A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

VNC and port forwarding



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 12th 09, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JTM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default VNC and port forwarding

I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
and other work. So I'm trying to set up VNC

My wife's (xp) wireless netbook has the IP 192.168.1.x (set using DHCP from
the D-Link router)

I've enabled port forwarding on the router for:
'private IP' 192.168.1.20 (the first number),
'all protocols',
'start port 5900',
'end port 5900' (+ the same off-set for each port) and using
'connection PVC0'

This seems to work all right. Is that it? or am I leaving something
vulnerable to attacks?

I wasn't sure what options might go in the 'protocols' setting

TIA

John

--
John Mulrooney
NOTE Email address IS correct but might not be checked for a while.

About 95% of quoted statistics are probably made up
  #2  
Old October 12th 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default VNC and port forwarding

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:10:22 +0100, JTM wrote:

I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
and other work. So I'm trying to set up VNC

My wife's (xp) wireless netbook has the IP 192.168.1.x (set using DHCP from
the D-Link router)

I've enabled port forwarding on the router for:
'private IP' 192.168.1.20 (the first number),
'all protocols',
'start port 5900',
'end port 5900' (+ the same off-set for each port) and using
'connection PVC0'

This seems to work all right. Is that it? or am I leaving something
vulnerable to attacks?


If you are using password authentication then that should be as safe as the
strength of the chosen password.

I would nail down the IP address of the netbook by setting it to be fixed
and not rely on it getting the same address each time from DHCP.

Is your home Internet on a fixed IP address or are you using DynDNS etc?

Tony
  #3  
Old October 12th 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 553
Default VNC and port forwarding

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:10:22 +0100, JTM wrote:
I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
and other work. So I'm trying to set up VNC

My wife's (xp) wireless netbook has the IP 192.168.1.x (set using DHCP from
the D-Link router)

I've enabled port forwarding on the router [...]


I would nail down the IP address of the netbook by setting it to be fixed
and not rely on it getting the same address each time from DHCP.


I agree the address should be nailed down, but if possible I would
recommend doing this in the router rather than on the computer. The
feature is called "Address Reservation" on my Netgear, not sure what any
others call it but many/most have the capability.

This makes life simpler if the computer may be used on multiple networks
(as is likely for a netbook) or if there are many computers (because all
allocation is managed in one place).

Alex
  #4  
Old October 12th 09, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 202
Default VNC and port forwarding

In message , JTM writes

This seems to work all right. Is that it? or am I leaving something
vulnerable to attacks?


VNC has a poor reputation for security. One reason is that it sends
passwords as clear text. That may not be an issue if all you keep on the
machine is your own personal data. If you keep any of your employer's
data on the machine you should get their permission and advice.

The usual advice for making VNC more secure is to use SSH tunnelling
using stunnel or similar. The VNC server should then be locked so that
only local users (including those using tunnels) can connect.



--
Bernard Peek
  #5  
Old October 12th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JTM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default VNC and port forwarding

In article ,
Bernard Peek wrote:
In message , JTM writes


This seems to work all right. Is that it? or am I leaving something
vulnerable to attacks?


VNC has a poor reputation for security. One reason is that it sends
passwords as clear text. That may not be an issue if all you keep on the
machine is your own personal data. If you keep any of your employer's
data on the machine you should get their permission and advice.


The usual advice for making VNC more secure is to use SSH tunnelling
using stunnel or similar. The VNC server should then be locked so that
only local users (including those using tunnels) can connect.


Thanks to A R Gold, Alex Fraser and yourself for the replies.

The home address is not fixed, so I'll need grandson or someone to
switch on and tell me what it is. (whatismyip.com?)

I'll have to read up on SSH tunnelling and address Reservation.

So far though, this VNC seems easier than my attemps to set up home
networks for XP, Vista, RISC OS and Mandriva / Kubuntu. Only partially
managed that over the last few years while I seem to have VNC working
within a week!

Tomorrow I get to see if it works from France as well as it has from a
couple of miles away.

Thanks again

John

--
John Mulrooney
NOTE Email address IS correct but might not be checked for a while.

The grave's a fine and private place, but none I think do there embrace
  #6  
Old October 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default VNC and port forwarding

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:09:20 +0100, JTM wrote:

The home address is not fixed, so I'll need grandson or someone to
switch on and tell me what it is. (whatismyip.com?)

I'll have to read up on SSH tunnelling and address Reservation.


http://www.dyndns.com/ is free will allow you to address the home by some
chosen hostname (eg: ) regardless of its changing IP
address, which should be far simpler.

Tomorrow I get to see if it works from France as well as it has from a
couple of miles away.


If you need help either opening the free account or installing the DynDNS
client software then ask again.

Tony
  #7  
Old October 12th 09, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 361
Default VNC and port forwarding

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:46:58 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:09:20 +0100, JTM wrote:

The home address is not fixed, so I'll need grandson or someone to
switch on and tell me what it is. (whatismyip.com?)

I'll have to read up on SSH tunnelling and address Reservation.


http://www.dyndns.com/ is free will allow you to address the home by some
chosen hostname (eg: ) regardless of its changing IP
address, which should be far simpler.


Sorry, that should of course be jtmhome.dyndns.org and not wot i rote b4.

Tony
  #8  
Old October 13th 09, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default VNC and port forwarding

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:46:58 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:09:20 +0100, JTM wrote:

The home address is not fixed, so I'll need grandson or someone to
switch on and tell me what it is. (whatismyip.com?)

I'll have to read up on SSH tunnelling and address Reservation.

http://www.dyndns.com/ is free will allow you to address the home by some
chosen hostname (eg: ) regardless of its changing IP
address, which should be far simpler.


Sorry, that should of course be jtmhome.dyndns.org and not wot i rote b4.

Tony

I'm using the free

https://www.no-ip.com

has worked flawlessly for a year on my father's pc.

A good way of getting/checking the IP address of the remote PC is to get
them to send you an email and look at the first received from in the
headers/source - dynamic IP address dont change that often if you leave
the router switched on.

  #9  
Old October 14th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 236
Default VNC and port forwarding

JTM wrote:
I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
and other work. So I'm trying to set up VNC


Worth paying the small fee and getting the Personal Edition as this
allows an encrypted connection.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html

I've used it very effectively.

Geoff Lane
  #10  
Old October 17th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JTM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default VNC and port forwarding

In article ,
JTM wrote:

Tomorrow I get to see if it works from France as well as it has from a
couple of miles away.


Well I've been in France for a few days and today needed to try to print
some documents at home in Lancs. Daughter switched wife's netbook on and
grandson looked after the printer in the attic. VNC (ultraVNC actually
'cos realvnc won't work with Vista) did the job and I'm a happy chappy.

Thanks again folks.

John

--
John Mulrooney
NOTE Email address IS correct but might not be checked for a while.

Health is not valued until sickness comes
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netgear 834 port forwarding to different internal port? Ric uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 9 December 7th 08 09:21 PM
NTL port forwarding Alex uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 7 October 31st 06 02:10 AM
Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router Graham Russell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 14 October 24th 03 10:16 PM
Port forwarding on Conexant 4 port adsl router Graham Russell uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 October 17th 03 12:09 PM
port forwarding James uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 August 29th 03 11:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.