HomePlug Networking

Old October 28th 09, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
swarfmaker

Default HomePlug Networking

I've had a network running for a couple of years using these HomePlug
devices as well has Cat5 and wireless. Recently the computer in the Garage
was unable to connect to the network. I swopped devices about but have been
unable to get this computer to connect. This week the computer in one of the
bedrooms has shown the same fault. After some more testing it seems that
computers on the same mains ring as the device connect to the router can
connect to the network, but devices on any other ring can't. There has been
no work done on the electrics recently.
Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

TIA

Iain

Old October 28th 09, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Are you running some version of Windows, maybe some update has altered
some settings somewhere.

I've not used homeplugs but to the best of my knowledge the computer
sees it as an ethernet cable connection.

How many have you got, I'm assuming you have tried substituting devices.

Geoff Lane

Old October 28th 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Swarfmaker says...

I've had a network running for a couple of years using these HomePlug
devices as well has Cat5 and wireless. Recently the computer in the Garage
was unable to connect to the network. I swopped devices about but have been
unable to get this computer to connect. This week the computer in one of the
bedrooms has shown the same fault. After some more testing it seems that
computers on the same mains ring as the device connect to the router can
connect to the network, but devices on any other ring can't. There has been
no work done on the electrics recently.
Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

Hopefully some ****ed off Radio Ham is pointing a beam at your house and
blasting 400 watts of SSB at it.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old October 29th 09, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking

That's what I would also do. I'd check the homeplugs somehow. Is there
any chance to borrow a spare from a friend and check it out?

--

NetPros Community
http://netpros.freeforums.org

Swarfmaker wrote:
I've had a network running for a couple of years using these HomePlug
devices as well has Cat5 and wireless. Recently the computer in the Garage
was unable to connect to the network. I swopped devices about but have been
unable to get this computer to connect. This week the computer in one of the
bedrooms has shown the same fault. After some more testing it seems that
computers on the same mains ring as the device connect to the router can
connect to the network, but devices on any other ring can't. There has been
no work done on the electrics recently.
Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

TIA

Iain- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -

- Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -

Old October 29th 09, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
brushhead

Swarfmaker wrote:
I've had a network running for a couple of years using these HomePlug
devices as well has Cat5 and wireless. Recently the computer in the Garage
was unable to connect to the network. I swopped devices about but have been
unable to get this computer to connect. This week the computer in one of the
bedrooms has shown the same fault. After some more testing it seems that
computers on the same mains ring as the device connect to the router can
connect to the network, but devices on any other ring can't. There has been
no work done on the electrics recently.
Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

TIA

Iain

If you have the network ID set at default, ie HomePlug, then someone may
be using one somewhere else near you and your networks are conflicting.

Set your network ID to something unique with the config app that
normally comes with them. That will clear it.

Rob.
Old October 29th 09, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Conor wrote:

Hopefully some ****ed off Radio Ham is pointing a beam at your house and
blasting 400 watts of SSB at it.

Conor,

I've seen you have a rant about these devices before so out of curiosity
how far away from a ring main can it effect Ham's transmissions.

Geoff Lane

Old October 29th 09, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
swarfmaker

Geoff Lane wrote:
Are you running some version of Windows, maybe some update has altered
some settings somewhere.

I've not used homeplugs but to the best of my knowledge the computer
sees it as an ethernet cable connection.

How many have you got, I'm assuming you have tried substituting
devices.
Geoff Lane

I've tried substituting devices. All of the devices will work quite happily
when on the same circuit. i.e. the downstairs mains ring.
The problem only occurs when I have devices on seperate rings. i.e. upstairs
and downstairs or garage

Old October 29th 09, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
swarfmaker

Conor wrote:
In article , Swarfmaker
says...

I've had a network running for a couple of years using these HomePlug
devices as well has Cat5 and wireless. Recently the computer in the
Garage was unable to connect to the network. I swopped devices about
but have been unable to get this computer to connect. This week the
computer in one of the bedrooms has shown the same fault. After some
more testing it seems that computers on the same mains ring as the
device connect to the router can connect to the network, but devices
on any other ring can't. There has been no work done on the
electrics recently.
Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it?

Hopefully some ****ed off Radio Ham is pointing a beam at your house
and blasting 400 watts of SSB at it.

Thank you for your insightful response Conor. As the saying goes, your
advice is worth exactly what I paid for it.
If you can't say anything useful then JSTFU

Old October 29th 09, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane says...

I've seen you have a rant about these devices before so out of curiosity
how far away from a ring main can it effect Ham's transmissions.

I live 150 metres with a row of houses between me and the one that
affected me. Quite a strong signal - enough to blank out anyone who was
more than a couple of miles away.

Got another one about the same distance in the other direction but it
seems to be quite low level so although its there, I can live with it.

Reports have shown up to 500 feet AFAIR (could be metres but they're all
old gits so its probably in english).