Skype and 100% cpu usage on video call

Old August 25th 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LP

Default Skype and 100% cpu usage on video call

Voice only is faultless with first class sound
quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
significantly.

I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
the last week.

With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
SODIMM's for a splendid 12.99 delivered).

I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

Old August 26th 09, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"LP" wrote in message
Voice only is faultless with first class sound
quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
significantly.

I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
the last week.

With Task Manager open, I could see that it was
the application 'skype.exe' hogging the cpu (95 -
100%). Since calling my brother I've upgraded the
memory to 1024Mb (play.com was offering 512Mb
SODIMM's for a splendid 12.99 delivered).

I've spent a lot of time searching the web, and
haven't so far found an obvious solution. Does
anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

It's your connection that's causing the problem.

Old August 26th 09, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Postill

In article , on Tue, 25 Aug 2009
19:14:51 +0100, LP wrote:

| Voice only is faultless with first class sound
| quality. With a video call - bro in Oz - the
| video freezes and sound quality drops away quite
| significantly.
|
| I was using my notebook (an 'ancient Sony PCG
| FR415b) with a 2.8MHz celeron cpu and 512Mb shared
| ram (graphics card) on a 3 s2 skypephone (used as
| a modem) capable of a 115 kbps broadband
| connection. OS is win XP with SP2 and skype
| software is version 4.1.60.145 downloaded within
| the last week.

Skype recommends a 512/256kbit (down/up) broadband internet connection.

Your connection is a) only 115Kbps (maximum?), and b) not a broadband
connection.

--
David Postill
Dance your Life - Biodanza in Holland - http://www.danceyourlife.eu
Old August 26th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

"LP" wrote in message
[...]

Try reducing the size of the window.

You have two limiting factors: -

1. Oz is a long haul - you will get transit delay / latency problems if the
bandwidth is contested or the call is multiply routed (cable & satellite).
This is likely, so you will see / hear jumps in the call.

2. Your PC is marginal for video playback, this is roughly the lower limit
for video playback and you are trying to compress and send the other way as
well.
This will show as similar symptoms to 1 as the PC discards segments to catch
up.

Old August 27th 09, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LP

LP wrote:
[...]

Looks like I've mis-quoted my connection speed.
It should read 1150kbps or just about 1MB.

Tried again last night with the 1GB memory and
it's just not happening; video freezes after not
much more than 5s.