That's me now

Old November 17th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jef Roe

Default That's me now

fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Old November 17th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Jef Roe says...

fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Except for any amateur radio users or shortwave listeners within a 500
yard radius....

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old November 17th 09, 11:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roger

"Jef Roe" wrote in message
fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Illegal to sell, own and operate in the UK under various sections of the
Wireless Telegraphy Acts. OFCOM refuse to enforce the Law as it
doesn't suit them. They would however deal with anyone else selling
devices which transmit a signal and cause interference, even if it is to
those without suitable technical experience to overcome it.
PLT is illegal unfortunately under current UK Laws.
I'm glad you are enjoying it, you obviously don't realise how VERY
easy it is for others to take advantage of. I hope you monitor your
own network to see who else is connecting and using it. PLT can
travel for some distance and is very insecure. Due to the way it works
it is not even possible to trace which one of your neighbours is using
your connection. All they need is to be on the same mains phase and
to be within a street or two, also a PC running LINUX and some of
the excellent programs available which monitor for a day or two to
reveal any codes used for encryption. Manufacturers don't like to
shout about the security issues as they want you to think the network
stays within your own home and wiring! What a laugh that is. If you
really know what you are doing it is possible to use a simple soundcard
interface with an HF radio (low power of course) and use the local
networks. This usually results in a slow transfer speed and takes ages
to get right.

So before you use PLT, think how secure your network is!

Old November 18th 09, 06:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jef Roe

"Roger" wrote in message

"Jef Roe" wrote in message
[...]

who gives a ****, there are thousands of these being sold, I will not be the
first.

Old November 18th 09, 06:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jef Roe

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Jef Roe says...

fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Except for any amateur radio users or shortwave listeners within a 500
yard radius....

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.

there's far worse things to be concerned about than them eaves droppers.
Ever listened to Tony Hancock's, The Radio Ham....bloody funny that it.

Old November 18th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Jef Roe says...

who gives a ****,

It was in Racdom that they're currently being debated at a very high
level at an international conference with a view to banning them.

Old November 18th 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Victor Meldrew

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:08:45 -0000, Conor wrote:

In article , Jef Roe says...

fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Except for any amateur radio users or shortwave listeners within a 500
yard radius....

http://homeplug-powerline.co.uk/powerline%20FAQs

Do the homeplugs emit electromagnetic interference around the house or
the neighbours' homes?

The homeplugs are tested according to the same standards as all other
electrical devices (EN55022), and generate the same noise level as
with other electrical equipment, they are certified according to all
essential CE standards.

--
HTH
Old November 18th 09, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Victor Meldrew
says...

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:08:45 -0000, Conor wrote:

In article , Jef Roe says...

fully Powergrid networked and its marvellous compared to wireless.

Except for any amateur radio users or shortwave listeners within a 500
yard radius....

http://homeplug-powerline.co.uk/powerline%20FAQs

Do the homeplugs emit electromagnetic interference around the house or
the neighbours' homes?

The homeplugs are tested according to the same standards as all other
electrical devices (EN55022), and generate the same noise level as
with other electrical equipment, they are certified according to all
essential CE standards.

Oh yes, they're certified. One example self certified in a lab. When
they put them out in the real world, they found they needed to up the
power in order for them to work, thus breaking the CE certification.

Old November 18th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Victor Meldrew
says...

The homeplugs are tested according to the same standards as all other
electrical devices (EN55022), and generate the same noise level as
with other electrical equipment, they are certified according to all
essential CE standards.

So why did Ofcom force BT to remove them from a persons house near me
(150ft away) when I put in a complaint of interference from them?

Surely if they're complying, they'd not have caused the interference?

Old November 18th 09, 05:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jef Roe

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Jef Roe says...

who gives a ****,

It was in Racdom that they're currently being debated at a very high
level at an international conference with a view to banning them.

there are thousands of these being sold, I will not be the
first.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.

so you are a Radio Ham then...and who do you spy on with your little
wireless other than those with powergrids.