Force network interface in XP

Old November 24th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oldish Git

Default Force network interface in XP

Two PCs, both connected via 100Mbps ethernet ports to a 4-port
ADSL modem router for internet access, using DHCP. Both PCs
are also linked by firewire using static IPs. How do (can?) I force
file copying to be over the firewire network connection, rather than
through the slower ethernet ports, which is what is happening ATM?
Is this where the 'route' command comes in?
Any way of using both interfaces simutaneously to speed file copying
between these machines further?

--
Rob

Old November 24th 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Oldish Git wrote:
Two PCs, both connected via 100Mbps ethernet ports to a 4-port
ADSL modem router for internet access, using DHCP. Both PCs
are also linked by firewire using static IPs. How do (can?) I force
file copying to be over the firewire network connection, rather than
through the slower ethernet ports, which is what is happening ATM?

Browsing to the PC by IP address (of the Firewire interface) instead of
name should do the trick. (Probably a suitable name in the hosts file
will work too.)

Is this where the 'route' command comes in?
Any way of using both interfaces simutaneously to speed file copying
between these machines further?

I read that someone managed to do so by creating a suitable route - I'd
guess to the Firewire IP via the Ethernet interface with a gateway of
the Ethernet interface of the other machine, specifying the same metric
as the route that is created by default. Whether this would work I don't
know, and I'm sceptical of much/any advantage anyway, but worth a try...
firewalls might get in the way so try with them disabled.

Using the trick above would let you do two transfers with one going over
each interface, but if both transfers involve a single physical drive on
one or both ends there's a good chance it'll end up slower than doing
them sequentially due to thrashing.

Alex
Old November 28th 09, 03:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Oldish Git

"Alex Fraser" Wrote
Oldish Git wrote:
Two PCs, both connected via 100Mbps ethernet ports to a 4-port
ADSL modem router for internet access, using DHCP. Both PCs
are also linked by firewire using static IPs. How do (can?) I force
file copying to be over the firewire network connection, rather than
through the slower ethernet ports, which is what is happening ATM?

Browsing to the PC by IP address (of the Firewire interface) instead of
name should do the trick. (Probably a suitable name in the hosts file will
work too.)

That worked great, Alex, many thanks.

I used Map Network Drive, browsed to the drive, then replaced the
computer name with the IP address of the Firewire interface at the
other end before clicking Finish. Copying large files to/from the 2nd
computer now averages over 25MB/s, which is fast enough, so I don't
think I'll now bother trying to get it working using both interfaces
simultaneously.

Thanks again,
--
Rob