Decent modem router with USB printer support

Old November 12th 09, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Default Decent modem router with USB printer support

Any suggestions for a wifi ADSL Modem router with decent USB printer
support?

Absolutely no Belkins though.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old November 12th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Conor wrote:
Any suggestions for a wifi ADSL Modem router with decent USB printer
support?

Absolutely no Belkins though.

Draytek Vigor is a quality (Or at least my experience is) make, I
haven't got one with USB printer support but would suspect it is reliable.

Geoff Lane
Old November 12th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
{R}

}
} Absolutely no Belkins though.
}
}Draytek Vigor is a quality (Or at least my experience is) make, I
}haven't got one with USB printer support but would suspect it is reliable.
}

Very reliable and plays nicely in a mixed Windows and Linux system.

{R}
Old November 13th 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Geoff Lane wrote:
Conor wrote:
Any suggestions for a wifi ADSL Modem router with decent USB printer
support?

Absolutely no Belkins though.

Draytek Vigor is a quality (Or at least my experience is) make, I
haven't got one with USB printer support but would suspect it is reliable.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2820n which does pretty well "what it says on
the box", that includes having a USB port which can be used for
putting a printer on the network. I did use it to do that and it
worked OK. I no longer use the USB port for a printer because I have a
second ADSL connection now and I'm sharing my two ADSLs using the USB
on the 2820n as its second WAN.

--
Chris Green

Old December 3rd 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brian Graham

On 13 Nov, 13:33, wrote:
Conor wrote:
In article , says...

Geoff Lane wrote:
Conor wrote:
Any suggestions for a wifi ADSL Modemrouterwith decent USB printer
support?

Absolutely no Belkins though.

DraytekVigor is a quality (Or at least my experience is) make, I
haven't got one with USB printer support but would suspect it is reliable.

I have aDraytekVigor 2820n which does pretty well "what it says on
the box", that includes having a USB port which can be used for
putting a printer on the network. *I did use it to do that and it
worked OK. I no longer use the USB port for a printer because I have a
second ADSL connection now and I'm sharing my two ADSLs using the USB
on the 2820n as its second WAN.

Well that's a couple of votes in favour of theDraytek. Must admit its
not one I've used.

They're a bit more expensive than most, though not by a huge amount, I
guess that's why they're not so common/popular. *Their support is
quite good in my experience, I've E-Mailed them a couple of times with
queries (one about intricacies of setting up load balancing) and
they've come back within a reasonable time with helpful replies.

--
Chris Green- Hide quoted text -

Hi Guys,

I have installed the Draytek Range with USB printing support at a
number of sites and it works just fine. The only thing to watch out
for is the normal thing of printers not liking certain types of print
server, for example some brothers will only work with add on cards and
some HP's will only work with JetDirect boxes, appart from that any of
the Draytes which support it will work just as well as a dedicated
print server.

I have used 2900, 2910, 2930, 2600, 2800, and 2820 all worked exactly
as they said on the box. Theonly thing is occasionally the internet
access might screw up and you have to reboot them, this is no where
near as bad as with most routers just something to bear in mind, if
you have a large print job goig through, and you loose internet your
customers or you may have to wait until the job finishes before you
can reboot it to bring back the internet access.

Another small point is that if your Draytek is heavily loaded with
firewall rules, VoIP, QoS etc then adding another trick will further
load the processor and *may* slow down internet access. Just a
thought.

Thanks and Best Wishes
Brian R. Graham
www.it-mk.co.uk
Old December 4th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article c640d711-ccc9-4d6e-ac2d-7ea791a0aad0
@d10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, Brian Graham says...

snip

Many thanks for that Brian. Still not got round to getting one so
there's a nice list there to choose from.