Wildly varying DSL sync rate - affects IP profile

Old November 24th 09, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Default Wildly varying DSL sync rate - affects IP profile

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the following
problem?

My girlfriend's DSL connection has started experiencing very wide variations
in DSL sync rate, after previously being fairly steady at about 2500 kbps.

When the router is rebooted, it now initially syncs at around 3500-4500
kbps. But sometimes, over the course of a few hours, the sync rate that the
router reports drops drastically - maybe to 1500 kbps but on several
occasions it's been as low as 160 kbps :-(

Unfortunately if it stays at 160 kbps for too long before she notices, the
exchange reduces the IP profile to a corresponding value (eg 135 kbps) and
it then takes many hours for the profile to recover even after the router
has been rebooted and is syncing at 3000 again.

The router is a Netgear DG834PN. Its log file and connection status show
that the connection hasn't dropped and reconnected at all as the sync rate
falls.

The symptom does not seem to be related to times when the phone rings or
when it's used for incoming or outgoing calls. Nor is it related to use of
the nearby microwave oven.

Typical connection stats a

speed 4960 448 kbps
atten 39.0 21.0 dB
margin 14.9 19.0 dB

speed 3648 448
atten 39.0 21.0
margin 10.6 20.0

speed 1440 448
atten 41.0 21.0
margin 30.1 20.0

speed 160 448
atten 39.0 21.0
margin 30.1 18.0

So the attenuation varies slightly, but sometimes the speed drops to give a
greater noise margin. However even at the highest speed, the noise margin is
still well above the advised minimum margin of about 6 dB.

The house has two phone sockets (both are labelled BT but neither is a
two-part socket with removable faceplate and test socket inside). One socket
is unused and has no filter, the other socket has a filter into which the
router and a cordless phone's base station are plugged.

As yet I've not been able to test with a different router, filter or DSL
cable, though I will do this when I'm next there.

I've tested using the other BT socket and with the phone unplugged from the
filter, but the problem still exists.

Old November 24th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Perry

"Martin" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

You need to find the master socket and plug the router in to that to test.
It sounds like some cowboy has fitted those sockets, so you might need
to buy a master socket and fit it to the cable where it enters the house.
Remove the wires for the extension if they are not used.
Once that is done you can report the fault to the ISP if it still exists.

Old November 24th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

David Perry wrote:

You need to find the master socket and plug the router in to that to test.

It sounds like some cowboy has fitted those sockets, so you might need
to buy a master socket and fit it to the cable where it enters the house.
Remove the wires for the extension if they are not used.
Once that is done you can report the fault to the ISP if it still exists.

Warning: David Perry WAS Roger, and still is as inadequate.

--
Adrian C
Old November 25th 09, 12:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

"David Perry" wrote in message

You need to find the master socket and plug the router in to that to test.
It sounds like some cowboy has fitted those sockets, so you might need
to buy a master socket and fit it to the cable where it enters the house.
Remove the wires for the extension if they are not used.
Once that is done you can report the fault to the ISP if it still exists.

Well both sockets have "BT" stamped on the front. Does that tend to imply
that they were installed by BT or are they available for end users to
install as well?

I'll have a look to see where the overhead line enters the house and try and
trace its route to the sockets to see which is the closest one to the
outside world and which is the spur off that first one.

By the way, if there is no master socket (as in two-part faceplate socket
with the extension wiring attached to the faceplate) is it legal for the
customer to fit one or will BT want to do it themselves.

Old November 28th 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:10:55 -0000
"Martin" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the
following problem?

My girlfriend's DSL connection has started experiencing very wide
variations in DSL sync rate, after previously being fairly steady at
about 2500 kbps.

Neighbour using a Homeplug network?

Old December 5th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

news:[email protected]
"Martin" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the
following problem?

My girlfriend's DSL connection has started experiencing very wide
variations in DSL sync rate, after previously being fairly steady at
about 2500 kbps.

Neighbour using a Homeplug network?

It's been rectified now. The message that I got from her ISP (Tiscali) was
that BT had "increased the gain to reduce the line noise".

Old December 5th 09, 03:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:59:52 -0000
"Martin" wrote:

It's been rectified now. The message that I got from her ISP
(Tiscali) was that BT had "increased the gain to reduce the line
noise".

I still wonder what's causing the noise - the figures you posted showed
that the actual connection looked healthy enough. No matter, I suppose,
as long as boosting the gain is enough to drown it out.