Location of mobile phone transmitters - an answer

Old August 24th 09, 05:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

Default Location of mobile phone transmitters - an answer

Hi,

Following on from a recent discussion on mobile broadband
signal strength I thought that some of you might like this.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Ofcom seem to provide maps showing the location of all mobile
phone transmitters. This might be useful when trying to determine
from which window to dangle the dongle.

UMTS = 3G
GSM = not 3G

Apparently due to some dispute with the operators the map may
not be exactly up to date.

Web site is pretty poor by current standards, but does at the
end of the day work.

Also bumped into this one -
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009...and-reception/

I am not convinced that the clip on antennae (i.e. no electrical
connection to the broadband dongle) are not pure snake oil
so buyers please beware.

Old August 24th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

bod43 wrote:
[...]

No, its not necessary to use actual conductive connections at Gigahertz
frequencies.

They should work.
Old August 24th 09, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

bod43 wrote:

Hi,

Following on from a recent discussion on mobile broadband
signal strength I thought that some of you might like this.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Very interesting - thanks for the link! [A bit laborious to use, though]

Also bumped into this one -
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009...and-reception/

I am not convinced that the clip on antennae (i.e. no electrical
connection to the broadband dongle) are not pure snake oil
so buyers please beware.

AIUI, it clips on to the laptop screen - but still has a cable which plugs
into the dongle, provided that the dongle has somewhere to plug it. [Having
read the article, I've discovered that my '3' (Huawei E160G) dongle *does*
have provision for an external antenna - under a little cover which I hadn't
previously noticed.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 24th 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"bod43" wrote in message
[...]

Any newcomers to this site, don't give up easily. It doesn't show
the sites until you get down somet
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot comhing like 500m resolution.

Old August 25th 09, 04:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 24 Aug, 14:45, "Roger Mills" wrote:

bod43 *wrote:
Hi,

Following on from a recent discussion on mobile broadband
signal strength I thought that some of you might like this.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Very interesting - thanks for the link! [A bit laborious to use, though]

Yes, awful design of web site.

AIUI, it clips on to the laptop screen - but still has a cable which plugs
into the dongle, provided that the dongle has somewhere to plug it.

The term "clip on" seems to be used for the two purposes on
that particular site. In other places often seems to mean no
electrical connection to dongle.

From Nat Phil's rsponse seems like it might be worth a try.
Old August 26th 09, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

bod43 wrote:

Also bumped into this one -
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009...and-reception/

I've just been following the instructions given in this link to determine my
signal strength, and have got some very strange results!

With my laptop in my study, with the dongle dangling out of a west-facing
window (where there are no nearby '3' 3G transmitters, AT+CSQ returns 7,99 -
which is reckoned to be pretty marginal.

However, when I move into a bedroom with a south-facing window, and with a
3G transmitter less than a mile away, this 'improves' to 17,99 - which is
supposed to be pretty good.

Now, here lies the rub. With the 'good' signal, a speed test gives a very
poor download speed - never more than 0.5M and sometimes as low as 0.1M -
and internet performance (e.g. video from BBC News site) is rubbish.
However, with the 'marginal' signal, the speed tester returns over 0.7M -
and internet performance is acceptable.

Can anyone offer an explanation for this topsy turvy state of affairs?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 26th 09, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Roger Mills wrote:
bod43 wrote:

[...]

One side is a diastant 3G cell, the other is a local 2G?
Old August 26th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
bod43 wrote:

[...]

I suppose that's a possible explanation - although, according to the mast
finder, the one giving a 'good' signal is *supposed* to be 3G.

I guess I shall have to use some of the more verbose AT strings to force it
to only look at 3G transmitters and see what happens.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 26th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Roger Mills wrote:

: I suppose that's a possible explanation - although, according to the mast
: finder, the one giving a 'good' signal is *supposed* to be 3G.

You need to check that you are getting HSDPA data access! On my 3 dongle
it changes LED colour to indicate this - and it is also in the
control applet.

The order of reception is GPRS (2G), UMTS (basic 3G) and then HSDPA -
depending on available signals ans their strength.