Using an ADSL modem and a cable router with Sky broadband - help

Old October 22nd 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

Default Using an ADSL modem and a cable router with Sky broadband - help

Gents,
Refresh my memory if you will. I've a D-link DIR-655 gigabit cable
router, that I'm currently hanging off a Sky-branded Netgear ADSL
router.
I want to get the QoS features of the D-link working, so my torrents
don't annoy the missus, but the D-link only offers this between WAN
and LAN port.
To this end I've got a D-Link DSL-502T I got off ebay for the princely
sum of 2.70 and I want to use this as an ADSL modem, connected to the
WAN port of the gigabit router.

Am I right in thinking all I have to do is:

* set the 502T ADSL modem up, set it in half-bridge mode
* give it my Sky PPPoA username/password (which I can extract from the
sky router with a bit of jiggerypokery)
* connect the 502 to the WAN port of the DIR-655 gigabit router? (i.e.
router doesn't need to know Sky username/password etc etc)

What I'm aiming at is that the 502T just forwards the net connection
to the DIR-655, and all port forwarding etc is configured on the
DIR-655. Is this correct?

Ric
Old October 22nd 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

On 22 Oct, 14:58, Ric wrote:
[...]

EDIT
after thinking about it, I want the modem in bridge mode, and I need
to put the sky adsl username/password in the gigabit router's PPPoE
settings, don't I?

I'm presuming the modem's ADSL settings in bridge mode are the same as
for using an adsl router, i.e.
Encapsulation: PPPoA
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Multiplexing: VC