Run multiple Cat5 cables in single trunking?

Old September 16th 09, 04:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Default Run multiple Cat5 cables in single trunking?

Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Old September 16th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Geoff Mills
writes
Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes, get on with it. You might want to keep it a bit separate from any
mains cabling though.
--
Clint Sharp
Old September 17th 09, 01:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes. Data centers do this with dozens of CAT5 cables running down the
same trunk run.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old September 17th 09, 06:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 01:07:39 +0100, Conor wrote:

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes. Data centers do this with dozens of CAT5 cables running down the
same trunk run.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guessed it was ok but thought I'd check
with the experts.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Old September 17th 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Geoff Mills wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 01:07:39 +0100, Conor wrote:

In article , Geoff Mills
says...
Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes. Data centers do this with dozens of CAT5 cables running down the
same trunk run.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guessed it was ok but thought I'd check
with the experts.

Just keep the mains out of the same trunking that carries the cat5. I've
an idea that's an electrical safety regulation thing, but not a bad
thing anyway.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old September 17th 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Conor wrote:
In article , Geoff Mills
says...
Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes. Data centers do this with dozens of CAT5 cables running down the
same trunk run.

The difference is that one of the OPs cables carries ADSL signal, which
may well be considerably more susceptible to interference than Ethernet
signals (but I have no idea if this is the case or if it would be a
problem).

Alex
Old September 17th 09, 06:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:58:41 +0100
Alex Fraser wrote:

The difference is that one of the OPs cables carries ADSL signal,
which may well be considerably more susceptible to interference than
Ethernet signals (but I have no idea if this is the case or if it
would be a problem).

That's why I hesitated to reply to the OP.

Old September 17th 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston

In article ,
"Conor" wrote:

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

Hi, I have a master socket ADSL faceplate splitter in my garage from
where I run a cat5 cable to the router in the middle of the house,
then radiate to LAN workstations from there.

Now I want to put a server in the garage. Can I run the Cat5 cable to
this server back in the same trunking that carries the primary ADSL to
the centre of the house from the garage?

Yes. Data centers do this with dozens of CAT5 cables running down the
same trunk run.

I agree that multiple cat-5 Ethernet cables aren't a problem, with it
being done every day with structured cabling systems. However, I have a
small concern about running the ADSL-carrying cable in the same run,
with it being a low-level RF signal. The CAT5 Ethernet cables are less
of a problem, being baseband, high level signals, but they may cause a
problem for the ADSL signal. It needs testing. especially if it's
ordinary slack-twisted phone cable. At least, try to maintain some
separation.

Better, can you mount the router at the BT socket end in the garage and
run a Cat5 cable to an Ethernet switch in the current router's location?
That way, the ADSL signal is only adjacent to the source. You can also
look at power over Ethernet, if local powering is a problem.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old September 18th 09, 09:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , John
Weston writes
I agree that multiple cat-5 Ethernet cables aren't a problem, with it
being done every day with structured cabling systems. However, I have a
small concern about running the ADSL-carrying cable in the same run,
with it being a low-level RF signal. The CAT5 Ethernet cables are less
of a problem, being baseband, high level signals, but they may cause a
problem for the ADSL signal.

It will work. I've done it.

Tested at master socket and at the end of the 'extension' (run over
50-60mtrs of cable and bundled into trunking with 35 other CAT5e cables,
initially running 100MBps, now running Gigabit.) with no reported
difference in sync speeds or, indeed, SNR/Attenuation (although there
must have been a little otherwise I'd be patenting the method).

The frequencies are so far apart that even if there was any significant
cross-talk it wouldn't be a problem. I'd be more concerned about
interference if I were running the cable alongside mains cabling (unless
you have a rodent problem then safety should be fine).

It needs testing.

Test away, unless you make a complete balls of it, it will work.

especially if it's
ordinary slack-twisted phone cable. At least, try to maintain some
separation.

Use a spare pair in the CAT5 or run an extra cable (always good to run a
couple of spares anyway).

Better, can you mount the router at the BT socket end in the garage and
run a Cat5 cable to an Ethernet switch in the current router's location?
That way, the ADSL signal is only adjacent to the source.

Better idea IMHO.
You can also
look at power over Ethernet, if local powering is a problem

Umm, he was going to run a server in the garage too? I'm only guessing
but I would think that suggests that there may be power available...

--
Clint Sharp
Old September 18th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , John
Weston writes
[...]

You mention frequencies - I've always wondered what the (carrier?)
frequency for ADSL was. I presume the Microfilter is a high/low pass
frequency filter?

Phil, London