Using multiple VOIP providers?

Old September 16th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lobster

Default Using multiple VOIP providers?

Daughter is shortly off to uni for the first time and will be living in
a uni flat wired with internet.

The Uni is plugging the use of internet telephony, and is advising the
use of their preferred system, 'Freewire'. Looking at its website at
http://www.freewiretv.com/phonefaqs.html#1 as far as I can tell this
looks pants, as for me to ring her from my landline, I'll need to dial
an 0844 number (ie so-called 'lo-call'!! rates) and then enter her ID
number. Anyone know anything about this system?

I personally use a sipgate system (sometimes) which gives me an ordinary
geographic number for incoming calls, so I'd rather set her up with
that, especially as my ordinary landline gives me free calls to
geographic numbers. However, I'm guessing that if the uni is plugging
this freewire thing, most other campus users will be on that, so to
obtain free calls to them she'll need to stick with that system.

And now she tells me that all her mates from school are using 'Skype',
so that's a third bloody system which she'll need to keep in contact
with them!

Is it possible to have multiple voip providers all running at once, or
will they conflict horribly or something? Don't know much about voip,
TBH - any thoughts very welcome...

David

Old September 16th 09, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
[...]

You certianly can have multiple providers - however it may be that the
uny has blocked/firewalled other "competing" VoIP providers - and they
may well be able to block Skype too. Just set her up with sipgate and
see if it's workis...

Gordon
Old September 16th 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel

Hi ,

You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

Web Cam view of garden
http://austriasnow.camstreams.com/

Nigels Music:-
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/index.p...tails&uid=1535

Old September 16th 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

churchhill
Oh yes!
/churchhill
My son is going on his first academic sojourn next week, so campus
communication has been given much thought.
This is what we have done, I am very pleased with the result!
First bought him a going away present, a '3 Skypephone S2'.
49.99 including a 10 topup which she won't actually need
at least not for voice calling, she can use it to browse the interweb

Now Skype is much derided in this group, and I include myself
amongst those say its not "proper" VoIP like SIP etc.
but for this application.

What I have done is set up a Skype-SIP gateway called SIPtoSIS. which is
currently
running on a Windows computer here in the office at home (which
tends to be on 24/7. It can remain like that, but ideally it will
run on his own PC in his room in the Halls, port blocking permitting.

This is what happens.
If he wants to make a call to a mobile or landline he calls the Skype
Gateway which effectively forwards the call as a SIP call to a free
hosted Asterisk service called pbxes.org. This gives him a BT style
dial-tone, he simply dials the number he wants, the outbound call
goes through smslisto.com, (my SIP provider of choice at the moment)
0800,0500,0808 go via a Sipgate account 'cos the aren't free on smslisto

In addition I have set some single digit extensions in pbxes with call
forwarding
to commonly used numbers that act as speed-dials. So "1" calls my mobile
"2" dials SWMBO's, etc.

So the net result is he carries a phone with no credit and he can call
landlines un the UK and many places abroad for about 1 p/m
and UK mobiles for about 5 p/m

And the best part is his Dad pays the bill...

The SIPtoSIS gateway is bi-directional and it is possible for a Sipgate
geographic number to call the Skypephone but I have decided not
to peruse this because if there is a call in the other direction in progress
it gets cut off.

The whole thing sounds a bit complex, but really it isn't. I have been
considering putting a step-by-step guide on a webpage, would you
be interested?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 16th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Graham. explained :
The whole thing sounds a bit complex, but really it isn't. I have been
considering putting a step-by-step guide on a webpage, would you
be interested?

Yep.

Old September 16th 09, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article , Nigel wrote:
Hi ,

You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
number as:

020 7983 9388

Gordon
(aka pedantic phone nerd)
Old September 16th 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson formulated on Wednesday :
In article , Nigel wrote:
Hi ,

You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
number as:

020 7983 9388

Gordon
(aka pedantic phone nerd)

Much easier to always use the following format for every number:

02079839388....afterall, you don't dial spaces!

grin

Old September 16th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article , Nigel wrote:
Hi ,

You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
number as:

020 7983 9388

Gordon
(aka pedantic phone nerd)

Much easier to always use the following format for every number:

02079839388....afterall, you don't dial spaces!

You don't dial the 020 at the start if you live in London. :-)

--
Chris Green

Old September 17th 09, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jono formulated on Wednesday :
You don't dial the 020 at the start if you live in London. :-)

I bet there's a few that do as that'll be the only way they can get through
as dropping 020 8 or 020 7 has stopped working.

When I say "stopped working" I didn't mean that it ever has worked..