Sipgate & Ipkall

Old August 28th 09, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lars Homestead

Default Sipgate & Ipkall

Hi,

Does anyonne know if it is possible to point an IPkall number to a UK
Sipgate number?

If so how? I can't get it to work.

Thanks.

Old August 28th 09, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Lars Homestead" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyonne know if it is possible to point an IPkall number to a UK
Sipgate number?

If so how? I can't get it to work.

Thanks.

Yes, well no,l not directly.

What I do is point the IPKall number at an Orbtalk account,
then use pbxes.com to terminate the Orbtalk trunk and
set an inbound route to forward calls to

Alternitivly you could just answer the Orbtalk account directly,
but Sipgate voicemail etc is nice to have.

Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM?
I have managed to get a US number I can use directly
in a phone etc.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 28th 09, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to get
a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(
Old August 28th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"R Johnson" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to get
a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(

Its your poxy email, they keep bouncing!
Only joking Richard.

Here is it again in a different format for you and anyone else who needs it.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/proxy.jpg

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 29th 09, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:23:23 +0100, Graham. wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to
get a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(

Its your poxy email, they keep bouncing! Only joking Richard.

Here is it again in a different format for you and anyone else who needs
it. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/proxy.jpg

Thanks - but it was a no-go here. The proxy aspect was not an issue in
the end, I found plenty that could cope (Ultrasurf is useful - but
windows based, so I threw it onto Virtual Box). The serious issue with
proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair there is *not such thing*
as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in the middle'.That pretty
much puts that to bed. In the end I just asked a friend in the USA if I
could log in via his box and all was mustard. Sometimes it's the simple
fix that solve the problem!

Thanks Graham :-)

Old August 29th 09, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

R Johnson wrote:

The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in
the middle'.

There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office [or
in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can only be
accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations have
policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from client
machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
"If being trapped in a tropical swamp with Anthony Worral-Thompson and

Old August 29th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"alexd" wrote in message
R Johnson wrote:

The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in
the middle'.

There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
[or
in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can only
be
accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations have
policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from client
machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

We have a lot of customers that access the public internet via a
common gateway. A regular complaint I get is when they can't
sign up for a Hotmail account "You have exceeded the maximum
number of signup attempts"

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 30th 09, 07:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:40:52 +0100, alexd wrote:

R Johnson wrote:

The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man
in the middle'.

There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
[or in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can
only be accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations
have policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from
client machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

But this *breaks* end to end encryption for https and defeats the point
of it :-) anyone with access to the proxy can potentially sniff the clear
data. It appears that this is now a 'feature'. Mmmm. http://wiki.squid-
cache.org/Features/SslBump
Old August 30th 09, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paulg0

R Johnson wrote:

The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man
in the middle'.

There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
[or in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can
only be accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations
have policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from
client machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

But this *breaks* end to end encryption for https and defeats the point
of it :-) anyone with access to the proxy can potentially sniff the clear
data. It appears that this is now a 'feature'. Mmmm. http://wiki.squid-
cache.org/Features/SslBump

My uderstanding is that if https traffic is allowed through a proxy server
it is simply tunelled through it untouched. Take a look at
http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/U...hin_IS A.html
for an example of this with ISA server

Paul

Old August 30th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

R Johnson wrote:

[...]

Understanding_SSL_bridging_and_tunneling_within_IS A.html
for an example of this with ISA server

Paul

Forgive my stupidity - I was having a mad few moments. Of course you can
proxy SSL. My confusion came from my time spent with a web filtering
company where *filtering* the SSL was the issue, not the connecting or
proxying itself. Derrrrrr. Just ignore me. It's my time of the month.