BT newsgroups missing

Old August 25th 09, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Homer Simpson

Default BT newsgroups missing

The BT newsgroups (such as bt.broadband.support and
bt.internet.users.chat amongst others) are closed to the public,
allowing only customers of BT Internet (or whatever it's called today)
to see/take part in them and the feed is provided by GigaNews.

Unfortunately, all the BT newsgroups have disappeared from the server
(at least for me anyway), giving Error 411 - no such group. That means,
that I can't access the groups to find out what's wrong and how to fix
it. Anyone else here who uses the BT groups? Can you still access them?
What's going on?

TIA
Old August 25th 09, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 25-Aug-2009, Homer Simpson wrote:

Anyone else here who uses the BT groups? Can you still access them?
What's going on?

I can see
bt.openworld.broadband.support .chat and .technical.chat
listed as available along with similar Virgin groups.
Perhaps BT's have been renamed to add openworld.
Use update to update your list of available groups.
Old August 25th 09, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message

The BT newsgroups (such as bt.broadband.support and
bt.internet.users.chat amongst others) are closed to the public,
allowing only customers of BT Internet (or whatever it's called today)
to see/take part in them and the feed is provided by GigaNews.

Unfortunately, all the BT newsgroups have disappeared from the server
(at least for me anyway), giving Error 411 - no such group. That means,
that I can't access the groups to find out what's wrong and how to fix
it. Anyone else here who uses the BT groups? Can you still access them?
What's going on?

TIA

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Suggest you have got a dodgy IP address like
I did so you need to switch off your router for half an hour and hope to get
a new IP address
Goto http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and make a note of the one you have now and
then again after rebooting router

Old August 25th 09, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pugwash

"SJP" wrote in message

[...]

I haven't seen them for many weeks. My IP address is a BT address. What do
you mean by "dodgy"?

Old August 26th 09, 06:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"pugwash" wrote in message
news
"SJP" wrote in message

[...]

"Dodgy" as in the IP address is somehow not registered with Giganews as a
valid btinternet customer and therefore they do not allow you to look at
btinternet specific newsgroups

Old August 26th 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

SJP wrote:
[...]

That sorted it, thanks mate )

Old August 26th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
SJP wrote:
[...]

Did you make a note of the IP that wouldn't let you access the newsgroups?