Mobile broadband

Old August 25th 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default Mobile broadband

I'm considering the purchase of a 'holiday home' in North Wales.
Morfa Bychan near Porthmadog.
I know nowt about mobile BB as I'm quite happy with my plusnet service at
home.
The guy in the computer shop in Porthmadog recommended 'Three' as if all
else fails they will 'roam' on another network to get a signal.
Is that true?
I switched my Orange phone to the UTMS setting there and it said 'no
signal', does that mean there will be no Orange mobile broadband available
there?

--
J B

Old August 25th 09, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

http://www.bestmobilebroadband.co.uk...-coverage.aspx

Old August 25th 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 25/08/2009 in message J B wrote:

I'm considering the purchase of a 'holiday home' in North Wales.

Keep the home fires burning....

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
Old August 25th 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"SJP" wrote in message

"J B" wrote in message
I'm considering the purchase of a 'holiday home' in North Wales.
Morfa Bychan near Porthmadog.
I know nowt about mobile BB as I'm quite happy with my plusnet service at
home.
The guy in the computer shop in Porthmadog recommended 'Three' as if all
else fails they will 'roam' on another network to get a signal.
Is that true?
I switched my Orange phone to the UTMS setting there and it said 'no
signal', does that mean there will be no Orange mobile broadband
available there?

http://www.bestmobilebroadband.co.uk...-coverage.aspx

Hmmm, looks like Three is the only option then - what's the best value PAYG
with them?

--
J B

Old August 25th 09, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"J B" wrote in message
"SJP" wrote in message

"J B" wrote in message
I'm considering the purchase of a 'holiday home' in North Wales.
Morfa Bychan near Porthmadog.
I know nowt about mobile BB as I'm quite happy with my plusnet service
at home.
The guy in the computer shop in Porthmadog recommended 'Three' as if all
else fails they will 'roam' on another network to get a signal.
Is that true?
I switched my Orange phone to the UTMS setting there and it said 'no
signal', does that mean there will be no Orange mobile broadband
available there?

http://www.bestmobilebroadband.co.uk...-coverage.aspx

Hmmm, looks like Three is the only option then - what's the best value
PAYG with them?
J B

Skype S2 for 39.99, ideal for what you want.

Steve Terry

Old August 25th 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Steve Terry wrote:

Skype S2 for 39.99, ideal for what you want.

And if you buy it through Quidco, there's another
12 cashback
Old August 25th 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"LP" wrote in message
Steve Terry wrote:

Skype S2 for 39.99, ideal for what you want.

And if you buy it through Quidco, there's another 12 cashback

Got a URL for that? all i can find is 11 at
http://www.quidco.com/3-mobile/

Steve Terry

Old August 25th 09, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Steve Terry wrote:

Skype S2 for 39.99, ideal for what you want.

And if you buy it through Quidco, there's another 12 cashback

Got a URL for that? all i can find is 11 at
http://www.quidco.com/3-mobile/

http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-utilities/3-mobile/

11.78 ~ 12.

Nothing in it, is there?
Old August 26th 09, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

J B wrote:
The guy in the computer shop in Porthmadog recommended 'Three' as if all
else fails they will 'roam' on another network to get a signal.
Is that true?

AIUI Three mobile SIMs will roam onto Orange 2G. Three dongle SIMs won't.
The S2 phone will come with a mobile SIM so that's fine.

I switched my Orange phone to the UTMS setting there and it said 'no
signal', does that mean there will be no Orange mobile broadband available
there?

If there's Orange GPRS then Three may work (but most likely to be
very flaky - I posted a semi-workaround to this group a week ago). I don't
know whether Orange's mobile broadband will work on GPRS.

Theo
Old August 26th 09, 04:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 26 Aug, 00:12, Theo Markettos
wrote:
J B wrote:
The guy in the computer shop in Porthmadog recommended 'Three' as if all
else fails they will 'roam' on another network to get a signal.
Is that true?

AIUI Three mobile SIMs will roam onto Orange 2G. *Three dongle SIMs won't.
The S2 phone will come with a mobile SIM so that's fine.

I switched my Orange phone to the UTMS setting there and it said 'no
signal', does that mean there will be no Orange mobile broadband available
there?

If there's Orange GPRS then Three may work (but most likely to be
very flaky - I posted a semi-workaround to this group a week ago). *I don't
know whether Orange's mobile broadband will work on GPRS.

Theo

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/
Suggests the there is Orange GSM near LL49 9YD.
Not 3G.

There is a 3 3G near the A497.

Look for yourself.