Quick query re voip and numbers

Old November 20th 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
no-one

Default Quick query re voip and numbers

I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
feasability of the following because my head hurts :-)) :-

A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like the
ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set up a
system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up by
another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets the
incoming calls by switching between them.

Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
I can use more directed searches.

TIA
Old November 20th 09, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 20/11/2009, no-one supposed :
I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
feasability of the following because my head hurts :-)) :-

A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like the
ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set up a
system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up by
another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets the
incoming calls by switching between them.

Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
I can use more directed searches.

TIA

http://www.drogon.net/vdsx/
http://www.gradwell.com/phoneservices/multiuser
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/switchboar...X_services.php

.....might help

or perhaps (though I only found this on a google search) something like
the Simultaneous ring service described here
http://www.albantelecom.co.uk/pages/call_plans.php

"Simultaneous Ring
The incoming call rings on up to 7 different phone numbers at the same
time."

Old November 20th 09, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"no-one" wrote in message news
I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
feasability of the following because my head hurts :-)) :-

A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like the
ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set up a
system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up by
another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets the
incoming calls by switching between them.

Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
I can use more directed searches.

I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
Will both sites have broadband?

This is how I would do it.
Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone adapter + regular phone)
Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or 02 number
for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
Set up the phones with the account details.

Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit number
(usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at normal
geographic rates.

In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the unmanned
site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of the numbers
need be made public.

You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever picks
it up first gets the call.

If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the Counterpath
X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 20th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
no-one

Many thanks to you both for the advice. Appreciated.

Best regards.
Old November 21st 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Graham. wrote on 20/11/2009 :
You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever picks
it up first gets the call.

How did you do this with two Sipgate accounts?

Old November 21st 09, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don

In ,
Graham. typed:
"no-one" wrote in message
news
[...]

You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will
need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the
call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other simply by dialling
the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free
calls between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.
--

Don

Old November 21st 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Don presented the following explanation :

You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need
a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the
call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other simply by dialling
the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free
calls between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.

I didn't know that!

I thought the second device registering would break the other's
registration...

Old November 21st 09, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don

In ,
Jono typed:
Don presented the following explanation :

You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you
will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will
get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other
simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID).
Equally you can make free calls between the two locations by simply
dialling the main number.

I didn't know that!

I thought the second device registering would break the other's
registration...

No - I've had an ATA and two PCs with softphones rgistered at the same time,
and had two conversations going on. X-Lite has three lines (the buttons
immediately under the screen), but I suspect the limit is the broadband link
bandwidth. If you want to try it out, give me a ring on 4818223, and I'll
ring you back from a second phone.
--

Don

Old November 21st 09, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Don" wrote in message ...
In ,
Graham. typed:
"no-one" wrote in message
news
[...]

Precisely.

Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
attachment.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 21st 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:51:34 -0000, "Don" wrote:

You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will
need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the
call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other simply by dialling
the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free
calls between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.

I do this with two ATAs.

--
http://www.birminghamckd.co.uk
Birmingham Choi Kwang Do