3 Skypephone S2: A question

Old September 2nd 09, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

Default 3 Skypephone S2: A question

Could someone with an S2 please tell me if the keypad is capable of
sending inband DTMF when a call using the Skype client is in progress?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 3rd 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Brian

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Could someone with an S2 please tell me if the keypad is capable of
sending inband DTMF when a call using the Skype client is in progress?

I wish! Last time I tried it it didn't from my N95 8GB. I think '3' block
DTMF on Skype. :-(
Nice if I was wrong here but afaik that is th ecase.
Old September 3rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

"brian" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Could someone with an S2 please tell me if the keypad is capable of
sending inband DTMF when a call using the Skype client is in progress?

I wish! Last time I tried it it didn't from my N95 8GB. I think '3' block
DTMF on Skype. :-(
Nice if I was wrong here but afaik that is th ecase.

I kind of expected the keypad to be blocked, after all, the
Windows Skype client won't send DTMF during a Skype-Skype call,
but an acoustically-coupled keypad works a treat :-)

I am just hoping that the same technique will work on the S2.

I wouldn't normally give Skype houseroom, but the idea of
free access to a SkypeSIP gateway from a mobile...

If DTMF really is blocked by devious DSP notch filters or whatever,
that won't stop me routing calls to a single pre-determined destination.
Thinks If it's easy to change the 3 phone's Skype ID I can use that
to determine the route.

If anyone's intrested I'm using SIPtoSIS SIP to Skype bridge running
on a Windows box to forward via an Orbtalk trunk registered on
pbxes.com

All in aid of my son's immanent academic sojourn.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 3rd 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
alexd

Graham. wrote:

If anyone's intrested I'm using SIPtoSIS SIP to Skype bridge running
on a Windows box to forward via an Orbtalk trunk registered on
pbxes.com

You could install a CGI script on there so that what number is controllable
via http://some.where/cgi-bin/number.pl?number=012345678, easily entered via
a standard web form. That's if you don't find a more sensible way of doing
first, of course.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:00:38 up 6 days, 12 min, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.26, 0.27

Old September 4th 09, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

Graham. wrote:
"brian" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

If anyone's intrested I'm using SIPtoSIS SIP to Skype bridge running
on a Windows box to forward via an Orbtalk trunk registered on
pbxes.com

You're doing what???

That just seems so complicated I just couldn't be bothered. Plus, no-one
else in the house here is even slightly tech-savvy so I have to think "If I
get run over by a bus today, can my missus make phone calls?" It has to be
plain and simple in our house )

Old September 5th 09, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
Graham. wrote:
"brian" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

If anyone's intrested I'm using SIPtoSIS SIP to Skype bridge running
on a Windows box to forward via an Orbtalk trunk registered on
pbxes.com

You're doing what???

That just seems so complicated I just couldn't be bothered. Plus, no-one
else in the house here is even slightly tech-savvy so I have to think "If
I get run over by a bus today, can my missus make phone calls?" It has to
be plain and simple in our house )

It's messing around with VOIP init

Steve Terry

Old September 5th 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
Graham. wrote:
"brian" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

If anyone's intrested I'm using SIPtoSIS SIP to Skype bridge running
on a Windows box to forward via an Orbtalk trunk registered on
pbxes.com

You're doing what???

That just seems so complicated I just couldn't be bothered. Plus, no-one
else in the house here is even slightly tech-savvy so I have to think "If
I get run over by a bus today, can my missus make phone calls?" It has to
be plain and simple in our house )

Effectively what I will have is Skype Out on a mobile with no credit.
Much cheaper than Skype Out though, the gateway will use smslisto.
A call to a UK mobile will cost 5ppm compared with 15ppm on Skype Out.
(At that rate you may as well just make the call on 3 PAYG, why do
people equate Skype Out = Cheap)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 5th 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

Default Update: I've got the phone

"brian" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 23:26:17 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Could someone with an S2 please tell me if the keypad is capable of
sending inband DTMF when a call using the Skype client is in progress?

I wish! Last time I tried it it didn't from my N95 8GB. I think '3' block
DTMF on Skype. :-(
Nice if I was wrong here but afaik that is th ecase.

OK I have the S2 now.

I'm pleased to report that you are wrong ;-)
The price is 49.99 but that includes a 10 topup voucher

The keypad does send tones during Skype calls although the behaviour is
a bit odd, see later.

For some reason I got it into my head that incoming Skype calls weren't
possible, I got a pleasant surprise to find they were.

It appears that Skype Out is possible if the account you are logged into
has credit, but only for international numbers, ie non UK. No point in
my case, I will use my gateway.

I had read that the Skype application required downloading before you
could use it, which presumably would require some 3 credit to be applied,
but no, the application is ready to go

Yes the SIPtoSIS gateway works fine, I have spent most of the afternoon
using it to call various landline and mobile calls not to mention a couple
of
computer based Skype accounts.

All this on a phone with no credit ) I'll not be buying shares in
Hutchinson
any time soon.

DTMF_during_Skype_calls.
Something odd about this. If you press a key any more than momentarily
it repeats the digit ie. sends the tone multiple times, not a very useful
feature.

But it gets worse. If you *are* carful and only touch the keys momentarily
it still apt to repeat the last key you press if you pause slightly. The
number
of repeats you get is pretty random.
This is all very reminiscent of a Z80 routine I wrote 20 odd years ago,
I think the software is not de-bouncing the keypad adequately.

What I have discovered is if you can dial the first 2 or 3 digits of a
string quickly, you create a buffer or window that allows you to pause
slightly later in the string without any repeats. Now I have the knack
I can do this pretty much consistently.
Incidentally this isn't an issue with incoming Skype calls, the keypad
behaves impeccably

Oh well I suppose I better apply this credit before I lose the voutcher
or it expires or something but what I...
I mean my son will use it for I don't know. I suppose there is texting
and the Interweb thingy.

BTW did I mention the phone was my son's?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 5th 09, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham

Can I issue a retraction to my last post please :-)

There is no key-bounce issue!

It was occuring because I was testing it by making calls to the Skype client
on
my laptop and and I was sat in the same room and an acoustic feedback
effect was going on. It didn't sound like feedback because I think the 3
phone
was regenerating the DTMF and each tone sounded pristine.

So just to reiterate there are an unwanted repeats if you keep the key
pressed
longer than about 10 ms this occurs on i/c and o/g Skype calls. No other
issue.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 5th 09, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

"Graham" wrote in message
Can I issue a retraction to my last post please :-)

There is no key-bounce issue!

It was occuring because I was testing it by making calls to the Skype
client on
my laptop and and I was sat in the same room and an acoustic feedback
effect was going on. It didn't sound like feedback because I think the 3
phone
was regenerating the DTMF and each tone sounded pristine.

So just to reiterate there are an unwanted repeats if you keep the key
pressed
longer than about 10 ms this occurs on i/c and o/g Skype calls. No other
issue.

I meant 100ms sorry.

--
Graham.