egan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing


On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:06:28 -0500, Dennis Ferguson
wrote:

In my experience, I get a public IP address (currently
94.196.x.x.threembb.co.uk) when connected to 3 via 3G, but only get a natted
10.x.x.x address when it's falling back to GPRS/EDGE.


It must depend on something. On the 5 handset data add-on,
or when using the "free" data they add to your account when you
top up now, I have only ever been assigned net 10 addresses.
This is using "three.co.uk" as the APN.


I'm definitely on the high speed network with a 10.x.x.x address.
Three never actually gave me any instructions for APN etc. I just
googled them up and currently am using "three.co.uk" as APN, "guest"
as username and "*99***1#" as phone number


The choice of assigned address could depend on the APN, with
"3internet" being the other choice (that's how AT&T does this
in the USA), or might depend on whether the 10 broadband add-on
has been purchased, or some combination of these, or something
else entirely. It would be interesting to know what is required
to get a public address in case I someday need to use an
application which requires it (e.g. my employer's VPN).


I just tried it with "3internet" as the APN and was assigned a public
address rather than a private one so it appears your assertion is
correct.

Incidentally I'm on the 15gB for 15 package.



Jim.

  #6  
Old August 24th 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Dennis Ferguson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing

On 2009-08-23, James Egan wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:06:28 -0500, Dennis Ferguson
wrote:
The choice of assigned address could depend on the APN, with
"3internet" being the other choice (that's how AT&T does this
in the USA), or might depend on whether the ??10 broadband add-on
has been purchased, or some combination of these, or something
else entirely. It would be interesting to know what is required
to get a public address in case I someday need to use an
application which requires it (e.g. my employer's VPN).


I just tried it with "3internet" as the APN and was assigned a public
address rather than a private one so it appears your assertion is
correct.

Incidentally I'm on the 15gB for ?15 package.


Thanks. I just tried this from my (tethered) handset and
found the same thing: the "three.co.uk" APN gives out NATted
addresses, the "3internet" APN gives out public addresses. This
seems to work even through I currently only have a handset
data allowance.

AT&T in the USA also uses 2 APNs which do the same thing
though, unlike 3 apparently, they restrict the APN which gives out
public addresses to those who've paid for higher-tariff data plans.
The other thing AT&T does is to block incoming TCP connections
even with the public address APN. I'm down to a single laptop
at the moment so I can't test this, but I assume you will be finding
out what 3 does shortly.

Dennis Ferguson
  #7  
Old August 24th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
James Egan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default 3Network mobile broadband addressing and routing


On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:52:39 -0500, Dennis Ferguson
wrote:

AT&T in the USA also uses 2 APNs which do the same thing
though, unlike 3 apparently, they restrict the APN which gives out
public addresses to those who've paid for higher-tariff data plans.
The other thing AT&T does is to block incoming TCP connections
even with the public address APN. I'm down to a single laptop
at the moment so I can't test this, but I assume you will be finding
out what 3 does shortly.


I can telnet into the router using the external ip address so there's
no blocking on port 23 at least.


Jim.

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAYG Mobile Broadband O2 or T Mobile? Nigel uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 31 July 20th 09 10:09 AM
3G Mobile Broadband MB uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 October 22nd 08 01:23 PM
EU looks toward addressing two speed broadband lbasn uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 October 16th 07 09:16 AM
Trans Con Mobile announces mobile, Wi-Fi based VoIP system KnowingAbout.com uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 July 29th 06 08:51 PM
Broadband non-availability and line routing Charlie Gibbons uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 October 12th 04 11:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.