OT - LAN problem, XP

Old August 30th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default OT - LAN problem, XP

I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network
Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the
internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old August 30th 09, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files and
folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View workgroup
computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network Places is also
empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the internet, email and
etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Are you using a 3rd party software firewall on the affected machine?
try disabling it.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 30th 09, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network
Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the
internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Right-click on the LAN icon in the system tray Open Network Connections
Right-click LAN adapter Properties Scroll down and highlight Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties Advanced WINS tab NetBIOS should be
either default or enable - yours is probably disabled at the moment.

HTH,

Pete

Old August 30th 09, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Graham. formulated :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files and
folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View workgroup
computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network Places is also
empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the internet, email and
etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

-- Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Are you using a 3rd party software firewall on the affected machine?
try disabling it.

No firewall apart from the one in the router.

Old August 30th 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

After serious thinking Pete Zahut wrote :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network
Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the
internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Right-click on the LAN icon in the system tray Open Network Connections
Right-click LAN adapter Properties Scroll down and highlight Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties Advanced WINS tab NetBIOS should be
either default or enable - yours is probably disabled at the moment.

I found your suggested solution prior to posting the question. NetBIOS
wasn't enabled - I enabled it and it made no difference to the problem.

My thanks to both - anymore ideas?

Old August 30th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network
Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the
internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Right-click on the LAN icon in the system tray Open Network
Connections Right-click LAN adapter Properties Scroll down and
highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties Advanced WINS
tab NetBIOS should be either default or enable - yours is probably
disabled at the moment.

I found your suggested solution prior to posting the question. NetBIOS
wasn't enabled - I enabled it and it made no difference to the problem.

My thanks to both - anymore ideas?

Reboot everything.

Seen this loads of times. Never tracked it.
Old August 30th 09, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network
Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the
internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Right-click on the LAN icon in the system tray Open Network
Connections Right-click LAN adapter Properties Scroll down and
highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties Advanced WINS
tab NetBIOS should be either default or enable - yours is probably
disabled at the moment.

I found your suggested solution prior to posting the question. NetBIOS
wasn't enabled - I enabled it and it made no difference to the problem.

My thanks to both - anymore ideas?

Assuming you have checked the obvious (subnets/netmasks, workgroup
names, there are shared folders on the remote systems, ... ):

Have you tried inserting \\ip address\share name in the address bar
for windows explorer?

Are you using DHCP for addresses? XP has problems with printers using
DHCP (it logs the IP address rather than use DNS), not sure if it has
problems with shared folders, though.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old August 30th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy
files and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking
'View workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My
Network Places is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use
the internet, email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Try checking the Workgroup/domain

Old August 30th 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:15:38 +0100, Kráftéé wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
I used to be able to browse to other computers on my LAN to copy files
and folders, except now I can't. My Computer and clicking 'View
workgroup computers' just produces a bong error noise. My Network Places
is also empty. I can ping, print to a LAN printer, use the internet,
email and etc..

The problem only seems to be a problem on this one PC.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Try checking the Workgroup/domain

Firewall settings changed? Recent update borked your settings? Back to
basics. Can you ping anything including the gateway ?

Old August 30th 09, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Kráftéé wrote:

Try checking the Workgroup/domain

A while ago I tried to get two XP machines on a LAN to share folders and hit
similar problems. I never solved it. One of the XP machines was running
ZoneAlarm Pro (but I don't think I found anything in its logs to suggest
that ZAP had stopped necessary traffic). The other XP machine had the
Windows firewall enabled.

Both are Win XP Pro machines. I did define workgroup names on each machine,
but most of the wizards assume one has a corporate LAN and known working
values for workgroup and/or domain names. It wasn't at all clear whether
there were subtleties on these (or related?) settings.

Both machines had their LAN ip addresses assigned by DHCP in a router. The
machines could both ping each other and a printer also on the LAN. Both
machines had working internet access through the router.

After various changes and reboots, I returned every setting I'd changed to
its original value, and was relieved that what had previously worked still
did. I continue to use a USB stick for file transfers and to some extent
prefer that as at least it's easy to understand...

I would have been a lot happier if I'd known basic Windows command prompt
commands that would tell me what the machines could and couldn't do, rather
than relying on the GUIs to tell me what they thought I needed to know.

to replacing "nnn" by "284".