How can I connect with WiFi to a computer with ethernet only?

Old October 17th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Default How can I connect with WiFi to a computer with ethernet only?

In my house I have an ADSL modem with WiFi. I can connect my laptop to that ok,
with no problems.

I have a small rackmount server that I'd like to stick in my garage, as it is
noisy. The problem is I don't know what I need on the server to connect it to my
ADSL modem. The only usable connection on this machine will be via ethernet.
Forget about USB, as no wireless cards will have drivers for Sun's Solaris. In
any case, I'm not even sure if it has USB on it. (not near me to check).

Security is not an issue - any communication between me and the server will be
via encrypted SSH. Using a power line device is out of the question, as my house
has a 3-phase supply, and the garage is on a different phase to the house.

I do not believe a wireless access point will solve this, but am I mistaken? I
have one of those sitting around, which I used when my old modem did not have
WiFi. But now it is redundant.

Is it an Ethernet bridge, or similar I need?

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,
Old October 17th 09, 11:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Dave wrote:
In my house I have an ADSL modem with WiFi. I can connect my laptop to
that ok, with no problems.

I have a small rackmount server that I'd like to stick in my garage, as

I should have said, there is a second machine I want to put in the garage too.
That is a Unix workstation running HP-UX as the operating system. Can I link
these two machine via a switch, then connect that switch to a wiress device so I
can connect to the ADSL modem?

Looking on the web, it seems a Wireless Ethernet Bridge may be what I need. Do I
need two of these, or will the fact my ADSL modem has WiFi mean I only need one?

Old October 18th 09, 12:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:30:51 +0100
Dave wrote:

Dave wrote:
In my house I have an ADSL modem with WiFi. I can connect my laptop
to that ok, with no problems.

I have a small rackmount server that I'd like to stick in my
garage, as

I should have said, there is a second machine I want to put in the
garage too. That is a Unix workstation running HP-UX as the operating
system. Can I link these two machine via a switch, then connect that
switch to a wiress device so I can connect to the ADSL modem?

Looking on the web, it seems a Wireless Ethernet Bridge may be what I
need.

You answered your own question. :-)

Do I need two of these, or will the fact my ADSL modem has WiFi
mean I only need one?

Just the one, with a switch to connect multiple hosts.

Old October 18th 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston

In article , "Dave" wrote:

Dave wrote:
In my house I have an ADSL modem with WiFi. I can connect my laptop to
that ok, with no problems.

I have a small rackmount server that I'd like to stick in my garage, as

I should have said, there is a second machine I want to put in the garage too.
That is a Unix workstation running HP-UX as the operating system. Can I link
these two machine via a switch, then connect that switch to a wiress device so I
can connect to the ADSL modem?

Looking on the web, it seems a Wireless Ethernet Bridge may be what I need. Do I
need two of these, or will the fact my ADSL modem has WiFi mean I only need one?

Why not do the job correctly and use wired Ethernet with GB switches?
That way, you can install GB Ethernet for your LAN that will be immune
from most interference that may be present in your garage or from
neighbour's wireless systems. A similar set-up works well here. (Server,
2-3 computers, wired router for the WAN and an old router as wireless
access point when needed)

I've found Wireless to be less than acceptable when going through some
types of exterior (and some interior) wall construction. Furnace ash
breeze blocks or aluminium foil are excellent for blocking transmission
of 2.5 or 5Gbps wireless signals...

--
John W
I you want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old October 18th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Dave wrote:

Dave wrote:
In my house I have an ADSL modem with WiFi. I can connect my laptop
to that ok, with no problems.

I have a small rackmount server that I'd like to stick in my
garage, as

I should have said, there is a second machine I want to put in the
garage too. That is a Unix workstation running HP-UX as the operating
system. Can I link these two machine via a switch, then connect that
switch to a wiress device so I can connect to the ADSL modem?

Looking on the web, it seems a Wireless Ethernet Bridge may be what I
need.

You answered your own question. :-)

Do I need two of these, or will the fact my ADSL modem has WiFi
mean I only need one?

Just the one, with a switch to connect multiple hosts.

Be aware that many wireless access points can be configured to act as a
bridge, and most incorporate a switch. Worth checking the documentation
for the one you have already.

A quick Google suggests there may be solaris drivers available for some
cards. It's decades since I worked on Solaris so I'm not in a good
position to judge how useful these might be though!

A cable is always faster and more reliable...

Phil, London
Old October 18th 09, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

John Weston wrote:
In article , "Dave" wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

I do actually have Ethernet going into the garage, but not in the part I need
it. I've a pretty large garage, consisting of places for two cars, then there
are two rooms at the end. The freezer sits in one, the washing machine and sink
in another. Part of the reason for mounting one of the computers in the garage
is to raise the temperature a bit, so pipes do not freeze. I really would be
difficult to get a cable into the room where the pipes are.

Not only that, but I think my wife would object to me running more cables down
the walls.

I've found Wireless to be less than acceptable when going through some
types of exterior (and some interior) wall construction. Furnace ash
breeze blocks or aluminium foil are excellent for blocking transmission
of 2.5 or 5Gbps wireless signals...

I will try my laptop in the exact location first. I must admit, I'd not given
that problem too much thought. I know the laptop works fine the same distance as
the garage, but I've not really tried it inside.

Ultimately, the main use of this will be for others to access the machines via
my ADSL link. As such, the speed of the ADSL is likely to be the limiting
factor, and not the WiFi.

Being in a rural area, interference is not likely to be much of an issue. There
is only one or at the very most two other WiFi networks within range.

Old October 18th 09, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:50:55 +0100, Dave wrote:

I do actually have Ethernet going into the garage, but not in the part I need
it. I've a pretty large garage, consisting of places for two cars, then there
are two rooms at the end. The freezer sits in one, the washing machine and sink
in another. Part of the reason for mounting one of the computers in the garage
is to raise the temperature a bit, so pipes do not freeze. I really would be
difficult to get a cable into the room where the pipes are.

Wouldn't this http://tinyurl.com/yj5e4cy be a lot simpler?

Tony

Old October 19th 09, 07:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Philip Herlihy wrote:
[snip]
Be aware that many wireless access points can be configured to act as a
bridge,

All wireless access points are a bridge, but in the context of wireless
networking the term seems to be used ambiguously.

Most that I have seen have a mode where you enter the MAC address of an
identical device so you have two Ethernet ports at the ends of a
wireless link, which act like the ports on a hypothetical two-port
switch (except slower).

None that I know of can be configured as a wireless client, though these
do exist, and one of these would suit the OP's needs. They may be sold
as "game adapters", because they can be used to avoid needing a network
cable to a games console.

and most incorporate a switch.

Really? Other than one built into a domestic "router", I've never seen
one with multiple Ethernet ports.

[snip]
A cable is always faster and more reliable...

Much.

Alex
Old October 19th 09, 09:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Alex Fraser wrote:
Philip Herlihy wrote:
[snip]
[...]

The USR 5430 is a single-port Gaming Adapter which works well (may not
still be available). The USR 5461 is a wireless access point with a
four-port switch which can be configured in "bridge" mode - I've used
this successfully with a USR 9106 modem/router/WAP. I'v also
successfully configured a Netgear WG602 in pure "client" mode
coincidentally also with the USR 9106, and another WG602 to work with an
Orange (spit) Livebox. The WG02 has four Ethernet ports.

Still prefer a cable!

Phil
Old October 20th 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:50:55 +0100, Dave wrote:

I do actually have Ethernet going into the garage, but not in the part I need
it. I've a pretty large garage, consisting of places for two cars, then there
are two rooms at the end. The freezer sits in one, the washing machine and sink
in another. Part of the reason for mounting one of the computers in the garage
is to raise the temperature a bit, so pipes do not freeze. I really would be
difficult to get a cable into the room where the pipes are.

Wouldn't this http://tinyurl.com/yj5e4cy be a lot simpler?

Tony

I have a wall mounted heater fan heater and so called 'economy 7' storated
heaters in the garage (I use oil for the main heating).

But the point is heating like this is just wasted enerfy. If the computer needs
to be on anyway, I might as well locate it in a place where it's heat output is
useful.

The two computer take around 430 W when idle, and probably 500 W + when doing
CPU intensive things, which they often will do. Hence it makes sense to use the
heat output.

If all I wanted was a heater, I just just switch a computer on and not bother
networking it at all.