WiFi Skype phone recommendation

Old October 2nd 09, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Reay

Default WiFi Skype phone recommendation

I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

--
Brian

Old October 2nd 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

If you are keen to embark on a small VoIP project , there are ways you
can extend this to call landlines and mobiles at VoIP rates, I have put
some notes here www.skypegateway.webs.com

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 2nd 09, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Reay

"Graham." wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but, otherwise, a
good idea.

I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get Gizmo
to work.

--
Brian

Old October 2nd 09, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:50:13 +0100, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
line once the contact comes to an end in January .
Old October 3rd 09, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
line once the contact comes to an end in January .

Ouch! 40.25 per year for the number and
14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 3rd 09, 05:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Terry

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
Brian

Try echolink instead

Steve Terry

Old October 3rd 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
Brian

Try echolink instead

Kewarzed?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 3rd 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 00:32:23 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
line once the contact comes to an end in January .

Ouch! 40.25 per year for the number and
14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

I am sorry Graham but what is 40 a year in this age of high prices
many people will spend more than that in pubs and clubs over this
weekend and every other weekend.
Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

If I have need to call a mobile I use the free minutes on the mobile I
refuse and have refused for many years now to call any numbers other
than geographical numbers via land line.Saynoto0870.com must have
saved me pounds over the last few years.
Sipgate no thanks but I do have a Betamax account voipcheap.com had it
for quite a few years now.

Old October 6th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 19:10:21 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't be
limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but,
otherwise, a good idea.

I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get
Gizmo to work.

Perhaps you could try some different settings in order to get Gizmo, or
another SIP provider, working on your phone. I posted some setting for
the N95 that might be useful for you.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...ip-on-nokia-n-
series.html

Old October 6th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 05:35:50 +0100, Steve Terry wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please? Brian

Try echolink instead

Steve Terry

Hmmm interesting Terry, I didn't know about this. I've been off the air
for years now and got rid of most of my gear, but this sounds interesting
except that it operates on Windows and I don't have that. Pity we still
aren't allowed to speak to non-licenced people too.