3Com 2101 IP phone with Asterisk - how to

Old November 8th 09, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CL

Default 3Com 2101 IP phone with Asterisk - how to

I'm playing about with Asterisk W32 and bought a 3Com 2101 IP phone off eBay
for trials.
I can get a softphone to work on my Asterisk and it connects externally.

I'm having difficulty even seeing the 3Com on the network but it slows down
the network to the point where I have to remove the RJ45 cabs from the
phone. There are 2 RJ45's.

Any ideas?

Any pointers for a downloadable manual that works?

Thanks

--
The eMail address used in newsgroups is invalid - reply to group only for me
to see.

Old November 8th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"CL" wrote in message ...
I'm playing about with Asterisk W32 and bought a 3Com 2101 IP phone off eBay for trials.
I can get a softphone to work on my Asterisk and it connects externally.

I'm having difficulty even seeing the 3Com on the network but it slows down the network to the point where I have to remove the
RJ45 cabs from the phone. There are 2 RJ45's.

Any ideas?

Any pointers for a downloadable manual that works?

Thanks

You're not connecting both ports back to your router/switch are you?
Please tell me I am wrong ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 8th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CL

"Graham." wrote in message

"CL" wrote in message
I'm playing about with Asterisk W32 and bought a 3Com 2101 IP phone off
eBay for trials.
I can get a softphone to work on my Asterisk and it connects externally.

I'm having difficulty even seeing the 3Com on the network but it slows
down the network to the point where I have to remove the RJ45 cabs from
the phone. There are 2 RJ45's.

Any ideas?

Any pointers for a downloadable manual that works?

Thanks

You're not connecting both ports back to your router/switch are you?
Please tell me I am wrong ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Hi Graham - thanks for the reply,

Fraid so eventually.

Erm, well it's like this...

Firstly I connected the RJ45 net port near to the power connecter to my
router expecting DHCP on the router to issue an IP address to it but it
didn't.
Went through the phone's menu to set a static IP address, subnet etc within
my network's range and tried pinging it - no response.
Discovered its MAC address as displayed in a menu item was all FF's.
Changed its MAC address and tried DHCP again after resetting IP addr etc
back to FF's - my router still didn't see it.
Saw in the menu that there was option to set 2nd IP address for ( think it
was NCP?? port).
Went through similar procedure as previous thinking that, for some reason it
needed 2 net cables.
Connected 2nd RJ45 cable. Network went up the wall.
Disconnected phone - rebooted router etc - all well on the network again.

If it makes any difference I connect to the router via a Netgear switch in
my computer room. The router is in another part of the house.
Prior to this my network has been fine and is again now.

From your message it would seem I did something drastically wrong though I
don't know what.

I have no handbook for the phone ( bought on eBay ) and have not yet found
any thing on the Web re configuration etc.

Any suggestions welcome?

Thanks

Old November 8th 09, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"CL" wrote in message ...

"Graham." wrote in message ...

"CL" wrote in message ...
[...]

From your message it would seem I did something drastically wrong though I don't know what.

I have no handbook for the phone ( bought on eBay ) and have not yet found any thing on the Web re configuration etc.

Any suggestions welcome?

Thanks

OK, I am no means an expert on IP phones, there are far more knowledgeable
people lurking no doubt.
AIUI, a typical IP phone contains a 3 port switch, one port is effectively
wired internally to the phone itself, and the remaining two to the RJ45 ports.
The idea being that even if your office only has a single network point
you can still use both the phone and your existing PC by connecting
the PC to the "spare" port.
By connecting both ports to 2 ports on the Netgear you have created a
situation analogous to holding the microphone of a PA system up close
to the loudspeaker and chaotic feedback will occur.
As an experiment. I just tried connecting two unused ports of a Netgear 834PN
(which is effectively what you did albeit with a second switch in between).
together. The router seemed to be so preoccupied with processing the flood
of traffic between the two ports, it completely forgot about the WAN (internet)
and even accessing its own web interface proved impossible

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 8th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
William

On 8 Nov, 00:39, "CL" wrote:
I'm playing about with Asterisk W32 and bought a 3Com 2101 IP phone off eBay
for trials.
Any pointers for a downloadable manual that works?

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...User-Guide.pdf

and

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...-Reference.pdf

--
WH
Old November 9th 09, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CL

"Graham." wrote in message

"CL" wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

"CL" wrote in message
[...]

From your message it would seem I did something drastically wrong though
I don't know what.

[...]

OK Graham thanks for that - I was unaware of the second port's function.

Somehow, this evening, following the single RJ45 port connection procedure
as before I now have the phone on my network.
Don't know what I did differently but I now get a PING response from it. (
192.168.1.80 ) that's a static IP - can't get it to DHCP from my router even
with non FF entries in the MAC address.

Anyway, having a connection, I have done a port scan on it with Netview.
Ports 110 and 119 are open though I can't telnet into them on those ports.
Port 80 is closed so there's no config page there.
I did a user specified port scan afterwards in Netview and scanned all ports
4000 - 6000 hoping to see a SIP or IAX port open but they're not.

For my Asterisk ( 192.168.1.110 ) to see the phone there are some parameters
I need to assign to it but don't know how.

Do 3com phones have a proprietary exchange protocol I wonder?
I even wonder whether it's usable on my Asterisk.

Unfortunately, the msg in this thread from William ( thanks William )
linking to user documents doesn't cover network configuration just user
options in the main.
Also, I note that, the function buttons don't provide their intended use as
assigned in those documents.

I am on a steep learning curve re Asterisk at present, I only installed my
Asterisk W32 machine about a week ago.
I assumed any ( RJ45 ) IP phone would connect so bought a tester off eBay.
Maybe there's more to it than I realised.

Old November 9th 09, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CL

"William" wrote in message
On 8 Nov, 00:39, "CL" wrote:
I'm playing about with Asterisk W32 and bought a 3Com 2101 IP phone off
eBay
for trials.
Any pointers for a downloadable manual that works?

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...User-Guide.pdf

and

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...-Reference.pdf

--
WH

Thanks William - have downloaded and working through them.

Old November 11th 09, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CL

The phone has the FTP port ( 21 ) open.

Does anyone have a default use name - tried loads - blank root admin user
phone etc

TTFN