Broadband -Newbie Questions

Old August 31st 09, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Broadband -Newbie Questions

This year I want to move up from dial up to Sky's broadband which will be
quicker and cheaper than what I am currently paying.

However, over the years I have been happy with dialup, Pop3 access etc and
only occasional connection problems.

I want control and I currently connect to the Internet by manually clicking
the connect button. I have visions of inserting the Sky broadband CD and
having this make the connection to the Internet automatic making an
emergency narrowband dialup connection difficult.

I would be switching off the router each night in any case and want the
option to connect using dialup in an emergency, if for example I have
problems with the broadband with no further configuration or is this
asking too much ?

I suppose my main concern is that I think having Broadband will stop dialup
from working which I would still want for occasional use on my old Windows98
system.

Mike.

Old August 31st 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Mike wrote:
: I suppose my main concern is that I think having Broadband will stop dialup
: from working which I would still want for occasional use on my old Windows98
: system.

No! Broadband uses higher frequencies on the phone line and you can make
voice and/or dial-up ISP connections while broadband is active. All devices
(phones and dial-up modems) will, of course, need ADSL splitters between
them and the phone socket.

Old August 31st 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Mike used his keyboard to write :
[...]

I think you misunderstand broadband.

First broadband, unlike dialup, does not take your line completely
over, it works in the background and while running and connected you
can still make phone calls, send faxes or if you should need to - run a
dialup connection. The broadband use is completely invisible to the
phone use.

A modem /router would allow your Win98 machine to connect to the
Internet, assuming it had a LAN card, therefore no need for dialup.

Most/many broadband ISP's also supply a dialup number for emergency
use, should the broadband fail. Ours has never failed, so we have never
used it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old August 31st 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

[...]

There is really no need for an ISP to supply any software to connect
a PC to a router.

Even when they supply a USB modem, I strongly advocate just using
the disk to install the modem driver and nothing else.

With your router set-up all you might need to check is the network
interface on your PC is set to pick up its address etc automatically
(called DHCP) 9 times out of 10 this is the case so don't worry.

I take it your Windows 98 machine doesn't have a network interface?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 31st 09, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have Windows 98 or Windows 98SE (Second edition)? SE is best and will
work fine with broadband.
Also, you can keep your dial-up modem and use it for "emergencies" if you so
wish.
There is no point in staying on dial-up, as once you go onto broadband, you
can use the phone and the internet simultaneously, for probably less money
than you're paying now.

George

Old August 31st 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

This would be a good place to start

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/howitworks/

Peter Crosland

Old August 31st 09, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 31-Aug-2009, "George Weston" wrote:

Also, you can keep your dial-up modem and use it for "emergencies" if you
so
wish.

Make sure it can't do a silent call-out if a dialler gets planted on your
PC, some people who didn't disconnect their dialup modem have
got a nasty shock in the form of a very large bill.
Old September 1st 09, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

On 31-Aug-2009, "George Weston" wrote:

Also, you can keep your dial-up modem and use it for "emergencies" if you
so
wish.

Make sure it can't do a silent call-out if a dialler gets planted on your
PC, some people who didn't disconnect their dialup modem have
got a nasty shock in the form of a very large bill.

Good point!
Now I remember why I disconnected my dial-up modem when I went onto
broadband all those years ago....

George

Old September 1st 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:09:17 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

[...]

A lot do though. They are usually full of adverts and demos and
various other crapware which screws up your PC. NEVER INSTALL ANY ISP
SOFTWARE! I've often been asked to sort out problems caused by this.

Even when they supply a USB modem, I strongly advocate just using
the disk to install the modem driver and nothing else.

I would not advise using a USB modem. A proper router is not
expensive and provides much better security.

With your router set-up all you might need to check is the network
interface on your PC is set to pick up its address etc automatically
(called DHCP) 9 times out of 10 this is the case so don't worry.

I take it your Windows 98 machine doesn't have a network interface?

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Old September 2nd 09, 03:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:52:00, Mark wrote:

NEVER INSTALL ANY ISP SOFTWARE!

About the only SHOUT I've seen in the last year that I agree with!

I believe last year's was similar in content!

--
Jim Crowther