VirginMedia to VOIP

Old November 13th 09, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stanley

Default VirginMedia to VOIP

This very strange sounding info of a price increase was included with
my monthly bill from VM.

I hope this isn't the beginning of VM's revenge on VOIP.

Does this mean if someone got themselves a Sipgate or Skype-In number,
then people calling those numbers from Virgin would get this charge ?

Looking for the latest news on your phone service? You’ve come to the
right place. Read on to find out more about the changes happening on
1st December 2009.
Calls to VOIP
Calling VOIP numbers will cost 9p per minute. Examples of VOIP calls
include some catalogue companies and some credit card companies.
Usually they begin with 0844 but please note that not all 0844 numbers
are VOIP numbers.
Calls to mobiles
Calls to mobiles will change.

I was unaware of a connection between 0844 and VOIP
Old November 13th 09, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Stanley wrote:
[...]

Is it possible they actually mean some 056 numbers?

Gordon
Old November 13th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Stanley" wrote in message
[...]

They are going to charge you 9p/min for calls that are presented
to the recipient on a VoIP line. They are not going to charge you
for calls that you originate using a VoIP service. If you think
about it how would they know?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 13th 09, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

[...]

But isn't that how the OP understands the situation too?

How would they know at any given time if any given number
is VoIP or not?
Perhaps we should all contact VM with a random number and
ask if it carries their VoIP surcharge?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 14th 09, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stanley

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:03:33 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

[...]

So, if a friend gets a number from Skype-in or Sipgate of
01234-567890, if I call it, will I be chaged 9p per min ???
Do they know this is not a geographic landline ?

IMHO, it's a plot to stop people calling 0844 dial-thru numbers that
were ~ 1p per minute.

Personally, when I want to use the landline, I use an 0800 dial thru
number.

Stanley

Old November 17th 09, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

[...]

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%