voipfone quality

Old September 25th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
kkm

Default voipfone quality

I am a bit concerned about the call quality I am finding with voipfone.

I am using the XLite softphone (downloaded about 18 months ago) running
under Windows XP and connected to voipfone via my Virgin Media cable
account for incoming calls. My VM connection is 9.6 Mbps download and
0.5 Mbps as tested on speedtest.net

For outgoing calls I use Skype (stop heckling at the back there, it
works for me) on the same PC and internet connection. I use a logitech
wireless headset with both.

With voipfone, the calls seem to break up quite badly and it is
difficult to hear the incoming caller, and they seem to have the same
problem hearing me. With Skype the call quality is as good as, if not
better than, a fixed landline.

Any suggestions how to improve the quality of incoming calls. I don't
want to leave voipfone as I ported my one time BT number to them which I
wish to keep.

--
Kevin

Old September 25th 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"kkm" wrote in message

[...]

Have you tried contacting Voipfone about your this? When I was using them, I
always found them very quick to respond to any queries, and keen to try and
sort out any problems..

Old September 25th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:59:16 GMT, kkm wrote:

[...]

Download WinMTR.exe and post your results here when tested to
sip.voipfone.co.uk
Old September 25th 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:59:16 GMT, kkm wrote:

For outgoing calls I use Skype (stop heckling at the back there, it
works for me) on the same PC and internet connection. I use a logitech
wireless headset with both.

Not keen on using head sets but got to agree Skype is good and very
much better than on voip provider I could mention in fact I gave up on
voip many months ago until I happened to buy a 3G payg mobile earlier
on in the year with Skype on it and found Skype acceptable .
With Skype the call quality is as good as, if not
better than, a fixed landline.

Having used Skype on the mobile for a few weeks and found Skype call
quality has you say just as good if not better than a fixed line so
have now bought a "TECO" skype desk phone from Solwise and out will go
the BT line at the end of the year when the contract ends .
Nothing at all wrong with BT but it is no use paying BT 16.00 a
month when I can pay Skype around a fiver a month for the same
call quality .