VoIP/Router Question

Old September 5th 09, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Default VoIP/Router Question

Hi,

I have been using VoIP for some time. My last Router/ATA was giving
troubles so I have changed to a Thomson Speedtouch 716W.

It is working perfectly except for one little anomaly. Instead of a
dialling tone I am getting NU (a high pitched continuous tone). Both the
phones running off the router are the same and both gave a normal
dialling tone before. Using a softphone, I can hear a perfect dialling
tone so it is not the signal from my ISP.

I tried ringing Thomson but they wanted to insist that both my phones
have gone defective at the same time and that I cannot change the tone
through the router. I certainly cannot find how to do it in the user
guide, though.

Does anyone know of a way to correct this situation or do I just have to
learn to live with this tone, please?

--
Howard Neil
Old September 5th 09, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

[...]

That is the dial tone.

The dial-tone is generated by the ATA, and the ATA is made
for international markets. The dial tone which we Brits are accustomed
to is different to most of Europe, and not quite the same as used in the
USA.

I don't know your device unfortunately. Does it have a Web interface?
If so look for a page called something like regional settings where you
may find parameters to set the various tones

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 6th 09, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the idea, Graham. I know that the ATA it replaced had
settings to change the tone but had not connected this with national
standards. Yes, it does have a web interface. I will try looking for
regional settings and report back.

--
Howard Neil
Old September 6th 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

Graham. wrote:
[...]

No success, I'm afraid. I cannot find any setting for region. In fact,
when starting the set up (I tried running through it in case there was
something there that I had missed) I noticed the words "World Region".
This may mean that I am stuck with this dial tone unless someone knows
different.

--
Howard Neil
Old September 6th 09, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
o.uk...

Howard Neil wrote:

Graham. wrote:
[...]

There is reply to you post in uk.telecom.broadband

"Telnet to the router and use the CLI to change it. I think the commands
are

:voice country config country=uk
:voice config countrycode=44
saveall

Regards
--
Invalid"

Old September 6th 09, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Sounds good but first I need to find out how to telnet.

--
Howard Neil
Old September 6th 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Giskard Reventlov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3456041

Old September 6th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Thank you. Sounds good but first I need to find out how to telnet.

--
Howard Neil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3456041

Thanks. I will give it a go.

--
Howard Neil
Old September 6th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Thank you. Sounds good but first I need to find out how to telnet.

--
Howard Neil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3456041

Thanks. I will give it a go.

I've tried with a program called Jana. Seems simple enough but, when I
connect to the router, all I get is the same page that I get with my
browser.

--
Howard Neil
Old September 6th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Howard Neil

Howard Neil wrote:

Howard Neil wrote:

R. Giskard Reventlov wrote:

Thank you. Sounds good but first I need to find out how to telnet.

--
Howard Neil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3456041

Thanks. I will give it a go.

I've tried with a program called Jana. Seems simple enough but, when I
connect to the router, all I get is the same page that I get with my
browser.

Ok, all solved now. It seems I can telnet from a command window. A user
in uk.telecom.broadband gave me the commands to use and it worked
perfectly. My VoIP phone now has a normal (for the UK) dial tone. Thank
you very much, everyone, for your help.

--
Howard Neil