Vista PC has intermittent problem getting IP address from Netgear router

Old September 6th 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Vista PC has intermittent problem getting IP address from Netgear router

I've replaced my dad's old Solwise router (which has now failed) with a
Netgear DG834GT one. He has several PCs connected by Ethernet, plus a
standalone wireless access point (the Solwise did not have wireless) and a
4-port switch to provide more Ethernet points than the four on the router.
All the PCs except one are XP Home.

Since I replaced the router, his Vista Home Premium PC has had great
difficulty getting an IP address. It makes no difference whether the
Ethernet cable is plugged into the router or the switch. The PC almost
always gets a 169.x.x.x address and has a status of "Local only". Neither
rebooting the PC nor unplugging and replugging the Ethernet cable nor doing
ipconfig /release and /renew makes any difference. Just occasionally, the PC
is given a sensible IP address and works perfectly - until the PC is
rebooted. The same Ethernet cable, in the same router/switch socket, works
perfectly with an XP PC, so it's not a dodgy cable or port.

All the XP PCs work fine, both when connected by Ethernet or (for the
laptops) when connected by wireless, either to the access point's wireless
network or the router's wireless network.

I've tried giving the Vista PC a static IP address in the correct subnet,
and setting the DNS and gateway address to the router's address (ie doing
exactly what DHCP would do) but this does not allow the PC to ping the
router, other PCs or external addresses.

Has anyone seen any compatibility problems between Netgear routers and Vista
PCs? My own Vista laptop and desktop PC work perfectly to my own DG834GT
router.

Could it be a dodgy Ethernet adaptor on the PC's motherboard?

Old September 6th 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Mortimer
says...

Has anyone seen any compatibility problems between Netgear routers and Vista
PCs? My own Vista laptop and desktop PC work perfectly to my own DG834GT
router.

Could it be a dodgy Ethernet adaptor on the PC's motherboard?

Make sure the router is running the latest firmware and also disable
IPV6 and the thingy that does the location awareness whose name I forget
at the moment but they're found in the properties for the network
connection.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk