Netgear DG834G router giving IP address conflict errors

Old November 24th 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Default Netgear DG834G router giving IP address conflict errors

Has anyone experienced problems with a Netgear DG834G V2 router giving "IP
address conflict" errors on PCs that are given IP addresses by DHCP.

It's a default setup (no IP address reservation, MAC address filtering etc).

There are two PCs (both Windows Vista) which connect wirelessly, though
sometimes the problem occurs even when only one PC is turned on.

I'm not sure what firmware the router has, what IP address the PC is being
allocated and what entries exist in the DHCP client table.

I've not seen the problem with any other Netgear DG834G/GT/PN routers, and
even this one has not shown the problem until recently - it has worked fine
for several years.

Old November 24th 09, 02:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:01:47 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

Has anyone experienced problems with a Netgear DG834G V2 router giving "IP
address conflict" errors on PCs that are given IP addresses by DHCP.

It's a default setup (no IP address reservation, MAC address filtering etc).

There are two PCs (both Windows Vista) which connect wirelessly, though
sometimes the problem occurs even when only one PC is turned on.

I'm not sure what firmware the router has, what IP address the PC is being
allocated and what entries exist in the DHCP client table.

If the error happens at one PC when the other PC is switched off then that
sounds like a third device configured for fixed IP address at the start of
the DHCP pool is coming online after the PC received its lease assignment.

I've not seen the problem with any other Netgear DG834G/GT/PN routers, and
even this one has not shown the problem until recently - it has worked fine
for several years.

Maybe a neighbour is visiting your network?. Unless you have forgotten
about a device of your own, perhaps it's time to change your wireless
security key.

Tony
Old November 24th 09, 07:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Perry

"Martin" wrote in message
o.uk...
Has anyone experienced problems with a Netgear DG834G V2 router giving "IP
address conflict" errors on PCs that are given IP addresses by DHCP.

What is the exact error and how is it being shown.

It's a default setup (no IP address reservation, MAC address filtering
etc).

I do hope WPA2 is being used.

There are two PCs (both Windows Vista) which connect wirelessly, though
sometimes the problem occurs even when only one PC is turned on.

It sounds like Vista is set with one IP address, not to ask the router for
one
to be assigned.

I'm not sure what firmware the router has, what IP address the PC is being
allocated and what entries exist in the DHCP client table.

No hope for your then !

I've not seen the problem with any other Netgear DG834G/GT/PN routers, and
even this one has not shown the problem until recently - it has worked
fine for several years.

It isn't the router causing the problem, someone else is probably using the
network so two computers are confusing it!

Old November 25th 09, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

"Jon" wrote in message

Does one of the machines have a static IP set up? If the machine A is
configured as 192.168.1.2 and the router is trying to assign 192.168.1.2
to the second machine?

No, both PCs have the standard "Use DHCP" setting for TCP. The error message
is the normal Windows one about an IP address conflict - a yellow balloon
which appears above the two-computers (XP) or one-computer (Vista) network
icon just after booting, presumably as the PC is requesting an IP address.

Old November 25th 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Don C

"Martin" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jon" wrote in message

Does one of the machines have a static IP set up? If the machine A is
configured as 192.168.1.2 and the router is trying to assign 192.168.1.2
to the second machine?

No, both PCs have the standard "Use DHCP" setting for TCP. The error
message is the normal Windows one about an IP address conflict - a yellow
balloon which appears above the two-computers (XP) or one-computer (Vista)
network icon just after booting, presumably as the PC is requesting an IP
address.

If you only have the 2 PCs (DHCP) and the router on your network, one of
these must have a static IP address within the DHCP range.

The router must have a static IP, so my guess is that the DHCP range has
been altered to include the router's IP.

Set the router IP to Say 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

Set the DHCP range to start at 192.168.1.128, end 192.168.1.254

This will give you a large group of dynamic IPs; whilst allowing you to
assign statics if you need to.

Test. If you still have problems, id so you have something else on your
network.

You can look at the at the DG834 for "attached devices" and see what the
router can see on the network. (note: devices must "broadcast", some
firewalls will stop them being seen)

BR

Don C

P.S.

I have dozens of DG834 (v2 and v3) on client sites. I have very little
problems with them.