vigor 2800 caller id/display support?

Old November 2nd 09, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

Default vigor 2800 caller id/display support?

Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
VoIP - ATA conversion, and it's been great.

I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
without having to think about it.

Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.
Old November 2nd 09, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"R Johnson" wrote in message
Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
VoIP - ATA conversion, and it's been great.

I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
without having to think about it.

Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

ISTR that there was at least 1 problem with CID many moons ago due to some
update in the firmware, but whether it prevented CID actually being
displayed, I can't remember. I do know there was a problem (not sure if
it's still present or whether it was the phone I was using at the time) of
the number displayed showing the last few digits of the previous 'longer'
incoming number. i.e. if a number consisting of, say, 11 digits (as in most
UK numbers) called after a number consisting of more than 11 digits (e.g
some international), then you would see the 11 digit number with 1 or more
of the last digits of the longer number tagged on to display the same number
of digits as the longer number. In other words (IMHO) the shorter number
did not seem to be completely over-writing some buffer which displayed the
incoming number.

FWIW I'm using firmware 2.8.1 which I know isn't the latest, but there was
some reason for me not using the next latest version (which unfortunately
again, I've forgotten what that was!).

Rob

Old November 2nd 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:35:35 +0000, Rob wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Rob. Mine has older firmware too:
Firmware Version : 2.8.2

Listening on the output of the RJ11 and calling the number, I'm not
hearing a burst of fsk (or dtfm). Nothing, diddly squat. The landline, on
the other hand, has the fsk clearly ahead of the ring. It's like it's
completely missing from the output of the Draytek, but there is no
obvious setting on the GUI :-(

I'll look a bit closer at it tomorrow, but thanks for letting me know it
*should* work, that is a vital. Really appreciate you taking the time.
Thanks.

Old November 3rd 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Rob wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
VoIP - ATA conversion, and it's been great.

I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
without having to think about it.

Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.

Gordon
Old November 3rd 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:11:52 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , Rob
wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK, heres the story so far.

Rebooted the router, put in my trusty Harris test butt, on high imp
monitor. Call Sipgate number, can now hear a burst of fsk. The timing is
a little out compared to a BT line - the burst appears to be a little
quicker and lack the pause ahead of the initial ring of a BT line, if
that makes sense.

So far I've tried five caller ID/Display boxes on it - and only one {a
cheap eBay TP38) would pick up the fsk. Funny enough this cheap phone
struggles to pick up the BT caller display, but had no issues at all with
the Draytek - how weird is that????

Everything else (from my old relate 1000, through the CL50, CL1000, USR
Modem, CALLER ID 2008E and even my recorder interface with CLI fail to
pick out the FSK from the Draytek.

I'm no caller display expert, but I'm starting to wonder if there are
different types of fsk caller display and the Draytek is doing the
fandango :-\

Old November 3rd 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hayes

Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Rob wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've had this problem with the SPA3102 and the cause may be the same with
the Draytek or the PSTN to SIP gateway may be responsible.

CallerID sends two fields. One contains the calling number and the other is
intended to contain the caller's name. With a pure SIP call (dialled using
the IP address), the name field contains whatever the caller has set on
their device. BT don't provide caller name and the name field is empty on
calls going over the PSTN (the Americans do use the name field).

Many phones seem to show the number when the name field is empty but show
the name instead if it's there. However, some can only show the first 8
characters or so of a name although they show all the digits of a number
(name uses 14 display segments per character while number only uses 7).

The SPA3102 tries to be clever and, when the name field is empty, it copies
the caller's number to it. Result - the phone may only show the first few
digits. Silly SPA3102! The phone does have all the digits from the number
field and you can use the callback function which may let you see them.

I only figured this out when I made a direct IP call to an afflicted setup
and saw the name I'd programmed at the calling end. Before then, I'd only
ever seen numbers on the phone except when there was a match in the
phonebook.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK
----Remove colours from reply address----

Old November 3rd 09, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:14:10 +0000, Steve Hayes wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , Rob
wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The weird thing for me is I get nothing at all (no parts of digits, no
names, nothing) out of nearly every caller display unit I've tried, apart
from one cheap eBay phone - which happily displays the whole number
flawlessly. What makes it weird is this cheap phone has flaky caller
display on a normal BT line, sometime it displays the number, sometimes
nothing at all. I'm totally boggled.

It's interesting to note the additional fields being sent, thanks for the
info. It's all a bit odd.
Old November 3rd 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"R Johnson" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:14:10 +0000, Steve Hayes wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , Rob
wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If I get time (and remember!) in the next day or three, I'll try hooking
some other CID phones up to my DrayTek and see what results I get (i.e.
whether they display CID, nothing technical!).

ATM these phones are in use so I can't just plug them in, I'll have to
substitute them with others.

The DECT phone I am using successfully ATM on the DrayTek is an oldish
Binatone 'Activity 1000'.

Something else I just thought of, but probably irrelevant, do you see the
numbers come up in the VoIP log page of the router? (VoIP / Status).

Rob

Old November 3rd 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:11:52 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article ,
Rob wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
VoIP - ATA conversion, and it's been great.

I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
without having to think about it.

Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.

I'm having the same problem with a Vigor 2820Vn using the latest
firmware release (v 3.3.2.1). No CLI shown on the phone. This also
used to work fine for me using a Vigor 2600We

Chris
Old November 3rd 09, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R Johnson

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:46:05 +0000, Rob wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:14:10 +0000, Steve Hayes wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , Rob
wrote:

"R Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Rob,

Yep, in and outbound calls fully detailed in the log on the VoIP status
page.

I see Chris is having an issue too. Over the years of working on BT lines
I can tell the fsk is running just a little bit fast on the Draytek and
the ring is coming in early. I don't think the AC ring is bothering the
CLIP data, as I would expect corruption - not no display at all.

Ummmm.